It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smaller Air Force One

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Any Air Force craft on which the President travels is called Air Force One.

Air Force One is the air traffic control call sign of any U.S. Air Force aircraft carrying the President of the United States. Since 1990, the presidential fleet has consisted of two specifically configured, highly customized Boeing 747-200B series aircraft—tail numbers 28000 and 29000—with Air Force designation VC-25A. While these planes are only referred to as "Air Force One" while the president is on board, the term is commonly used to describe either of two aircraft normally used and maintained by the U.S. Air Force solely for the president.

The VC-25A is capable of flying 12,600 km (7,800 miles)—roughly one-third of the distance around the world—without refueling and can accommodate more than 70 passengers. Before these planes entered service, two Boeing 707-320B-type aircraft—tail numbers 26000 and 27000—had operated as Air Force One starting in 1962. The Air Force designation for these aircraft was VC-137. Since its inception, Air Force One has become a symbol of presidential power and prestige.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
There is no designated AF2, or planes deisgnated for certain people. AF2 is any plane the VP is on, and the others are chosen based on where they are going to. The 757s for longer flights, the VC-9s for shorter ones.

Oh yes, how could I forget... And that is only to make it easier to know where the President is... In fact when the president "landed" a plane on a carrier a while ago that plane was "Air-force one"... very true Zaphod58...

BTW, what kinda plane was it BTW, defenetly not a fighter, was it an S-3 Viking...??

[edit on 18-11-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Actually it was Navy 1. It depends on what service owns the plane. When he's on a Marine helicopter it's Marine 1. If it's an Army helicopter, it's Army 1.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBurns
I was at a Temple U football game (at WVU's stadium) a few years back, and I remember seeing a smaller aircraft that looked similar to Air Force One (painting and the words "United States of America"). Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I'm not sure of the exact number, but there are quite a few planes that are painted similar to "Air Force 1". These planes are used by not only the President and VP, but also the Secretary of State, Defense, etc. While painted like AF1, they're only called AF1 when the Prez is aboard.

Most of this was already mentioned, but I wanted to lump it all together for those who are still confused! lol

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
If the President of the United States flies on a Cessna or the Space Shuttle it is Air Force One. The aircraft type doesn't matter. It the Pres flies on a C-12 (King Air) it is Air Force One. AF1 is just a call sign.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Unless of course it's a Navy, Marine, or Army Cessna. lol

Stupid trivia time.

The reason it's Air Force was was because one of the Presidents (I can't remember which) was flying down to Georgia, to play golf. Back then the military call signs with ATC were the tail number of the plane. ATC called up and said "618, descend to 15,000", and the AF pilots called back and said "Roger. Descend to 15,000." Followed shortly by "Eastern 618 roger. Descend to 15,000." After that iniciden they realized that they had to have a special call sign for the plane the President was flying on so that there wouldn't be any confusion about who the ATC was talking to. It was decided that whatever service aircraft he was flying on, the callsign would be the One.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Originally posted by firstplacerifles
When i was in DC, the dummy AF1 was the first to land. When both were approaching the runway, we saw a 2 man sniper team up on a tower. It was quite possibly the biggest rifle i have seen in my entire life.

Did it look like this?

They were in a tower a few hundred feet away, so i can't ID it exactly, but it was HUGE. I wan't the first to notice it, but i was alerted to it when i heard " HOLY $@&* LOOK AT THE SIZE O' THAT GUN"

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by firstplacerifles
there are dozens of look alikes, so the anarchists don't know which jet to shoot down.

When i was in DC, the dummy AF1 was the first to land. When both were approaching the runway, we saw a 2 man sniper team up on a tower. It was quite possibly the biggest rifle i have seen in my entire life.

It's not a "dummy" AF1, it's the backup incase the primary breaks down.

It is a dummy, a Colonel at the AFB said it was... Not to mention the First plane didn't land, it made a really low pass over the runway, and then went full throttle.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
We've have many good friends that were on the flight crews of AF1. The second plane is NOT a dummy plane. It travels with them in case the first one breaks. What's the point of having a dummy plane that leaves 30 minutes to an hour after AF1, and LANDS an hour AFTER AF1? If you're gonna have a dummy it would make more sense to have them both take off at the same time, and NOT let people watch which plane he gets on before they leave.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
This is my favorite "smaller Air Force One." Maybe in a few years it could happen. After all, Bush has been hinting at fantastic technologies in the works.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Doesn't the other plane also bring members of the press corp?

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Some members of the press travel on AF1 with the President, but the majority of them travel on a chartered 747 that travels with the two planes.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
There is a whole fleet of planes that fallows Air Force 1 around. These planes preform many different missions. Here's a short list of some of the Planes:

VC-25A (Air Force 1)
F-15's (Security)
E-4 NEACP (Provides emergency command link to the Pentagon)
KC-135 (refuling)
C-5 (carried the presidential motar cade and extra equipment.
C-141 (carries extar secret sevice people and AF1 back up flight crew)

When you See Air Force 1, there are atleast 10 more planes you don't see.

Tim

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Actually, the E-4 has been replaced by a G-V, the F-15s only follow AF1 on Secret Service request, the C-141 is out of inventory, and there are 2-4 C-5s that carry the limo, Secret Service vehicles, and helicopters in about a week ahead, and they NEVER do inflight refueling with the President onboard unless it's a dire emergency.

Counting the Press plane, back-up, and C-5s you do have 8-10 planes with them, but not quite the ones you think.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Actually, the E-4 has been replaced by a G-V,

Not according to the Air Force's website:

Factsheets: E-4B

If you have a source to the contrary, would you please share it?

Tim

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I would love to, except that it's not on the web. The last four times AF1 has been through here there has been either a G-IV or a G-V parked in the Hawaii ANG hangar, and no E-4.

Your factsheet says that it is a command post for the President, which it IS, but it doesn't say anywhere that it follows AF1 around. It USED to during the cold war, but they switched to smaller planes now.

[edit on 3/22/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I know the E-4 is still used. In fact I have an article about the Defense Department sending one on a operational mission back on Septenber 11, 2001.

However, maybe you are right that they don't fallow the president. Let's see if we can figure this out.

Tim

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
For the record, incase you misunderstood, I'm not saying the E-4 FLEET was replaced, just the E-4 that travels with the President.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Ok! Fair enough.

Tim

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Is there any foreign equivalent of AirForce One?

Wonder what other countries use for thiers?

The British royal family use an Avro RJX as thier private jet and has a red tail with the Union Jack, I remember it flying over my house!

Not exactly this one but same type of plane though
aeroflt.users.netlink.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join