It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smaller Air Force One

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I was at a Temple U football game (at WVU's stadium) a few years back, and I remember seeing a smaller aircraft that looked similar to Air Force One (painting and the words "United States of America"). Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Yes, there is also A DC-9/MD-80 the President uses when traveling to smaller airfields, I used to see it all the time coming in and out of Teterboro in NJ when the President was visiting NYC. I will go look it up when I get back, but I've seen it more than once.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Air Force .5?

I can see the 747 replaced soon though with that new Boeing record flight of 11,000 miles with no refuel. Smaller and flies further, perfect replacement.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Just think if the next one is 'Airbus Force One'. Wouldn't that kick up a stink!

[edit on 17-11-2005 by waynos]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Almost as much as "air force TU" would

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I my self have never heard of the President using smaller airplanes for smaller airports.

When the President visited my city, he flew into a regional Airport with Air Force One and then hopped over to a smaller airport in our city with Marine One (Helicopter)

Any info on the DC-9/MD-80 would be great.

Here is some more info on Air Force One:

Air Force One is the air traffic control call sign of any U.S. Air Force aircraft carrying the President of the United States. Since 1990, the presidential fleet has consisted of two specifically configured, highly customized Boeing 747-200B series aircraft—tail numbers 28000 and 29000—with Air Force designation VC-25A. While these planes are only referred to as "Air Force One" while the president is on board, the term is commonly used to describe either of two aircraft normally used and maintained by the U.S. Air Force solely for the president.

The VC-25A is capable of flying 12,600 km (7,800 miles)—roughly one-third of the distance around the world—without refueling and can accommodate more than 70 passengers. Before these planes entered service, two Boeing 707-320B-type aircraft—tail numbers 26000 and 27000—had operated as Air Force One starting in 1962. The Air Force designation for these aircraft was VC-137.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
There are (or used to be) VC-137s, C-135s, VC-9s, VC-20s, VC-37s, and VC-32s at Andrews that are all painted exactly the same as Air Force One, minus the Seal.

In order they are 707 Intercontinental, 707-158, DC-9, Gulfstream IV, Gulfstream V, and 757. There are also a few 737 BBJs that are in the inventory that are painted the same way.

Two of the VC-137s were the previous AF1, they are both retired and in museums now. Tail number 26000 and 27000. 27000 was the primary in later years, 26000 took Kennedy's body back from Dallas and had Johnson sworn in on it.

The VC-9s are basically DC-9s with an extra fuel tank in one cargo hold, and an extremely nice VIP interior.

[edit on 11/17/2005 by Zaphod58]

[edit on 11/17/2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
there are dozens of look alikes, so the anarchists don't know which jet to shoot down.

When i was in DC, the dummy AF1 was the first to land. When both were approaching the runway, we saw a 2 man sniper team up on a tower. It was quite possibly the biggest rifle i have seen in my entire life.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
skippytjc - The Presidential 747 can fly half way around the world without refueling. The 747 has a lot of life still in it.
A few years back he (the pres) got a new bulletproof limo, and currently underway is his new helicopter.

I would expect the 747 to be in service for the president for another 20 or so years, and in the mean time if they feel the need to make them more efficient, they can put those new wings boeing is making on it, along with the new 787's engines.

for the topic: Yes, The president has several planes, other then the two 747's. Which are for smaller airports...but I’m not talking about really small local town airports.

It’s also possible that what you saw was not for the president. But other various people that travel along with.
Like so…..

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by firstplacerifles
there are dozens of look alikes, so the anarchists don't know which jet to shoot down.

When i was in DC, the dummy AF1 was the first to land. When both were approaching the runway, we saw a 2 man sniper team up on a tower. It was quite possibly the biggest rifle i have seen in my entire life.

Wrong, there are not dozens of look alikes, There are two 747 Air Force One's. The dummy aircraft you saw was not its sister aircraft, but a plane that is in my previous posts picture. Its all apart of the Presidents entorage, also is the 2 C-5 Transport planes, which hual the presidents limos, other various vehicles, and sometimes a helicopter.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
there is also a 757 that the pres. and v.p use to get into smaller airports. whatever plane the pres. is in is named airforce one. and airforce 2 for the vp. that plane comes into the airport i work at. infact it was in within the last two weeks with the v.p.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The only thing the other planes that are painted similar to Air Force One have to do with it are that they are in the same squadron. It has nothing to do with wanting to confuse people, they're just painted similar.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Did it look like this?

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   

It's not a "dummy" AF1, it's the backup incase the primary breaks down.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I can see the 747 replaced soon though with that new Boeing record flight of 11,000 miles with no refuel. Smaller and flies further, perfect replacement.

Hmm, I'm not so sure, I don't know if they will be willing to go to a twin engined aircraft with the inherent limitations that imposes.

I'm thinking along the lines of the ETOPS restrictions - with the 747, two engines have to go wrong before your in deep trouble.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Air Force .5?

Cute, but not quiet!
Air Force 1 is the call sign. If you put Bush in an F-16, it would still be Air Force 1.

Tim

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
It’s also possible that what you saw was not for the president. But other various people that travel along with.
Like so…..

The plane in this picture is an E-4 Airborne Command Post, Not Air Force One. Air Force 1 is a VC-25A. The President has flown on this plane too. It was used September 11, 2001. The E-4 is not for pleasure or show, it was built to fight a war.

Tim

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I think his point was that there are other planes besides AF1 that travel with the President that it could have been, besides AF1, not that this was AF1.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Might be that I'am way out of course, but in my opinion this is AF 2... The plane isn't used by the President, but by his ministers...

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
There is no designated AF2, or planes deisgnated for certain people. AF2 is any plane the VP is on, and the others are chosen based on where they are going to. The 757s for longer flights, the VC-9s for shorter ones.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join