It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confessions of a Marine

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
In a just-published book, Master-Sergeant Jimmy Massey tells about his mission to recruit for, then fight in, the war in Iraq. He tells why he killed. And cracked.

Jimmy Massey is 34 years old. He's originally a Texas boy, raised as a good Southern Baptist who loves squirrel hunting with his air rifle. After 12 years in the Marines, Jim is a broken man, a veteran afflicted with Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome, a depressive hooked on his medications, haunted by the nightmare images in which he massacres innocent civilians, scenes experienced in Iraq when he was nothing but a killing machine. Jim has cracked, has withdrawn from the service for medical reasons, and has written a raw and brutal book. Telling the life of a Marine of today, revealing "how he talks, how he thinks, how he #s, and how he kills." The army denies the facts and his former comrades have insulted, rejected, and threatened him. His testimony ulcerates Neo-Conservative America and shocks the politically correct. In the United States, no publishing house has dared to publish his manuscript. Extracts follow.

When a kid told me he had taken Ecstasy, here's the sort of conversation we'd have: "Listen, guy, are you sure it was really Ecstasy? Maybe it was Doliprane." When I said that, I'd nod my head up and down. "Yeah, I'm not sure, in fact." "So you think it was Doliprane?" still nodding my head. "Yeah, it was Doliprane." [...]

We had reached the military site Al-Rashid on an overcast, dark and sinister day. [...] When we stopped, I saw ten Iraqis, about 150 yards away. They were under forty years old, clean and dressed in the traditional white garment. They stayed on the side of the road waving signs and screaming anti-American slogans. [...] That's when I heard a shot pass just over our heads, from right to left. I ran into the middle of the street to see what was happening. I had barely rejoined Schutz when my guys unloaded their weapons on the demonstrators. It only took me three seconds to take aim. I aimed my sights on the center of a demonstrator's body. I breathed in deeply and, as I exhaled, I gently opened my right eye and fired. I watched the bullets hit the demonstrator right in the middle of his chest. My Marines barked: "Come on, little girls! You wanna fight?"

Those demonstrators were the first people I killed. [...] That had a hell of an effect on me. What an adrenaline, rush, #! Fear becomes a motor. It pushes you. It had more of an impact on me than the best grass I ever smoked. It was as though all those I had ever hated, all the anger that was accumulated in me was there in that being; you feel like you're absorbing life like a cannibal. You're really happy with yourself; you feel really powerful and everything becomes clear. You reach nirvana, like a white luminous space. But after a few hours, you come down from nirvana and find yourself in dark waters; you swim in a pool of mud and the only way to go back to that other feeling is to kill again. [...]

[...] Captain Schmitt came towards me and asked me, very calmly: "Are you OK, Chief-Sergeant? [...]" "- No, Captain. I'm not OK." "- Why not?" I answered without hesitation: "It's a bad day. We killed a lot of innocent civilians." "- No. It's a good day," he retorted in an authoritarian tone. Before I had time to answer, he had already moved away from me with a confident tread.

Kill! Kill! Kill! by Jimmy Massey (with Natasha Saulnier), published by Editions du Panama, 390 p., 22 Euros

Original Source: NouveLobs
Translated Source: TruthOut

That would be an interestng book to buy.

I guess it is Not available in any bookstores in USA.

I have only found it on French Amazon.

When it comes to books like that, no publishing houses in US have the Guts to print it - probably if they did print it, the goverment would put them out of work in a jiffy.

How does the First Amendment of US Constitution sound?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Yeah Right...

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
www.antiwar.com...

So what broke this career marine so thoroughly? It happened, he said, the first time he killed a group of civilians at a checkpoint. They didn't stop at the right spot, so Massey says, he and his comrades "discharged our weapons." At the moment he realized what they'd done, Massey says, he "got a conscience," and all the power the US military's patriotic rhetoric had over this man's mind was gone. That was the beginning of the end for Massey's stay in the Iraq and the marines. The killing of civilians in this fashion at checkpoints in Iraq is, according to this witness and a simple google search, a "common story." Johns Hopkins University and the British medical journal Lancet have estimated that as many as 100,000 Iraqi civilians have lost their lives due to this war. How many Iraqi humans, whether wounded themselves or having had members of their families wounded or killed deal with the same nightmares as Jimmy Massey? It's his question, and a good one. Massey now travels the world, speaking out against war, as a true believer in the Greatness of American power, turned steadfast opponent of war and its consequences.

they didnt stop at the right spot? at a checkpoint. and after wat we have seen wat happens wen people get to close, Marines and soldiers dont take chances. yes its a tragedy wen soldiers have a split second decision to fire or not after seeing other comrades getting killed by people who dont dress like soldiers and dont carry revealling weapons.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Confessions of a Terrorist (10 of them to be exact)

Link

"I took part in the decapitation of 10 Iraqis, all of them policemen," a man who gave his name as Muhammad Hamud Muhammad Musa and claimed he was Sudanese, told the US-financed Iraqiya television station.

"I was paid $50 for each beheading even though I'd been promised a lot more."

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
they didnt stop at the right spot? at a checkpoint. and after wat we have seen wat happens wen people get to close, Marines and soldiers dont take chances. yes its a tragedy wen soldiers have a split second decision to fire or not after seeing other comrades getting killed by people who dont dress like soldiers and dont carry revealling weapons.

I just wanna ask, why is this book not pubished in the States, but in France?

When ex-marines want to critisie the Military, they are just removed.

Nobody dares to go against the Military.

Nobody wants to see the Real Deal in Iraq.

People just Cover up their eyes and ears and just like skippy - skip the topic to the "Terror-Terrorist-Terroism" part and ignore anything anti-war.

This is just 4 you skippy:

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

I just wanna ask, why is this book not pubished in the States, but in France?

i dont know...maybe u can find dat out for yerself. i have read many books in the states dat tells about their own personal stories and wat they felt about the war they served in along with how they live in the military community.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Gee, Souljah, it could be said the same of you. Seems you have ignored a LOT of stuff while you have done nothing but dig up garbage to throw at the U.S.

Single-minded, myopic people are rarely taken seriously, and neither is anything they find as "evidence" to support their rants. You might think about that.

Ever thought about why maybe his friends and fellow Marines shun him? Oh, yeah, because they are cold-blooded killers and he is now a broken man who has realized what an animal he was and wants to confess and make right with God, right?
Maybe there's another possibility. Maybe he's just another dirtbag who wants to write a book and make bunches of money. Maybe he's just another one of those little creeps who you'll find in bars all over the world, trying to impress people with made up stories. Mayube there are no American publishers who want to get involved with such a creature.

By the way, you quote the American constitution. What do you know about it? Are you saying that the U.S. Marine Corps has told all the publishers not to touch it? Hmm. Interesting. Well, I suppose that you can give evidence that all the publishers were contacted andthey all declined based upn threats, cohersion and intimidation, right?

Gee, an anti-American book. I would never have thought that one could find that on French E-Bay! Not the French!?!

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Souljah, dont confuse that fact that I post on your threads with my ability to see your rants. You have been comfortably ignored for quite some time now. I only can assume what you muse from other people replies. And of course the uter predictability of your typical content.

So if you feel that I am ignoring you or your topic, its because I am. But that wont stop me from posting my thoughts on what others are replying with.

[edit on 3-11-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Gee, Souljah, it could be said the same of you. Seems you have ignored a LOT of stuff while you have done nothing but dig up garbage to throw at the U.S.

I don't have to Dig Garbage - it always Floats on the Surface.

Single-minded, myopic people are rarely taken seriously, and neither is anything they find as "evidence" to support their rants. You might think about that.

Hmmmmmm...

You mean like the "Evidence" that Saddam had WMDs?

And the "Evidence" that Saddam was Connected to Al-Qaeda?

Ever thought about why maybe his friends and fellow Marines shun him? Oh, yeah, because they are cold-blooded killers and he is now a broken man who has realized what an animal he was and wants to confess and make right with God, right?

Could it be, that he was telling the Truth about the War in Iraq and THATS why nobody wants to see it? Oh no, wait - US marines do not kill innocent civilans, just those guilty ones, right?

Maybe there's another possibility. Maybe he's just another dirtbag who wants to write a book and make bunches of money. Maybe he's just another one of those little creeps who you'll find in bars all over the world, trying to impress people with made up stories. Mayube there are no American publishers who want to get involved with such a creature.

Or Maybe he is what he says he is.

And MAYBE thats why you are Scared of him and what he tells to the World.

We don't want any Anti-War Talk here, do we?

Marine Staff Segt. Jimmy Massey (Ret.), former Marine staff sergeant who was honorably discharged in December 2004, after serving 12 years, most recently in Iraq. He is from Waynesville, North Carolina in the Smokey Mountains.

By the way, you quote the American constitution. What do you know about it? Are you saying that the U.S. Marine Corps has told all the publishers not to touch it? Hmm. Interesting. Well, I suppose that you can give evidence that all the publishers were contacted andthey all declined based upn threats, cohersion and intimidation, right?

I know enough about US Constitution to know, what Freedom of Speech means. And clearly, nobody wanted to publish this book, because they knew, that this "Freedom" is not going to protect them.

Gee, an anti-American book. I would never have thought that one could find that on French E-Bay! Not the French!?!

Ah yes - the French Backstabbers right?

They have done it again!

Filthy Frog Eaters!

[edit on 3/11/05 by Souljah]

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Souljah, dont confuse that fact that I post on your threads with my ability to see your rants. You have been comfortably ignored for quite some time now. I only can assume what you muse from other people replies. And of course the uter predictability of your typical content.

So if you feel that I am ignoring you or your topic, its because I am. But that wont stop me from posting my thoughts on what others are replying with.

Why do you have the NEED to tell me that every time?

Seriously - just put me on Ignore and Ignore me, but stop saying that each and every time.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

no publishing houses in US have the Guts to print it - probably if they did print it, the goverment would put them out of work in a jiffy.

O please! Let's not even go there. You mean to tell me that you actually believe or have the slightest shred of evidence that a publisher would be shut down for printing this? That's laughable. Don't believe every thing you read on truthout.org or antibush.com. Freedom of the press is written into the Constitution, and unless you can find some proof that this guy was shut out or threatened you're just making wild baseless accusations.

The real truth is that this is just anther anti-Bush leftist that's trying to make a quick buck. If this guy really felt bad for what he did, and wanted to get the word out, then why is he charging $100 a pop for people to hear his story. Just look at his website. It even states it at the very top of the page, "Antiwar activist". He feels so strongly about his experience that he wants to get the word out....for a price of course. It's just about the money for him.

I don't find it hard to believe that his book titled "Kill! Kill! Kill!" had problems selling itself. It wouldn't' sell in the US and publishers know this. It had nothing to do with any pressure from the government. It's just another "I hate the war" book, and there are too many in circulation right now. Liberals already have thier shelves stocked with these things, and coservatives won't buy them, thus they have to go over-seas to find a market. I bet there are lots of people in France that would love this book, or any book that slams the US for that matter. Good marketing plan on the publishers part.

EDIT: Whoops! his story is on sale now for $50. Buy now and get free shipping. This has all the class of a television evangelist asking for handouts.

[edit on 3-11-2005 by dbates]

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

:

Give this man a cigar.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
TC,
I would give you a WATS if I could

dbates,
that is for his 2 disc dvd set. Guess he can't make arrangements to overseas ship his book into the US like everyone else could of. Probably the shipments would have been held up in customs or lost.

Good show again there Souljah way to set the record straight once again

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
O please! Let's not even go there. You mean to tell me that you actually believe or have the slightest shred of evidence that a publisher would be shut down for printing this? That's laughable. Don't believe every thing you read on truthout.org or antibush.com. Freedom of the press is written into the Constitution, and unless you can find some proof that this guy was shut out or threatened you're just making wild baseless accusations.

Do you seriously think that this kind of Book would get printed in USA and sold without any problems? Why didn't they print it then in the Land of the Free Press? How come, the book has been published in France then?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Probably because the France is the "Enemy of the Free World" and is in "Bed with Terrorists"!

The real truth is that this is just anther anti-Bush leftist that's trying to make a quick buck. If this guy really felt bad for what he did, and wanted to get the word out, then why is he charging $100 a pop for people to hear his story. Just look at his website. It even states it at the very top of the page, "Antiwar activist". He feels so strongly about his experience that he wants to get the word out....for a price of course. It's just about the money for him.

Whats wrong with being anti-war?

He WAS in this War, he saw how it looks like, he did not LIKE it very much (in contrary to others, that apparently enjoy it) and today he decided, to write a book about his experience. You really think he wants to make BIG BUCKS?

Seriously - how much Money did Bush make out of "This War"?

Or the Vice-President?

And you are Accusing HIM of GREED?

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Why didn't they print it then in the Land of the Free Press? How come, the book has been published in France then?

Someone's not listening. The point was that it's much easier to sell "I hate the U.S.A." books in France than in the U.S.A. He's not selling it in the U.S. because he knows that he couldn't even recover advertising cost here. In France the book sells itself.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Someone's not listening. The point was that it's much easier to sell "I hate the U.S.A." books in France than in the U.S.A. He's not selling it in the U.S. because he knows that he couldn't even recover advertising cost here. In France the book sells itself.

I guess you are Listening - but not HEARING.

Where does it say "I Hate USA"?

If you ask me, he think its a Great Country - but in the Hands of a terrible goverment. If he wants something to say, is that he hates Wars. Especially those, that are Filthy - like the one in Iraq.

I think your problem is, that whenever somebody says something against your current goverment he is immediatly ANTI-USA, AMERICAN HATER.

Wrong.

They are the True Patriots.

When you will see that - things will beging to Change for Real...

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I think your problem is, that whenever somebody says something against your current goverment he is immediatly ANTI-USA, AMERICAN HATER.

Wrong.

They are the True Patriots.

A true patriot like YOU? All I can say is I wish you would go to a war torn repressive middle eastern country and be a patriot...I think we all know how that would turn out don't we. Skippy wouldnt have to put you on IGNORE anymore.

As far as the book goes, I don't think it is a matter of "THEY (GOVERNMENT) WON'T LET HIM SELL IT" it is more a matter of "THEY (WE THE PEOPLE) WON'T BUY THIS LOAD OF CRAP!

So the author can keep smoking his weed or popping his ectasy, and keep spewing lies in France to make a few bucks to fund his drug habit! Yeah...doing drugs is really the military way!

Please...you should save your bandwidth for something REAL!

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12 12 2012
A true patriot like YOU? All I can say is I wish you would go to a war torn repressive middle eastern country and be a patriot...I think we all know how that would turn out don't we. Skippy wouldnt have to put you on IGNORE anymore.

I have Seen the Face of War from a very Close Distance.

Have You, little warmonger?

Wars are very Amuzing for those who did not experience them.

As far as the book goes, I don't think it is a matter of "THEY (GOVERNMENT) WON'T LET HIM SELL IT" it is more a matter of "THEY (WE THE PEOPLE) WON'T BUY THIS LOAD OF CRAP!

How do you know? Have you READ it?

Oh I forgot - you don't read Books there.

The CRAP you receive is coming straight from the TV.

So the author can keep smoking his weed or popping his ectasy, and keep spewing lies in France to make a few bucks to fund his drug habit! Yeah...doing drugs is really the military way!

Seriously - if you actually READ the few quotes I posted (now was that hard?), you would find out, that HE actually never did drugs, but was talking to the other soldier, who ate xtc.

Wanna know how many US marines do XTC?

Please...you should save your bandwidth for something REAL!

Agreed - I have wasted precious minutes on this answer already.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
War On Terrorism » Confessions of a Marine

I hope everyone can now focus on the topic at hand and not a particular member's location or proclivity for the art of conflict.

This is a discussion board gentleman... Govern yourselves accordingly.

Red badges of courage have been ceremoniously awarded... That will be enough.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

from Souljah

What a bunch of hateful bull. I guess Scott Ritter doesn't count, eh?:shk:

Some of his books:

Iraq Confidential: The Untold Story of the Intelligence Conspiracy to Undermine the UN and Overthrow Saddam Hussein (Hardcover), 2005. Foreword by Seymour Hersh. ISBN 1560258527

Frontier Justice: Weapons of Mass Destruction and the Bushwhacking of America (Context Books, 2003) ISBN 1893956474

War on Iraq: What Team Bush Doesn't Want You to Know (with William Rivers Pitt). Context Books, 2002. ISBN 1893956385

Endgame: Solving the Iraq Problem - Once and For All (Simon & Schuster, 1999) ISBN 0684864851 (paperback: Diane Pub Co, 2004; ISBN 0756776597)

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   

by Mirthful Me:
Back on topic...

War On Terrorism » Confessions of a Marine

Yahoo article

He also recounts several episodes at checkpoints where civilian cars failed to stop and their unarmed occupants were shot to death.

failed to stop What would you do?! Hesitate, Think, Die?!
Explosive-laden vehicles at checkpoints caused numerous Coalition casualties.

The French journalist who helped him write the work, Natasha Saulnier, said she believed the US companies were reluctant to touch the book because its "controversial" nature

He sourced it out in the US and couldn't get any takers.

Massey, a chubby-cheeked man with short hair and glasses, said in the lobby bar of a Paris hotel that the casual violence exhibited by him and his men was the deliberate result of combat training approved by the very highest US authorities.

was the deliberate result of combat training ...in HIS opinion.
There are many more who will attest that their "training" is what keeps/kept them alive!

His publisher said that, while an English language version of the book was still pending, a Spanish edition would be coming out early next year.

See SoulJ . . . you'll get your American publication . . . might have to dig through the Walmart bargain bin though!?

-- some of whom see the book as score-settling by a disgruntled Marine forced to leave the services -- Massey has received significant interest in his book in France.

Seems he couldn't cut the mustard [so to speak] and was dismissed as a result.

In my opinion he did things, and ordered others to do the same, that later came back to haunt him. At no point have I found reference to Mr. Massey being forced to do anything. His superiors did not remove him from service nor attempt to "blackball" him. He made a request for dismissal, was given options for stateside or whatever, refused, and went upon his way.

While I respect his desire to "have his voice heard" I do have to question his motives.

On a side thought:
If he had been a serial killer who later remorsed for his deeds he would not be able to seek compensation for revelations regarding his ventures, due to USofA law.

Gotta love the good ole' USofA!

The only place on Earth where a self-admitted "serial" killer can later "remorse" and seek compensation for revelations of their ventures.

I'm dead serious!

While I do have issues with the "reason" we are there, I will never cease to support our soldiers abroad with every resource available!

There will always be casualties of war on both sides, whether physical or psychological in nature. Combatants, Terrorists, Soldiers, Civilians. Hey [knock knock] it's war!

Let me finish this post with a different version of
Confessions of a Marine:

As I returned from the states in a recent leave, I walked to the bench
to wait for the convoy that would take me to the base. As I walked up,
I saw a man sitting with tears in his eyes waiting for the plane to
take him back to America. I asked why he cried and he looked at me and
told his story. He began by telling me of when he first joined up.
That he had been criticized so much that he became bitter. While he
was fighting in Iraq, he had hated bush, hated the war, and could not
wait to get home. Then his eyes faded and he began to tell me how his
sear gent had noticed his bitterness and had asked him about it. And
he had begun to tell him why were they over here fighting someone
else's war? He had read many letters criticizing the govt. and he had
lost spirit. The seargent said, why don't you go on the evening
patrol. He asked why and the seargent responded just do as you're
ordered and pay close attention. So he told me how they had walked
down the street that evening and he had noticed the children playing
in the streets. He heard the laughter and asked himself is this what
the sergeant wants me to see? Had the noises of war drowned out this
part of the country? Was he so used to the explosions, the yells, the
screams, gunshots that his ears drowned this out? He than began to cry
uncontrollably and I sat down and waited not wanting to disturb him.
When he was done he looked up and said," sir the reason I'm crying is
cuz I don't want to leave, I don't want to leave my buddies, and I
don't want to leave thinking that the moment I leave they get shot cuz
I wasn't there." I told him I knew how he felt for I had felt the
same. And he continued his story, as they walked down the street
gunfire had suddenly erupted and he immediately hit the dirt. the
laughter turned to screams, the joy turned to pain, he was sobbing and
I couldn't understand why if we as marines had gone through this lots
of times, and he said, "we had to take it, we had to watch our buddies
get shot, we had to, the children had been caught in the crossfire,
and we couldn't shoot back in fear of hitting them, so we had to watch
the insurgents shoot the living hell out of us, and we had to take it,
but the worst part was, there wasn't laughter on that street anymore,
the kids were dead." at this moment tears filled my eyes and I
understood why were over here. Who could justify those actions? he
looked up and said" from that day on I fought with everything I had, I
fought until I could not go to sleep from exhaustion, because that day
I had witnessed why were over here, because that day I became a true
marine"

Maybe that is why were over here, so one day there could be laughter
on that street.

"Once a Marine, Always a Marine"

Semper Fi

*This was received through a non-DOD, non-Goverment, non-News channel and I can attest to the authenticity.

U2U for source.

Peace2All

[edit on 11/3/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join