It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: CIA Holds Terror Suspects in Secret Prisons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
According to former intelligence officials and diplomats from three continents the CIA has been using a Soviet-era compound in Eastern Europe as a center for interrogating and hiding top al Qaeda captives. The secret facility is part of a covert prison system setup by the CIA nearly four years ago. The new secret prisons are part of the CIA's unconventional war on terrorism.

www.msnbc.msn.com
The CIA has been hiding and interrogating some of its most important al Qaeda captives at a Soviet-era compound in Eastern Europe, according to U.S. and foreign officials familiar with the arrangement.

The secret facility is part of a covert prison system set up by the CIA nearly four years ago that at various times has included sites in eight countries, including Thailand, Afghanistan and several democracies in Eastern Europe, as well as a small center at the Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba, according to current and former intelligence officials and diplomats from three continents.

The hidden global internment network is a central element in the CIA's unconventional war on terrorism. It depends on the cooperation of foreign intelligence services, and on keeping even basic information about the system secret from the public, foreign officials and nearly all members of Congress charged with overseeing the CIA's covert actions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well we all new the CIA holds alot of secrets but it makes you wonder what the government can do to you. Take you away to a secret prison where no one knows where you are and do whatever it takes to get the information out of you. This is actually a pretty scary story when you stop to think of what else they arnt telling us.

The top 30 al Qaeda prisoners are isolated from the outside world, they have no recognized legal rights and no one outside the CIA is allowed to talk with or see them, the sources told the newspaper.

reuters.com

[edit on 2-11-2005 by North Rider]

[edit on 2-11-2005 by North Rider]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Naw, its not that scary, Thats why we have PA I and II.. Its all legal now.. get used to it.. someday soemone near you will be considered a terrorist for stealing a loaf a bread and taken here, or there,... or somewhere...

[edit on 11/2/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Now i do try and read in between the lines, they said Top US officials requested this from other countrys just after 9/11 as US laws dont allow people to be kept in such "isolation" was the word used.

Its like saying, sod the law we'l go somewhere where we can do what we want.

As you say this very worrying, as to what degree have the CIA used these type of tactics before, now and in the future.

People talk about NWO, this is a perfect example of a police state emerging on a world wide scale.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I think this was alluded to earlier this year when there was threads on ATS about planes changing numbers and flying to Europe.

It was suspected and spoken of that the US had secret bases in Europe for the interrogation of prisoners. Now we know, or know more.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
For a conspiricy board i thought this story would get more attention.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It is getting attention but the voting is slow.. Come on everyone vote away.....

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this; because I was going to

I thought this was pretty crazy

"Virtually nothing is known about who is kept in the facilities, what interrogation methods are employed with them, or how decisions are made about whether they should be detained or for how long."

So they don't have to say where these prisons are, who's in them, what the people are being held for or for how long not to mention it sounds like they can pretty much do whatever they want to the prisoners with impunity under the guise that they are terrorists.

I also thought this part of the article was insane to say the least

"But the revelations of widespread prisoner abuse in Afghanistan and Iraq by the U.S. military -- which operates under published rules and transparent oversight of Congress -- have increased concern among lawmakers, foreign governments and human rights groups about the opaque CIA system. Those concerns escalated last month, when Vice President Cheney and CIA Director Porter J. Goss asked Congress to exempt CIA employees from legislation already endorsed by 90 senators that would bar cruel and degrading treatment of any prisoner in U.S. custody."

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I think this has been covered here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Like we should care?

Are the terrorists being held to any standard whatsoever in how they treat captives? No they just chop your head off (and that's probably if you're lucky).

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
Like we should care?

Are the terrorists being held to any standard whatsoever in how they treat captives? No they just chop your head off (and that's probably if you're lucky).

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

We should care, because it's our government. And one day it might not be a terrorist being interrogated without restriction, it might be you. Hell, the government might even label you a terrorist.

But terrorists shouldn't have any rights, right?

I just hope for your sake that you never check out any chemistry or electrical engineering books from the library. Read your "bomb making" books there, just make sure they don't get on your personal record.

You think that the U. S. government shouldn't be held to a higher standard of behavior than the rest of the world? I'm glad your eye for an eye attitude isn't shared by everyone in America, or we would be no better than the terrorists. We might as well torture our domestic criminals, they're criminals, they don't deserve rights. While we're at it we should repeal the 4th, 5th, and 6th ammendment. They only exist to protect criminals. I mean, there are other countries in the world where they don't have those freedoms. Freedom's over-rated, the only people that need to be protected from their government are the ones that have a guilty conscience.

Other people do it too, so why can't we? Right?

Oh, and about heads getting chopped off, there's a thread in this forum right now about how beheadings of Americans could possibly be perpetrated by Americans...

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
If we don't hold ourselves to higher standards than the terrorists, what's the difference between us? Brand of religion? Differing political ideology?

How do we know these prisons are solely full of terrorists anyway?

And how does it help the occupation of Iraq if we vindicate all the insurgents who are trying to portray America as an evil oppressor? We here in America might like to think we're safe from the CIA, but the average Iraqi citizen- especially a politically vocal one- doesn't share that sense.

-koji K.

new topics

top topics

join