It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That a real weapon?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   

A laser technology being developed by Air Force Research Laboratory employees at Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. will be the first man-portable, non-lethal deterrent weapon intended for protecting troops and controlling hostile crowds.

The weapon, developed by the laboratory's Directed Energy Directorate, employs a two-wavelength laser system and is the first of its kind as a hand-held, single-operator system for troop and perimeter defense. The laser light used in the weapon temporarily impairs aggressors by illuminating or "dazzling" individuals, removing their ability to see the laser source.

The first two prototypes of the Personnel Halting and Stimulation Response, or PHaSR, were built at Kirtland last month and delivered to the laboratory's Human Effectiveness Directorate at Brooks City Base, Texas, and the Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate at Quantico, Va. for testing.

"The future is here with PHaSR," said program manager Capt. Thomas Wegner. Wegner is also the ScorpWorks flight commander within the Laser Division of the directorate. ScorpWorks is a unit of military scientists and engineers that develops laser system prototypes for AFRL, from beginning concept to product field testing.

how its so weird wen they call it PHaSR dat is almost Star Trek right there. all i know right now dat its design to be a non lethal weapon. however i known for some time dat they have similar equipment dat does the same thing except it now looks like a rifle built blinding weapon.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The project sounds legit but the gun makes no sense, it's extremely bulky, has all sorts of Anime like design features and gizmo's, I highly doubt that is legit, and it's being held by what, a 16 year old? wtf...

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It looks far too big and awkward. Im sure smaller weapons are the way to go and that one just looks like a huge step backward.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Here's another like that seems to imply that it really must exist.

www.dtic.mil...

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I wouldn't doubt the project being real.

However, the gun looks like one of the Covenant weapons from Halo.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Looks about as real as this one:

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Heh, it looks like a Sci-Fi gun to me...I guess the designer just wanted some sci-fi-eque weapon design with no aditional fucntionality...

I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing...

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

Interesting you should bring that one up...My dad (ex-Army) told me that the Starship troopers gun is a French Assault rifle with extra casings and stuff bolted on.....not sure if it's true, but twas what he said...

And also, Deltaboy, please, please, please stop saying "dat" instead of "that"....is it that hard to type an extra letter and speak properly? Surely you dont actually talk like that, do you?

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   

are you trying to tell me starship troopers isnt based on a true story?!

anywho.. yea that gun definately looks like something straight out of a video game/sci-fi movie.

althought do you think a laser based weapon in the beginning would be that bulky? im thinking it might be , since the technology in that form is a relatively new thing.. remember, the rifle was developed before the handgun.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   

remember, the rifle was developed before the handgun.

No, it wasn't. The rifle (or rifled barrel) was developed towards the end of 18th century. I know what you mean though

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
master chief would be proud

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

remember, the rifle was developed before the handgun.

No, it wasn't. The rifle (or rifled barrel) was developed towards the end of 18th century. I know what you mean though

ok maybe a better way to put it is you gotta walk before you run

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
I wouldn't doubt the project being real.

However, the gun looks like one of the Covenant weapons from Halo.

Thank you, I knew that I had seen the weapon before in a game I just could not remember which one.

I also would not doubt the project being real, the gun on the other hand might not actually look like that. I do know that the US has been working on non-lethal weapons for years.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
That guns pretty big for a less-lethal weapon you have to wonder if its any better then a tazer which is considerably smaller.

I still want a M41-A pulse rifle ala "Aliens" man that was a sweet looking gun
10mm x 28 caseless ammo with a 30mm pump-action grenade launcher.

Boo-yah

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing...

...or that's just what you might be...

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Interesting you should bring that one up...My dad (ex-Army) told me that the Starship troopers gun is a French Assault rifle with extra casings and stuff bolted on.....not sure if it's true, but twas what he said...

Funny, I could have sworn they called it a "fully automatic Beretta"...

(All hail Dina Meyer *woof factor 9* Where do I sign up for the Mobile Infantry?)

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   

It kind of reminds me of a Famas, which is infact French:

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
its definitely real....i saw a show on the history channel just a couple of days ago about non-lethal weapons, and that was the last one they talked about. in fact, the cop being interviewed stated that he has seen the prototype for the second generation weapon which is half the size and weight. cant find a link for it, but if you search history channel shows, you should come up with something.....i believe it was either "modern marvels" or "tales of the gun"...not sure though.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Something that really caught my interest in this thread was the author's use of substitution for 'dat' for the word 'that'.

Dat's really stupid. Sorry.

Hooked on Phonics doesn't work for everybody, I guess.

[edit]

And what the hell would be wrong with using some punctuation and maybe capitalizing at least some of the appropriate words? Is it just me or is the internet providing the excuse for people to forsake any education they may have received? Sheesh!

[edit on 1-11-2005 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
also...STUMASON....

i realize you are from england and probably dont understand this, but "delta" is a part of the US where people talk like that. i have no doubt that deltaboy is being funny, but people do actually talk like that in his neck of the woods

jes lyke peeyple tawk lyke dis wars iym frum, yall heeya?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join