It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That a real weapon?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
yeah, and look at the background... it doens't look so "pro" and the guy in the picture is too young... Sorry, but I don't think that that it's real...

How can you people say "he is too young"? We can only see a fraction of his face. In fact I found the following text accompanying this picture:

U.S. Air Force Capt. Drew F. Goettler, of the Air Force Research Laboratory' Directed Energy Directorate, demonstrates the Personnel Halting and Stimulation Response, or PHaSR, a non-lethal illumination technology developed by the laboratory's ScorpWorks team. Air Force courtesy photo.

I googled him he and he is listed as working for the Air Force - as well as an "Eva Blaylock" who wrote the article that is going around on some sites.

Originally posted by SFRemmy

Originally posted by Wiley_Wonka

Originally posted by stumason
Interesting you should bring that one up...My dad (ex-Army) told me that the Starship troopers gun is a French Assault rifle with extra casings and stuff bolted on.....not sure if it's true, but twas what he said...

It kind of reminds me of a Famas, which is infact French:

Well, it does sort of look like a FAMAS, with a shorter sight rail, longer barrel, etc. But I'd give credence to them being modified versions.

In fact this thing has nothing to do with a FAMAS. It is a heavily rebuilt Ruger Mini-14/AC556 (the full-auto military version), for which several bullpup conversion kits exist, like these two (compare the ejection port of the second to the one in the film, they are strikingly similar):

The "grenade launcher" is a modified Ithaca 37 "Stakeout" shotgun. The Morita came in the version seen above and in a smaller "carbine" version used mainly by officers and pilots, which is shorter and doesnt have the shotgun attached.

Of both types three versions existed: the live-fire guns with 22" barrel and a fiberglass shell, The same fiberglass shell on resin mock-ups pf the Rugers and Ithacas for most stunt and non-firing scenes, and full rubber mockups carried by extras in hte background (they didnt look very real).

For more info: Fansite about the guns

EDIT: Oops, I didnt see the posts that alreay covered the actual Morita design...

[edit on 2/11/2005 by Lonestar24]

[edit on 2/11/2005 by Lonestar24]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Did any of you read he post i did on page two; ITS *CONFIRMED* REAL

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
[edit on 1/11/05 by stumason] Cornish accents are funny, but when I went to England and had to be subjected to townies with fake cockney accents, that was hell.

Oh....sorry for the double post.

Yeah they do mightily toss the salad my friend. I have to live around them all year round so think yourself lucky.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Captain_Sensible
[edit on 1/11/05 by stumason]
Cornish accents are funny, but when I went to England and had to be subjected to townies with fake cockney accents, that was hell.

Oh....sorry for the double post.

Yeah they do mightily toss the salad my friend. I have to live around them all year round so think yourself lucky.

Well, you have my deepest sympathy for putting up with them constantly. hopefully they end up working fast food like they deserve. Though one good thing came out of that summer, I got to learn quite a bit of cockney so it pisses off my friends when I talk like that.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   
well if they have non-lethal versions then they must have lethal variant because normally it goes lethal => non-lethal! The future is quickly becoming reality and I am torn between excitement and worrying about how it will affect the global climate.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
This is genuine enough, but looks like rather old news. I'm not sure what the fab new feature is on this.

There were a heap of laser blinding weapons before 1995 which had to be cancelled, the dazzle versions for obvious reasons haven't been so popular. I believe HALT (a nonlethat dazzler) was deployed to Iraq. Stingray (a blinding laser) was deployed in the war in 1991 but not used.

The veiling glare laser looked the best bet for a safe effective dazzler, but that went very quiet.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Looks about as real as this one:

Interesting you should bring that one up...My dad (ex-Army) told me that the Starship troopers gun is a French Assault rifle with extra casings and stuff bolted on.....not sure if it's true, but twas what he said...

And also, Deltaboy, please, please, please stop saying "dat" instead of "that"....is it that hard to type an extra letter and speak properly? Surely you dont actually talk like that, do you?

I'm pretty sure your father is talking about a Famas, cuz a Famas looks alot like that Starship troopers weapon.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Looks more like a gigantic M-16 to me....

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join