It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

That a real weapon?

page: 2
0
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
also...STUMASON....

i realize you are from england and probably dont understand this, but "delta" is a part of the US where people talk like that. i have no doubt that deltaboy is being funny, but people do actually talk like that in his neck of the woods

jes lyke peeyple tawk lyke dis wars iym frum, yall heeya?


No need to type like it though and force the rest of us to read rubbish, is there? I am sure you would find a cornish accent funny, but I am not about to throw a few extra a's and r's into my typing to make my words sound cornish to the reader!


[edit on 1/11/05 by stumason]




posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

No need to type like it though and force the rest of us to read rubbish, is there? I am sure you would find a cornish accent funny, but I am not about to throw a few extra a's and r's into my typing to make my words sound cornish to the reader!


[edit on 1/11/05 by stumason]


oh, no doubt. i didnt say i disagreed with you, just thought a little explanation might be in order as to where he's coming from.



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700

Originally posted by stumason

No need to type like it though and force the rest of us to read rubbish, is there? I am sure you would find a cornish accent funny, but I am not about to throw a few extra a's and r's into my typing to make my words sound cornish to the reader!


[edit on 1/11/05 by stumason]


oh, no doubt. i didnt say i disagreed with you, just thought a little explanation might be in order as to where he's coming from.


Thats cool. I do realise that he probably speaks funny, as I am sure I do
....I am just a stickler for spelling and grammar, boring sod that I am!



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
That guns pretty big for a less-lethal weapon you have to wonder if its any better then a tazer which is considerably smaller.


I still want a M41-A pulse rifle ala "Aliens" man that was a sweet looking gun
10mm x 28 caseless ammo with a 30mm pump-action grenade launcher.




Boo-yah


I would love to have an actual real one like the movie, but I settled for one that was built from a Spaz 12 and M-1 Thompson. A buddy of mine that is a gunsmith/machinist made all the pieces I needed and put it together. It is in fact nice.

I would rather have the 30mm than the 12 gauge any day though.



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
lmao @ blackbeard....i wonder how many times the chick with the really big , ummm, gun is going to be re-posted? hehe.



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Not to change the subject, but in regards to Starship Troopers ... just about everything regarding the soldiers combat suit and weapons were wrong.

In the book, A troopers "uniform" was actually a fully self contained powered combat armor with its own oxygen supply and "basic" necessities. The suit was fully NBC hardened- the fact that the troopers were meant to fight in all types of environments (including the vacuum of space) ... in addition, these Troopers had the equivalent of manportable tactical nukes.

I guess the studio folks wanted more "facial" exposure and combat garb that is more familiar to the average viewer (and cheaper to film no doubt).

[edit on 1-11-2005 by LCKob]



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
...
I still want a M41-A pulse rifle ala "Aliens" man that was a sweet looking gun
10mm x 28 caseless ammo with a 30mm pump-action grenade launcher.

www.airsofthawaii.org...

Boo-yah


Here you are: Clicky

Scroll down the site and download the RAR file. It contains a lot of colour images that you can print and cut out, and glue together your own paper M41-A pulse rifle model


I have had the file on my PC for about 1 year now, but I never found the nerve to try it though. If I´ll ever do it I´ll try to laminate the paper and fit a super soaker inside. But I reckon a Thompson SMG airsoft gun would work, too.

And a photo of the result (though it seems to having been a bit "enhanced" in photoshop)



[edit on 1/11/2005 by Lonestar24]



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LCKob
Not to change the subject, but in regards to Starship Troopers ... just about everything regarding the soldiers combat suit and weapons were wrong.

In the book, A troopers "uniform" was actually a fully self contained powered combat armor with its own oxygen supply and "basic" necessities. The suit was fully NBC hardened- the fact that the troopers were meant to fight in all types of environments (including the vacuum of space) ... in addition, these Troopers had the equivalent of manportable tactical nukes.

I guess the studio folks wanted more "facial" exposure and combat garb that is more familiar to the average viewer (and cheaper to film no doubt).

[edit on 1-11-2005 by LCKob]


Everything about Starship Troopers was wrong, right down to the fundamental ethos behind the story. What started out as a very complex book written as a metaphor for a potential futuristic Marxist state was portrayed on film as a rather enjoyable shoot-em-up.

Good movie though.



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
This author says its confirmed real:

www.defensetech.org...



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
LOL, nothing new here the Chinese PLA have already designed tested and fielded man portable laser weapons.

PS. The gun in starship troopes isn't a french assault rifle LOL. Just because the carrying handle looks basically the same doesn't make it so.



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
No, it wasn't. The rifle (or rifled barrel) was developed towards the end of 18th century. I know what you mean though


Scoring rifle barrels goes back to the 1500's, or the 16th century for those historically impaired.

www.history-magazine.com...

Dismissed.



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
yeah, and look at the background... it doens't look so "pro" and the guy in the picture is too young... Sorry, but I don't think that that it's real...



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Interesting you should bring that one up...My dad (ex-Army) told me that the Starship troopers gun is a French Assault rifle with extra casings and stuff bolted on.....not sure if it's true, but twas what he said...


It is, from what I remember. [Told the same thing].

Most Sci-Fi guns are based off of real ones, especailly if they are going to be held by a lot of people and it is being done on the cheap. Much harder to make them from scratch.



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Most Sci-Fi guns are based off of real ones, especailly if they are going to be held by a lot of people and it is being done on the cheap. Much harder to make them from scratch.


Star Wars did it best. They're fully prop-shopped models, but the Stormtroopers are carrying "Sterlings" and "Lewis Guns" and Han Solo has a '96 Mauser "broomhandle"! In Jedi Leia even got something that looked like a Luger.



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
LOL, nothing new here the Chinese PLA have already designed tested and fielded man portable laser weapons.


Of course they have.

The US had a man-portable laser 20 years ago. The problem was the battery pack was so big you couldn't carry your pack and it had to "recharge" between shots like a camera flash, bit difficult in the heat of battle.

The point about this one is that it's non-lethal.



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Just to clear up one question. The Starship Trooper rifles are Ruger Mini-30's, only slightly adapted to run on 7.62X39mm blanks.



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Army
Just to clear up one question. The Starship Trooper rifles are Ruger Mini-30's, only slightly adapted to run on 7.62X39mm blanks.


yer wrong Army, its the Ruger Mini 14. so u are way off.
j/k but u are close.

www.starshiptroopers.net...

pretty clever the way they made it to look futuristic in a way. wen i first saw it on film i thought it was FAMAS weapons in disguise. they also use the Ithaca pump shotgun.

www.starshiptroopers.net...



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
huh...A buddy that works "in the industry" was part of the armory detail for that movie, and he told that were using -30's.

Well, that's what I get for believing anyone from Hollywood



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wiley_Wonka

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Looks about as real as this one:



Interesting you should bring that one up...My dad (ex-Army) told me that the Starship troopers gun is a French Assault rifle with extra casings and stuff bolted on.....not sure if it's true, but twas what he said...


It kind of reminds me of a Famas, which is infact French:


Well, it does sort of look like a FAMAS, with a shorter sight rail, longer barrel, etc. But I'd give credence to them being modified versions.



posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by snafu7700
also...STUMASON....

i realize you are from england and probably dont understand this, but "delta" is a part of the US where people talk like that. i have no doubt that deltaboy is being funny, but people do actually talk like that in his neck of the woods

jes lyke peeyple tawk lyke dis wars iym frum, yall heeya?


No need to type like it though and force the rest of us to read rubbish, is there? I am sure you would find a cornish accent funny, but I am not about to throw a few extra a's and r's into my typing to make my words sound cornish to the reader!


[edit on 1/11/05 by stumason]
Cornish accents are funny, but when I went to England and had to be subjected to townies with fake cockney accents, that was hell.

Oh....sorry for the double post.



new topics

top topics



 
0
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join