It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what if Japan re armed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I was bored and had to do an essay about wwII era japan. I know that their constitution limits them from getting a real military and that they can only have a "defense force" Well what if actually rebuilt their military forces(like I have heard that they have mentioned). Where in the world would the power lay in the world and and would they try to take over the world again. Who do you think their allies would be, what kind of nation would they be defensive or offensive. How fast would it take for them to become a world power?

This is my opinion.
I think that they would be defensive with their main allies being US, the EU and South Korea. It would take them about 10-20 years to become a world power, and I think they would remain relatively peaceful instead of taking on a policy of imperialism.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I would not count South Korea as a possible ally to a re-armed Japan.
There is still a great deal of underlying hatred and distrust between the 2 countries. A good read on this can be found at www.han.org...

For a more up to date synopsis
61st Session of UN Commission on Human Rights

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
They've technically already broken the 'defense force' clause, which restricts any type of force projection capability. They sent soldiers to Iraq in a logistical role which obviously isn't rifles and boots on the ground but still a little worrisome. Especially because of what China would do if they decided Japan has overstepped their bounds.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I would actually count Japan as our allies, belive it or not in these times. Japan has been a trading partner for technology and other goods with the US for quite awhile, and we have no reason to not want them to re-arm, as long as they aren't against us.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by cownosecat
I would actually count Japan as our allies, belive it or not in these times. Japan has been a trading partner for technology and other goods with the US for quite awhile, and we have no reason to not want them to re-arm, as long as they aren't against us.

Yup, turning Japan into what it is today is the best thing the U.S. has ever done.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Japan could be a military superpower in a few years if they wanted to, but there is really no logical reason for them to do so. Their attempt to build a military empire ended in defeat and destruction. Their decision to build a peaceful economic empire has succeeded spectacularly, with Japan by any measure among the most prosperous and technologically sophisticated countries on the planet.

Why mess with success?

In addition, the idea of Japan as a "disarmed" country is no longer terribly accurate anyway. The JMSDF in particular is an impressive force, among the top navies on the planet.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
well I am talking about if they started mass producing offensive weapons and training massive numbers of air force, navy, army, and other troops.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The only reason Japan would have/need to start expanding their offensive capabilities would be if China continues its aggressive stance in the southeastern pacific region. And Japanese people after WWII changed their view of war, they no longer seek or want war, but rather peace and prosperity.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
the post-ww2 treaty signed by japan and germany

Japan's "re-arming" is seen, interpreted, and viewed as defensive only.
This article may be of interest to some of you:
Japanese Party Pushes Larger Military

In an effort to calm worries about a resurgence of Japanese militarism, which still haunts much of Asia 60 years after the end of World War II, the draft said Japan remains a pacifist nation and renounces the use of military force to settle international disputes.

It also limits overseas troop deployment to activities for international cooperation for global peace and safety.

Article 9 of Japan's constitution, drafted by U.S. occupation forces and unchanged since 1947, prohibits maintaining a military for warfare, though the Japanese government has interpreted that to mean the nation can possess armed forces for self-defense, allowing the 240,000 Self-Defense Forces to exist.

seekerof

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Japan can't take over the world. As said, China would stop Japan from re-arming seeing as they're next to eachother and China has more troops, missiles etc...

Now if they started training masses of troops and mass producing weapons, they'd be stopped. The government would be taken 'out' [as in away from power] and we'd end up with something like what's in Iraq now, deciding the government etc...
And after that little stunt, they would'nt be allowed ANY kind of defensive forces. It'll never happen.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
yeah.. Japan re-arming.. wouldn't constitute a threat to "world peace" as it were..
It would be good for the japanese as they would not have to depend on the US..
It would be political indepenadnce..And american allies on the side wouldn't be soo bad..
Also it would force the chinese to pay attention to these developments..

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think Japan wants to take a greater role in world affairs, but I don't think it would be a peaceful country. You really can't be imperailist in this day and age.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
How fast do people think that Japan could build nuclear weapons, I have heard only a few months. I acually think Japan should rearm as we need as much support against CHina as we can get.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 05:18 AM
link   
i say 4-5months for a bomb. and 1-2years for a warhead

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Dude, if they'd do that... They are so rich taht they could create a hell of a army...

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
Dude, if they'd do that... They are so rich taht they could create a hell of a army...

they owe 160% of their GDP.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by maninblack
How fast do people think that Japan could build nuclear weapons, I have heard only a few months. I acually think Japan should rearm as we need as much support against CHina as we can get.

IMHO they can have an ICBM with a 20kT+ warhead ready in 2-3 months from initiation..as of now..
Really.. I'm 100% they've already carried out numerous simulated detonations with the amount of processing power/tech at their diposal....Maybe even passed one or two live tests off as nuke pwr plants mishaps and/or earthquakes..They have many of those

They really don't need live testing IMO..
Maybe on just to make a political impression worldwide, but not for "actual testing-observations"..
If people claim that Israel has nukes, then Japan probably has em' too..
Their rocket/satellite/remote tech is probably one of the best in the world
(Check JAXA) and so ICBMs are no biggie..
They'll probably be able to narrow accuracy to tens of metres even..

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Technologically Japan can create nukes in a few months but I don't think they can actually do that.

Because there is a huge anti-nuclear weapons sentiments in Japan, and any attempt to create nukes will face strong oppositions.

The only supports for nuclear weapons in Japan are from the extreme right I think. And that supports was caused more by the fear of possible nuclear weapons from North Korea.

[edit on 17-9-2005 by twchang]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
IMO it all depends on what the situation is, if the US feels that in the future having Japan re-armed to create a buffer zone for china is needed, than Japan will rearm.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I think most people hit the nail on the head when they say that Japan does not need anything other than a defense force.
Maybe other nations in the pacific would take them more seriously, but they are allies of the west and huge trading partners.
That being said I do not think they would turn on the west anyway, as someone mentioned they are a more peace loving people now.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join