It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what if Japan re armed

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
As mentioned earlier, Japan has re-armed. They have one of the largest military budgets of any country. They have well-trained forces with high-tech equipment. However, since they haven't been in a war in so long, it is hard to judge how their military would really perform under actual battle conditions.

However, Japan's military is structured to act as a peripheral component of US forces. Japan's military is not designed to act without US support. However, in an asian conflict they would be well positioned to assist US forces.

They have deployed a token force to Iraq. Furthermore, they want to be seen a militarily capable country for a permenant seat on the UN.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by crontab
They have deployed a token force to Iraq. Furthermore, they want to be seen a militarily capable country for a permenant seat on the UN.

Japan did not get a permanent UN seat on the Security Council.
Hence, Japan will propose cutting UN contributions

Btw, I remind some here of Japan's economic world status, and their contributions level to the UN.

seekerof

[edit on 17-9-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
IMO it all depends on what the situation is, if the US feels that in the future having Japan re-armed to create a buffer zone for china is needed, than Japan will rearm.

And what if japan doesn't want to be americas dog anymore.

they got tired of that and attacked in pearl habour

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hmmm, a re-militarised Japan poses something of a paradox. Here in Australia, Japan is generally viewed as a good friend and a close trading partner. Many Japanese tourists visit Australia each year and Australians are increasingly being drawn to visit Japan. Japanese culture and the efforts of the Japanese people in both forsaking warfare and rebuilding their country post-World War 2 are greatly admired amongst a majority of Australians.

However, there are still Australians who remember when the threat of Japanese invasion was very real. There are still Australians who remember the attacks on Darwin, Katherine, Newcastle and Sydney. There are still those who remember the atrocities committed upon our POWs by Japanese officers.

What I am trying to say is that, from an Australian perspective, a rearmed Japan would be both a blessing and a potential curse. True, if Japan were to rearm, it may go some lengths towards disuading China from any future expansion or aggression. However, it is just as likely that a rearmed Japan will provoke just such moves from China, which may view Japan's re-emergence as a military power as a direct threat to itself. At the moment, Australia does not fear China. But we may fear a rearmed Japan, even if those fears were unrealistic in a modern context and simple memories of WW2.

[edit on 17/9/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Japan has been inching towards rearmament since the mid 90's when the North Koreans let everyone know they had the bomb(or at least could build one). Before then even mentioning the possibility of Japan developing its own nuclear capability was enough for you to be dismissed from the government and/or stripped of party affiliation. Now it is being openly discussed. The resolution of this situation depends on a successful resolution of the forementioned North Korea problem. If North Korea doesn't disarm it is inevitable that Japan also will rearm if that happens you will have a three way arms race between Japan, North Korea and China with the possibilty of South Korea and Taiwan joining the fray.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
First off Japan is a island nation with few internal natural resources. It would be very easy for outside powers to gauge the industrial ability to re arm outside of the known declarations. There is a whole industry in this type of intelligence gathering both military and civilian.
For a island to become a international power they must take on a navy. What you are looking for today particularly is aircraft carriers and submarines. Also support ships of all kinds including cruisers/destroyers.

One more thing...if memory serves me. The idea for Japan to move out militarily on the international stage was at the insistance of the western powers..not Japan herself. After the first gulf war the west was upset with the lack of participation of our Japanese ally.
Japans insistance of not operating outside Japan was a provision put on them also by the western powers to prevent continued imperialistic intentions. After the first gulf war it was again our insistance that this provision be scrapped. Ironic ..I think...but typical.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Orangetom what you say about our changing stances on Japanese military power is true but japan already has the most powerful navy in asia. Japan also has many transnational assets in regards to natural resources. Not mention there banking industry (yeah I know its in a slump and has been for a decade) is the largest in the world just look at their postal workers pension system, privatize it and viola biggest bank in the world. So as far as having and being able to purchase additional natural resources would be relatively a small not insignificant problem mind you but the problem would be being able to get them from say the mid-east to japan but like I said already have biggest navy in asia and wimth the US watching their back that won't be to difficult either.

[edit on 18-9-2005 by danwild6]

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I have no problem with Japan rearming. I do not believe Japan has imperialistic intentions and if for some reason they did they would find themselves with alot of competition. Not from the United States either if I read what is coming in Asia correctly. The Mid East also.
I am aware from certain sources that Japan is rearming and has been doing so for about ten years now. Quietly but rearming. To me Japan is a soverign nation and has that right to rearm. I have no problem with this.
If memory serves me correctly some years back Japan had one of the deepest diving tear drop hulled submarines in service. A diesel boat but very deep diving.
It is a natural thing for a Island nation to expand out into the oceans. Coastal nations also.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite

Japan is not Americas lap dog, they are our ally. Japan re-arming would be of mutual benefit, beneficial to the US because it would have a powerful military ally in that part of the word. Beneficial to Japan because it would be able to handle the changing situation in that part of the world, without relying on the US as much.

[edit on 18-9-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
EDITED: By WestPoint

Sorry for the double post.

[edit on 18-9-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I feel the same way ..bravo..well said..well said.!!

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Thats a rather assinine statement.
Japan was not the US's lapdog prior to WW2 and it isn't now.
Believe it or not the US actually has friends...

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Let me guess..... Been reading "The History Of The World" Published by the Communist Propaganda Department.

:shk: Japan was hardly the US's lapdog then or now. Aside from the slogans you are reading off some propaganda poster, what exactly are you basing this on? On second thought never mind :shk:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Let me guess..... Been reading "The History Of The World" Published by the Communist Propaganda Department.

:shk: Japan was hardly the US's lapdog then or now. Aside from the slogans you are reading off some propaganda poster, what exactly are you basing this on? On second thought never mind :shk:

Plaza Agreement ring any bells?

or how about how Mr Koizumi was forced to send the JSDF to iraq.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Japan is not Americas lap dog, they are our ally. Japan re-arming would be of mutual benefit, beneficial to the US because it would have a powerful military ally in that part of the word.

Why would japan benifit from re-arming? spending a huge amount of money on a army that wouldn't see action. China and the Korea will most problay make a alliance or pact againest japan.

Breaking the SFPT

That only benifit any country would get from japan re-arming is the USA

Beneficial to Japan because it would be able to handle the changing situation in that part of the world, without relying on the US as much.

Are they going to wage war againest their neighbours like in 1937?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
Thats a rather assinine statement.
Japan was not the US's lapdog prior to WW2 and it isn't now.
Believe it or not the US actually has friends...

Washington Naval Conference

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Forgive me orangetom my post wasn't saying that I believed you to be anti-japanese just a simple correction in that Japan already a significant military capability and I to am glad to see that Japan is rearming they aren't the people they were in WWII like what was said before rebuilding japan in the image of the US was the best thing we ever did.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The Washington Naval Conference was an arms limitation traty, in many ways the forerunner of the Nuclear limitation treaties of the Cold War, designed to prevent an arms race among competing powers (Britain, France, Italy, Japan and the United States). Indeed the unequal limitations placed on Japan's naval strength were one of the factors that led to the Pacific war.

It was in no way an alliance of any kind, any more than the START treaties represented an alliance between the Soviet Union and the United States. While the situation between the US and Japan in the 1920's was not as tense as it got in the 1930's, Japan was by no means an ally of the US let alone a "lapdog."

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
You stupid Americans! Japan already did their re-arm secretly! and don't think that Japan is American's allies. Once Japan become stronger than you, they beat you, once they are weak, they adore you like a lap dog. Remember what I said. The Chinese people didn't realize it more than 100 years ago, they teach japanese everything, everything! then when japan become stronger, they beat and invade China for soooo long time. These Chinese has suffered too much. If you Amercans wanna be a second-chinese, think japanese as a friend, whatever. Thers is no friend in political world but only benefits.
Japan never changed their view in WAR! Never! Never! Once they become stronger and have the ability to retake the world, they will do it! The No.1 person of Japanese right-wingers already said Japan is castrated by America and they don't want it anymore.
the US media always demonize China. China want to become friends with US and they did much effort on it, but US gov seems always want to suppress China. You can not believe everything you read in newspaper and internet. There is so much you americans do not know about Japanese and CHinese , even Asian world which your media never say, and you don't care about it too.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
It was in no way an alliance of any kind, any more than the START treaties represented an alliance between the Soviet Union and the United States.

huh? who are you replying to

While the situation between the US and Japan in the 1920's was not as tense as it got in the 1930's, Japan was by no means an ally of the US let alone a "lapdog."

Actually during this period many japanese resented beng the lesser partner or "lapdog" of the western powers.

Thats what led them to become a lot more ambitious in the future. A similar situtaion happened in the 80s Plaza Agreement. they made japan dramatically change its currency exchange which in turn caused recession to the japanese economy.

Why would a "free" "independent" country knowingly cause harm to its economy which was doing so well

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join