It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Much of Los Angeles Loses Power

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
People, relax. This same thing happened a couple of weeks ago in Southern Cali.

LOS ANGELES - The failure of a key transmission line was blamed for power outages that left nearly half a million people without air conditioning for about 30 minutes on a day when temperatures in Southern California hovered around 100 degrees.

Southern California Edison began shutting off power in areas Thursday after the California Independent System Operator, which operates the electric grid in California, declared a transmission emergency.

About a half hour later, power was being restored to people subjected to the blackouts in Fontana, La Puente, Cathedral City, Huntington Beach, Long Beach and Ontario, said ISO spokeswoman Stephanie McCorkle.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
For those watching tv CNBC has some great pictures.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Guys ... I just read a thread below this one that describes a tape being released DAYS before this event? Could this be the possible attack that the tape warned everyone about? It REALLY doesn't seem like a coincidence ... exact state ... and now blackouts? Man, I don't think so ... what's going on?

Let's get prepared guys, anything can happen. Anything.

link   
There you go another reason to raise the oil prices in the nation.

California for years has problems with their energy sources now the heat is on.

I bet the next thing is that oil prices has to go up again to accommodate for the demand.

link   
Aren't there some pretty intense solar flares happening right now? Could that contribute?

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It does seem like a normal blackout.

However it seems strange to me that all the news channels are saying that it's not terrorism.

Why are they denying it already if it's just a normal blackout, and why is it on all the channels. Last time my area lost power it didn't even make the local paper.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The boogeymen, the boogeymen!

I really should sedate myself and go on to bed. Life is getting unbearable.

So who made the promise good? Was it "Al" or was it those who want it to appear as though they are following thru with "terror"?

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Last time I heard the news channels say it wasn't terrorism was then they were saying that power surges had caused explosions on the London Underground on July 7th...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

link   
KCBS mentioned that LAPD headquarters has no power.

Hopefully it's just some surge that overloaded something and things will come back up shortly.

We all know our power grids nationwide are elderly.

link   

Originally posted by LeftBehind
Why are they denying it already if it's just a normal blackout, and why is it on all the channels. Last time my area lost power it didn't even make the local paper.

Because yours didn't coincide with a terror threat against the same city. It's the government controlled media's job to keep terrorism on the front burner at all times and keep the masses in a perpetual state of fear.

Peace

[edit on 12-9-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
FYI - Power in the West end of the San Fernando is still on. I am located near De Soto and Vanowen. (for those that know the area) I just stepped outside a few minutes ago. (appox. 1:30PM PST) Lights are on. Street lights working. No traffic. No problems. Looks like a typical southern california day.
A co-worker of mine just spoke to her mother, she lives in the city of Los Feliz, NO POWER at her house. Los Feliz is approx. 4 miles from downtown.
*note* I live in the city of Burbank. unlike most cities in Los Angeles, Burbank is NOT part of Los Angeles. Burbank is it's own incorporated city. They have there own fire dept. and police dept. AND POWER COMPANY. LA county uses DWP. (dept. of water and power) Burbank has it's own BWP. (burbank water and power)
Why would power be out in both locations?
If DWP and BWP are seperate, why are they sharing the same power outage?

Just wanted to share.

[edit on 9/12/2005 by Illuminated_1]

[edit on 9/12/2005 by Illuminated_1]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
MSNBC has a bit more--not by too much though--informative article than the abc link earlier:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I really do not believe that it is cause by anything to do with the Sun. Nothing has hit us in a bit, and definitely nothing large enough to cause a power outage that far south. If it were something caused by a solar flare, I would imagine that it would have happened farther north (Washington State or Canada) and not down in LA.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Geomagnetic Storm Alert:

Power systems: : widespread voltage control problems and protective system problems can occur, some grid systems may experience complete collapse or blackouts. Transformers may experience damage.

sec.noaa.gov...

LA Zapped by Old Sol ...news at 5

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
For those watching tv CNBC has some great pictures.

hmmmm - but unfortunately I am not able to watch CNBC....

All my radio station reported is, that there is a major disruption, but power had not been lost at Los Angeles International Airport

So I thought I'd find more here on ATSNN-Alert?

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I heard someone probably cut a cable by accident...
KFWB Los Angeles, California announced it..

[edit on 12-9-2005 by XPhiles]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles
I heard someone probably cut a cable by accident...
KFWB Los Angeles, California announced it..

That's what they're saying on FOX now too, it was an accident by a Department of Water and Power worker who cut a power line.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeftBehind
However it seems strange to me that all the news channels are saying that it's not terrorism.

They're probably denying terrorism off the bat in hopes it is a regular blackout and wanting to try and keep the public from panicking. Think about it--if it was something rather mundane, like a short or something, and people start running amok because AQ's out to get them, the LAPD's going to have their hands more than full.

That said, this being a terrorist action wouldn't surprise me much. I agree with thematrix though--if this is terrorist activity, it's a distraction. Then again, it may well be a distraction without being overtly terroristic in nature--there may be some sort of other criminal activity going on, something not directly related with national security or anything. I doubt it, but maybe some Hollywood crime flick is coming to life

Unless something major happens along side it though that can't be kept from the public eye, I doubt we'd ever hear the truth if it were caused by a terrorist group. If AQ knocked out a couple of substations and didn't cause anything else that would be shown on the news, it'd get swept under the rug: gotta make sure everyone feels safe, right?

Just my two cents...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Aren't only cities in the far North, or far South of the Earth more vulnerable to solar storms? Like the '89 Quebec blackout, no otehr cities had problems then, right?

Just yesterday, I watched the documentary 'The End of Suburbia', about Peak Oil. Now they also mentioned the 2003 NYC blackout, the cause of that blackout was in fact not faulty power lines, the cause was the power system reached its maximum capacity, so many people were using airconditioning systems etc, the system simply failed.

I understand it isnt that hot in LA right now, but according to reports, power systems in many parts of the US are reaching their maximum capacity, the last few years...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join