It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salton Sea Volcanic Region Coming To Life?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I brought this up in the Quake Watch and Volcano Watch topic but think it warrants a topic of its own. It appears on the surface that perhaps the volcanic region at the Salton Sea in Southern California may be coming to life.

Of interest is this quote...

"Volcanic activity of any type requires a heat source close to the surface. Geophysical studies of seismic activity, of heat flow in the earth, and of magnetic anomalies in the area around the south end of the Salton Sea all suggest that active igneous and metamorphic processes are now going on associated with an intrusive mass that lies below the sedimentary cover.

The intrusion under the Salton Sea is thought to be a pluton, an arm or protrusion from a deeply buried molten magma. This intrusion is parallel to the axis of the Salton Trough. It is about 20 miles long by four miles wide, and is at least one to two miles thick. It lies within the upper 10,000 feet of the crust, and possibly as close as 4,000 feet from the surface. It is centered beneath the community of Niland, at the southeast shore of the Sea.

This pluton is acting upon the sedimentary fill, altering the rocks into a low grade metamorphic series under low-temperature/low-pressure metamorphism. Associated with the metamorphism of the rocks, chemical analysis of hot brines brought to the surface by deep thermal wells in the Imperial Valley and Mexico show that active ore formation is probably taking place around the pluton. This involves the concentration of sulfides of iron, lead, zinc and copper."

Source: www.sci.sdsu.edu...

This area is obviously alive. But to what extent? Here is a quake map that shows a swarm of quakes at Obsidian Butte on the south shore of the Salton Sea. The quake data is good through September 1st, 2005.

About 16,000 years ago this region erupted from 4 vents. I am speculating that the Salton Sea isn't simply a sea but rather a caldera that was left many thousands of years ago. Even if this is a simple volcano it would seem that it would be able to disrupt the regions air traffic flow which is heavy when you factor in LAX, Burbank and San Diego.

Does anyone here have more detailed information on the previous events at Salton Sea and Obsidian Butte? I have yet to find estimates as to the size of the previous eruptions. I am trying to find what scale they happen on. Is this something on the Mount St. Helens scale? Or is it something more along the lines of a sister system a little further up the state called the Long Valley Caldera?

Input on this would be appreciated. I'll post more as I find it.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Here is a more updated map. Four days ago the quake number was 192. Today it is 651.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Hi Indy

I find your post very interesting.
What we cannot avoid admitting is the fact that quakes have increased considerably in Southern and Central California since a few days ago.
It is really something to keep in mind and to study.

You are mentioning something - that I think - can be possible. Who could imagine that Toba was a Supervolcano?
Please, continue posting the information you get. I am really interested in your findings.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I forgot to post you this link. You will find a lot of information on the Salton Sea.
www.sci.sdsu.edu...

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Seems quakes continue there
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Definately a good link. Nice to know the sea isn't a crater. Or is it possible that the water filled what was an old caldera? Perhaps that would explain why the region is so far below sea level.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
These images come from a link that Ptolomeo sent me. Does this look like any other place you know of?

Source: www.cfmsinc.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Of course it is possible.

Up to now, I wouldn´t refuse any theory... Do you think we really know the earth where we are living in?

I wonder where we are living on.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Well you have a lake that has the layout of a caldera, a volcanic history, and geothermal activity that looks like something from Yellowstone.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Well you have a lake that has the layout of a caldera, a volcanic history, and geothermal activity that looks like something from Yellowstone.

I think you're on to something Yogi

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I found very interesting information about quakes in the area:

Mr. Condon of GeoSeismicLabs has appeared on Dreamland (11 March, 2005) discussing the changing seismic situation around the world...

He continues, "Everyone from Central California to Baja, Mexico needs to be aware of what´s currently being detected. We now have some anomalously high levels of deep crustal stress surfacing along the Pacific & North American Plate Boundary in Southern California. The Inland Empire should be at the Warning level in Wrightwood, Lytle Creek, Cucamonga, Fontana, Rialto, Devore, San Bernardino, Redlands, Yucaipa, Banning, Loma Linda, Colton, Riverside, Hemet, Idyllwild, Beaumont, Anza, Borrego Springs, Ocotillo Wells, Desert Hot Springs, Yucca Valley, Indio/Palm Springs to the Salton Sea and anywhere else which is in within 15 miles of any major faults located in Southern California."

He also mentions the high risk of an eruption of the Mount St.Helens Volcano.

Do not miss it:
www.unknowncountry.com...

Any warning from the authorities about this?

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Good post. Thanks for the info. That region of the country is really in line for quite a mess in the future. Its not a question of if but rather when. Also if you consider the length of the west coast of the US from San Diego to Seattle and look at home many volcanic eruptions we have had in the past 200 years you'd think we are well overdue. How many has there been? Just MSH right?

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Great thread, Indy.

As a San Diego resident, I have an obivous vested interest in this topic, and in light of your insight, may very well spend Labor Day heading out to the high desert with my wife and her sister, as this is only a 90-minute (mas o menos) drive for us. I've been to the Salton Sea as a child, but neither my wife nor her sister have been, and it would be fascinating to go and observe the volcanic activity taking place in our own back yard... However, in the face of a "spousal veto" (seconded by the other XX in the equation), the trip may have to wait until a later date...

Speaking of geological events, we had a nice little jolt late Friday night from a magnitude 3.9 tremor just south of the border -- it felt like someone hit our house with a Mack truck. While checking the quake location and magnitude on the USGS site, I noticed the swarm of quakes around the Salton Sea (though I for one did not feel the 5.1 recorded on the 1st). As a longtime resident, I am well aware of how geologically active our region is, and while I can only speak for my house, I can state we are prepared should we experience a major quake (a matter of when, not if).

Thx for the links and the information -- I will be revisiting to check developments, and should I independently come across any valuable nuggets, I will definitely post them here.

[edit on 4-9-2005 by sdrumrunner]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Good post. Thanks for the info. That region of the country is really in line for quite a mess in the future. Its not a question of if but rather when. Also if you consider the length of the west coast of the US from San Diego to Seattle and look at home many volcanic eruptions we have had in the past 200 years you'd think we are well overdue. How many has there been? Just MSH right?

Now we're getting into my neck of the woods. MSH of course has been the only eruptive volcano on the west coast for several centuries. The real threat, as most can imagine, is when Rainier decides to wake up. This is another 'when, not ifs' and will be a TREMENDOUS disaster. Possibly more worrisome is the Cascadia Subduction Zone which produces the type of mega-earthquakes that devastated Indonesia.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Ok. Let´s consider the possibilities.
Would this increase in earthquakes mean the Big One is going to happen? Or do you think it is warning about a soon eruption of the Mt. St. Helens Volcano? Or both?

Or do you think it is the awakening of a possible Volcano at Salton Sea?

Of course, this is just a theory... (I hope).

I wonder about the consequences of something like this happening. After Katrina, I just hope that the Yellowstone Supervolcano never starts its activity...

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   
This has just taken place, 2 km (1 miles) E (85°) from Obsidian Butte, CA

Magnitude 3.7 - SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
2005 September 5 08:53:53 UTC

What is going on?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
A minor earthquake occurred at 09:31:55 (UTC) on Monday, September 5, 2005. The magnitude 3.1 event has been located in UTAH. The hypocentral depth was estimated to be 3 km ( 2 miles).
(54 Km. - 33 miles - from Salton Lake City)
- this event has not yet been reviewed by a seismologist. -

Does anyone know if this is usual?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Indy

I dug this up via google. I'm responding to put it to the boards again.

SnF
edit on 13-9-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I appreciate all the information but the 'officials" are saying that nothing is happening here. I have read articles about fish and decay but all articles recently seem to be denying that anything major is happening in this area. Now the people who live near Yellowstone know they live near a volcano- it has geysers, quakes and lets all know that she is alive. People live with that and they don't panic. If the Salton Sea is coming alive wouldn't it be better for safety sake if the officials stop the fish story and start telling what really maybe happening.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Wow, this thread could have been authored in the past week.

Very similar circumstances. This makes me wonder even more. 7 years almost to the day we have another swarm of EQ activity around the Salton Butte area.

I will not make any 'predictions' but this is something I will be keeping a close eye on and spending some time researching.

PS - Good find, randyvs! Gotta love Google. I always get excited when I search a term and an ATS topic pops up!

edit on 13-9-2012 by PatriotGames2 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join