It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's All White Millitary Achieved Through Racial Profiling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I'm going to pluck a few nerves here, just to get this out into the open. I go into the recruiting center down in Toronto, and they have these books there of past millitary grads. These are really thick books with almost everyone that enters in to the military and completes basic training. It was surprising to find that they were all white. Racial Profiling seems to exist, and it appears that when millitary personnel check in the new recruits there exists a question on the form where you have to state your race (with couple choices ie. white, black, caucasian, hispanic, other)..

This is really disturbing to me, as Paul Martin's main campaign speeches are of promoting diversity. Just goes to show that Martin's speeches are full of BS, as the millitary is a government run operation. But on the other hand his speeches on the equality of people (as is shown where he supports gay/lesbian marriages, as well as many other incidents) are of some value as he's promoting a sense of connection being a canadian citizen.

But Canada's millitary is engaged in racial profiling among its recruits, and all those pictures of past and recent grads being white is just a sign of worse things to come. I don't think Martin has that Aryan race belief that Hitler did, but wow all I have to say is "Bless Canada's All White Millitary." Obviously not a sign of diversity.

fourinfo.cioc.ca...

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I suppose you must consider the First Nations people as white in this report because I know there are a great number of them in Canada's forces.
This is really an inflammatory accusation and the link you provide gives absolutely nothing that I can see but a standard blank form.

Could you back that up with something more substantial, please?

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Uhh right, my friend whom I met during school many years ago was Black with a Jamaican accent and he successfully joined the Infantry with little trouble. But remember, blacks and hispanics are in tiny minority in this country, once out of the Urban area's it becomes nearly 100% white(not including Native Americans they are more then represented in the Forces as Masqua pointed out). Most of the country is like that, here is a page of the demographics of Canada.

en.wikipedia.org...
* Canadian (39.42%)
* English (20.17%)
* French (15.75%)
* Scottish (14.03%)
* Irish (12.90%)
* German (9.25%)
* Italian (4.29%)
* Chinese (3.69%)
* Ukrainian (3.61%)
* First Nations (3.38%)
* Dutch (3.12%)
* Polish (2.76%)
* East Indian (2.41%)
* Black African (2.23%)
* Norwegian (1.23%)
* Portuguese (1.21%)
* Welsh(1.18%)
* Jewish (1.18%)
* Russian (1.14%)
* Filipino (1.11%)
* Métis (1.04%)
* Swedish (0.95%)
* Hungarian (0.90%)

That majority of those are white, so you're gonna see a military that is mostly white. I'm shocked. Better way to look at it is from Police Dept to Dept, Toronto's Police Dept has many many minorities in it's ranks, out of necessity not out of sensitivity.

Did you see any Chinese? I would doubt it as most Chinese I talk to don't even want anything to do with anyone in authority, considering where they came from. I have seen Chinese undercovers though

[edit on 26-8-2005 by sardion2000]

d1k

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
This is an absurd thread.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I agree,d1k...

Here's the official site if anyone is interested...

www.forces.gc.ca...

and if you're interested in joining, here's the particulars...

www.recruiting.forces.ca...

I'm sure Canada could use some well trained individuals for Afghanistan or the Sudan.

If you read the site through, you'll notice an Asian Day celebrating those who have served in our forces as well as an Aboriginal Day for the First Nations who have stepped up over the years.

I wish you'd clarify your statements, websurfer, because as it stands now, it just seems like a thread intent on causing flaming (which, as you should be aware of, is a huge no-no at ATS).

[edit on 26-8-2005 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I'm going to have to disagree with you too. The Canadian Forces have a long history of diversity and encourage minorities to apply.

Some information on 'non-whites' in Canada's past military history:

Chinese Canadian Military Museum

The Chinese Canadian participation in the World Wars is largely unknown within and outside the Chinese communities yet their contribution changed the social landscape of Canada forever. Through their war efforts and the efforts of concerned citizens, the Chinese gained their franchise rights to citizenship and to vote, which in turn, led to membership in professional societies such as law and engineering previously closed to them. In short, the Chinese can finally enjoy the opportunities and rights as any other Canadians.

These were courageous men we should be proud of. An excellent example of the courage of our Chinese troops is Albert Mah, recently deceased.

Flying mostly Douglas DC-3s, they airlifted gasoline, ammunition, explosives and large amounts of American-minted Chinese currency into China and then brought back silver, tin and such commodities as hog bristles. It was one of the most hazardous air routes on the planet. Unpredictable winds, towering mountains and blinding cloud cover made for challenging flying, not to mention attacks by prowling Japanese fighter planes.

Mr. Mah interrupted one of his missions to journey across China, then being fought over by the invading Japanese, the ruling Chinese nationalists and the emerging Communists, to find his mother and sister deep behind enemy lines in the village of Fei Gno. Born in Canada, Mr. Mah had a limited comprehension of Chinese dialects, so he pretended that he could neither hear nor speak in order to escape questioning by the Japanese.

"I had to conceal myself in a coffin to get by a sentry post and I nearly suffocated," he once told an interviewer. By the time he arrived in Fei Gno, he'd come to the conclusion that the enterprise was too risky and that he should take back only his 12-year-old sister, Bernice. Together, they circumvented Japanese positions under cover of darkness and rested by day in bordellos. On one occasion, the boat on which they were travelling was strafed by Japanese Zeros. Eventually, they made it to safety. Bernice went on to India, and Mr. Mah returned to flying.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Duzey]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the intent of the original post was because I don't feel this is an issue that is going on in our armed forces today.
I think our country has grown beyond our racist past and that all members of our society would receive equal consideration when looking into a career in the forces.

There have been those that have served and been brushed aside and forgotten because of race, most notably, the Chinese.

The role of the museum is to collect, record and preserve artifacts, memorabilia and photographs and tell their wartime stories. In spite their courage and patriotism, the Canadian War Museum has no display of Chinese Canadian participation nor acknowledged them in the histories of the Royal Canadian Navy, the Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Air Force.

The Chinese Canadian Military Museum is unique. It reminds Canadians of the racist mistakes of the past and keeps the Chinese Canadian heritage and legacy alive by educating the public of the Chinese fight to repeal discriminatory laws and to earn their citizenship with all the rights and privileges and stand equal with other Canadians.

saltwatercity.bc.ca...

We can't change the past, but we can learn from it and attempt to make amends for the wrongs that were done.

Edit: You're quik on the draw Duzey, you remembered the Chinese, and got your link in for the museum while I typed up my post.

[edit on 26/8/2005 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I'm in Vancouver so we have quite a large Chinese population. I attend the Remembrance Day Services at Victory Square every year and there is always a large turnout of Chinese veterans. They are very proud of their service to our country. It's a very emotional day for them and it makes me want to cry to see the pure gratitude that shines in their eyes when you shake their hand and thank them for what they have done for us.

It's a shame more people don't remember the sacrifices these men made. Glad to see you're not one of them.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Gee China is using racial profiling for they have no black generals! Or people in the country, bad example.

Ok Rusiia is racist! Wait, again same problem........

Mexico? Same problem......

Germany? Same problem......

Alright Saudi Arabia is racist for they have no white people in their terrorist forces! Or in their country.......

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I make a point of attending at my local Cenotaph every Remembrance Day to think of those that served this country with honor. I know when I bow my head it is not skin colour that I think about but the deeds of all those brave men and woman.

I want to thank Duzey for the link to Victory Square in Vancouver, I've been to that Cenotaph in the late seventies while I was in Sea Cadets and you've brought back some memories of a trip I made with my sister and watching her stand alone and play the Last Post on her trumpet in a silent square. It gives me chills just to think back on this. Thanks again.

top topics

join