It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas prices cause of death of station owner???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

A station owner was killed attempting to stop a consumer from driving off after not paying for 52 dollars worth of gas. THe suspect had not been caught as of yet. Is a full tank worth the death of a father? We are pricing ourselves out of a convience, the automobile.

Gas prices are out of control, and 52 dollars was probably for a half a tank. I was coming home the other day from a long trip,and my gas light came on. I pulled into the next exit, put in 5 dollarss, and the light stayed on. 5 dollars!!! This could very well be a trend that may cause alot of injury or death.

Gas shortages are not far behind either. When it costs you over 50.00 to fill your tank, there is a problem. The problem is in some places it costs close to 100 to fill it up. 100 dollars to fill up a vehicle with gas.

[edit on 22-8-2005 by esdad71]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
sad really, good thing i don't drive yet.

jhh

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Attacks against gas stations will definitely become a reality, drive by shootings, pipe bombs, or throwing matches onto the ground. Once the rest of the country experiences $3, all hell will break loose.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow
sad really, good thing i don't drive yet.

yeah good thing u dont drive yet. better prepared for gas prices that are far higher than wat u see now. the higher the gas prices the more madder and crazier u become.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
People need to shy away from the gas guzzlers, move back to smaller cars and even motorcycles or bikes for short trips. Very few people NEED a hummer or SUV, and if you purchase one then be prepared for 100$ fill ups.

My Gas for a week is around 20 dollars.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Boo hoo. A gallon of fuel is costing almost $3?

You poor, poor things.

Im amazed that we in the UK cope with paing nearly £1 per litre and dont simply die.

Be greatful that your petrol is so cheap. And if its really too much for you drive more efficient cars.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe

You poor, poor things.

Im amazed that we in the UK cope with paing nearly £1 per litre and dont simply die.

Be greatful that your petrol is so cheap. And if its really too much for you drive more efficient cars.

is it like 6 dollars equivalent in the UK now? luky u people drive smaller cars.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
heck I would drive an old fashioon scooter if they were still legal.
Some of the best miles per gallon ever! I think it was something like 100 mpg.
Unfortunately, most cities outlaw them for safety reasons. Maybe they will start to change their tune if the gas prices keep skyrocketing.
As for the owner's death, it is very sad but the cops will tell you that one should not try to stop the gas drive-offs but to get the license plate number and report the theft. I have seen drive-offs take out the big trash bins in their attempts to get away, a shop owner would not be much of an impedment to these idiots

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The problem with this thread is the title:

"Gas prices cause of death of station owner???"

The gas prices aren't the cause. Some scumbag stealing the gas is the cause. Let's put the blame where the blame belongs.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

You poor, poor things.

is it like 6 dollars equivalent in the UK now? luky u people drive smaller cars.

No, theirs 8 litres to the gallon. It costs us £8 a gallon. Which comes to roughly $14. But on the other hand we get free healthcare and good schools, which are partly paid for by this tax on fuel.

(Edited to make sense)

[edit on 22-8-2005 by Uncle Joe]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Here's an idea.

Pay first, then pump!!

I can't even remember the last time I actually found a gas station that even allowed you to pump your gas first without paying. Every station I know of requires you to either pay with a card or pay first with cash. You give the guy the money and that is exactly how much will flow out of the pump. The pump won't give out any gas until it's been paid for. Simple. People just need to use their brain every now and then to solve some problems.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
That is really sad. What is even sadder is that we are not really surprised. People get funny when it comes to money and stress thus more of this type of thing is bound to occur. It never ceases to amaze what the human mind will do when stressed and angry.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Gas prices cause of death of station owner???"

The gas prices aren't the cause. Some scumbag stealing the gas is the cause. Let's put the blame where the blame belongs

thank you for gracing this thread with your presence. You miss the irony of the story that a owner is risking his own life to get the money he deserves for the money for the gas he is paying more for.

I bet you use the quote, "guns don't kill people, criminals do" . Actually, it is the bullets, like Chris Rock said, make a bullet 1000 dollars, and there would be no more drive by shootings.

When someone used to drive off after putting in 10 dollasrs worth of gas, itf happened 3 times a month, that is 30 or so dollars. NOw, with the price increasing, if it is now a 50 fill up happening half a dozen times a motnh, that is the difference of bineg able to hire more help. or work 6 to midnight on your own.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_for_sum
The gas prices aren't the cause. Some scumbag stealing the gas is the cause. Let's put the blame where the blame belongs.

The exact same thought occurred to me. And I do say, "Guns don't kill people, people do." A bullet is a benign object until projected through a gun by... you guessed it! A person!

The idea that people blame 'gas prices' for a death just feeds the mindset of unaccountability. It a pet peeve of mine. Blame who's responsible.

As far as the subject of the thread. I agree with those who say we're lucky to have it so cheap.
Toss that hummer and full-sized SUV. Ride a bike, walk, take public transportation, telecommute! It's the wave of the future.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

You poor, poor things.

This is ment with no disrespect, but with the geographical size of the UK compaired to the US you really don't travel as far as we do. When I was stationed in Florida in the 1980's we had one of your aircraft carriers pull into Mayport and we offered to let the helicopter squadron from it share our facilities. One Saturday afternoon we took a few of your guys down to the Kennedy Space Center from Jacksonville. They actually thought that we were going to spend the night down there because it was so far away. They couldn't believe it when we were there in about two hours. So the distance travelled might have something to do with it. The other thing is that we don't have the public transportation infrastructure like you do in the UK.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
A scumbag however is destined to be a criminal, but a mother of 4 working a # end job who needs to 10 bucks worth of gas may increase the chance of her stealing it. Does that make her a scumbag?

Also, the title of the thread ends in a question mark, as I am not blaming anyone directly, nor am i blaming the war in Iraq or Bush, I am simply stating that the overflow of crime from the high gas price could be on the rise, and it will affect middle America before those who drive H1's H2's and H3's.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I predicted ram raiding cash machine would happen before they started .
so hear I go again on fuel tankers

Its £1.02p a litre near me that’s £4.59 a gallon that equates to $8.21 a gallon
Can’t see what the problem is in the states.
We in the UK have been paying over $6 for the last 5 years or so

So here goes my prediction on fuel tankers

I’m sure in the not to distant future there shall be gangs going around stealing tankers and selling it on the black market.
If a road tanker holds’ lets say 20.000 gallons. That’s £164.200 dollars or £91.800 here in the UK.

Mathematical Fuel price equation (Farm = field = digger = hole = steal = buried = sell = Rise In Crime rate = (State the obvious).

FFDHSBS is = >RICR = STO

lets see if im not right.
if it does happen will they tell us or keep quite

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
A scumbag however is destined to be a criminal, but a mother of 4 working a # end job who needs to 10 bucks worth of gas may increase the chance of her stealing it. Does that make her a scumbag?

Not necessarily. But it does make her a criminal.

A scumbag is a scumbag whether he is a criminal or not.

Not sure of your point. But this particular conversation may be more appropriate in another section of the board. Philosophy, perhaps?

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm simply stupified that there isn't a Federal Gas Consumption Regulation, or something of hte sort. We have Gas Emissions standards, why not consumption standards? Such that anything that doesn't get at least XX miles per gallon (hwy, city, whatever), doesn't get to be on the road.

Obviously not super strictly, would have to be "for all new cars after 2006" etc etc, but still, would be nice.

Either that or a large gas tax on each gallon sold, that would put real consumer pressure to have low-consumption vehicles.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Such that anything that doesn't get at least XX miles per gallon (hwy, city, whatever), doesn't get to be on the road.

We are watching the free market do just this. No need for the Government to do anything but stand back and let it happen.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join