It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My favourite UFO case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
In August 1966 Inspector Jose Venancio Bittencourt of the Rio de Janerio police was faced with what he termed "the most baffling mystery in my 23 years on the force."

On August 20, police had discovered the bodies of two electronic technicians, Miguel Jose Vianna and Manuel Pereira de Cruz, one thousand feet up a hillside in the Rio suburb of Niteroi.

The bodies had been found after a woman who lived nearby, had reported to the authorities that she had seen a flying saucer land on the jungled slope of Morro do Vintem.

The woman had been so insistent in her claim that police had been despatched to placate her. The officers had not known what to find but they had not expected to find two corpses.

Both men had covered their faces in lead masks before they died. Several slips of paper were found near the bodies. Notations on several of the papers had been made in some strange kind of code.

One note , written in Portuguses, read "At 4.30pm we will take capsules with an orange. After the effect is produced, protect half the face with lead masks. Wait for agreed signal."

Another note read " Sunday, one capsule before meal ; Monday, one capsule in the morning ; Tuesday, one capsule before meal : Wednesday, one capsule before sleep."

Exhaustive laboratory tests were unable to determine the cause of deaths.

"There was no medical reason, within the ability of the state police lab to detect for the deaths. We have ruled out the possibilty of poison, violence and asphyxication" Said Inspector Bittencourt.

After the case was reported in the newspapers, a number of people reported to the police that they also had seen a UFO including a Mrs Gracindo de Souza, wife of a prominent member of the local stock exchange and her daughter.

Mrs de Souza told police that they made their sightings on August 17th -the date which medical examiners had established to have been the date of the deaths.

A watchmam, Raulino de Matos, saw the technicians arrive at the mountain in a jeep with two other men. When the four started to climb the hillside, Matos paid no further attention.

The two dead men were found lying side by side with their arms at their sides with no signs of a struggle.

Along with the two notes in Portuguese and the mysterious coded messages, investigators found a number of electrical charts, simple mathematical formulas, a handkerchief, a raincoat, sunglasses and a toothbrush.

Police never discovered the identities or whereabouts of the other two men who also climbed the hillside.

The case was closed and filed away after a further month of fruitless investigation.

A very very odd case indeed.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Weird case. I hadn't heard of this one.

Though, isn't there a possibility (the two were electrical engineers) that they were doing some kind of experiment than then killed them (and resulted in a phenomenon that appeared as a UFO?)

Were the drugs ever tested? That'd be the first thing to check. Any trauma to the bodies? Were autopsies dont? So many questions on this one....

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Hi Gaz !!

You know people (like me) sometimes post some interesting stuff up on here half hoping for some comeback, some help or some sort of direction.

Instead people respond to posts from people who have been to other planets etc etc !! ....one feels like throwing the towel in at times

This case was first discussed in "Flying Saucers Are Hostile" by Brad Steiger and Joan Whritemoor and was published in 1968.

It has always fascinated me mostly because of all the NAMES of the principal players are divulged and for years Ive been trying to find out more.

Only with the onset of the internet has this story become more in the public domain, there are sites which carry this story but none with the detail that the book does.

To me its the most fascinating UFO story Ive ever come across and I wish I could find out more but I cant !!!

Was hoping someone like you would have data on it !!

Incidentally, I typed word for word the story from the book.

Interestingly enough there are a few further gems in the book and I will probably relay them to you on here.

Looks like only me and you are interested in such stuff

Take care.

JayKew.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
It is very weird and interesting indeed... And it is also the first time I read about it... I'll try to gather a bit of info about it...

Thanks for letting us know about it!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I came across this intriguing story in Ritchie's 'The Definitive Guide to Unidentified Flying Objects and Related Phenomena', and found only TWO threads on it?
With 1 page of discussion on each? FROM 2005?!?!?!

I cannot fathom why this isn't worth researching! At the very least, in these times of 'Cold Case Files' and 'CSI', Josh Gates, ad infinitum; there should be someone ferreting this out!
I'm starting to think maybe this website is for debunking only...not discussions of true mystery.

This case has it all...UFO's, Death, Mystery Drugs, etc, etc....Jacques Vallee even investigated it!

Why is there no new information on it? Are there any ATS members from Brazil that recall this case, and can perhaps add info from recent Brazilian investigations into this seeming non-issue?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatGuyRA

Thanks at least for not opening another one lol you know people hate 3897538957894 million threads on the same thing. This case seems very fascinating and I'll have to check out that book you mentioned.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Over 5 and a half year later, I must say there was absolutely nothing interesting over what's been posted here to be found... And that dates back to 1966... 45 years ago.

I'm afraid that there's nothing here that can be found about it anymore... Unless one in Brasil would have the luck to physically meet with someone who would know more... but has never been brought forward so far!

Chances are against it can evolve. Sad but true.

top topics

join