It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sovremenny Class rebirth in China

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I just told you that someone inform about PLA would order three or two Udaloy III class in that discussion board. That link only for pictures which given to show the UdaloyIII class

[edit on 2-9-2005 by emile]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
It will be a powerful boost to the PLAN's ASW capability.

Traditionally the PLAN has been strong on surface warfare, and weak on ASW and area AAW, this seems to be changing rapidly.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
When and If will it began being built?

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
I just told you that someone inform about PLA would order three or two Udaloy III class in that discussion board. That link only for pictures which given to show the UdaloyIII class

[edit on 2-9-2005 by emile]

That is not a picture of a Udaloy III class, they dont even exist, the newest on is the udaly II (project 1155.1, the Udaloy I are project 1155) The picture shows an upgraded Sovremenny (Sovremenny II) type 965EM...

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LM_Guy
If a conflict ever breaks out due the China agression against Taiwan. These ships will make find artifical reefs after the US sub fleet get through with them. They will be sunk long before the US fleet carriers ever show up.

If they can avoid getting sunk by the Chinese ASW forces and the Chinese Diesel subs they might get a crack at these ships yes. There are many other things that can sink a US aircraft carrier so they do not HAVE to do with their surface fleet.

Stellar

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile
Okey if you can read Chinese, this link will be useful for you.

How reliable/official is SOHU when it comes to military matters and where do they get their info from? I don't go there often but I'm pretty sure SOHU is not dedicated to military info

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
If they can avoid getting sunk by the Chinese ASW forces and the Chinese Diesel subs they might get a crack at these ships yes. There are many other things that can sink a US aircraft carrier so they do not HAVE to do with their surface fleet.

Ha! China has second rate ASW capabilities, and only a handful of their foreign made diesel subs are actually decent. As for the Sov, well I'll let StrategyPage.Com handle that.

December 30, 2005: China has received a third Sovremenny class destroyer from Russia. The first two were taken out of Russian navy service and sold to China. These next two are newly built, and improved versions. These ships, displacing about 8,800 tons each, are equipped to defend itself with anti-aircraft missiles, and attack enemy ships with eight large (4.5 ton "Sunburn"), supersonic anti-ship missiles. Each ship has an anti-submarine helicopter, 48 anti-aircraft missiles, four torpedo tube, mines, depth charges, sonar, two 130mm (5 inch) guns and a modern electronic warfare system. These ships cost $700 million each, about half what their American counterparts, the latest Aegis destroyers, go for. The next class of American destroyers, the DDX, will cost several billion dollars each. The Russian navy has a very spotty record, and, while formidable on paper, the Sovremenny class is basically untried technology. Some of it may work quite well. The only problem is, no one is sure what parts.

StrategyPage

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Although the two Sovremenny II class that has come back China has no showed too many missiles has been installed on it as I said at this threat begining, but the 138, 139 still indicated China does want more and more heavy weapon to overwhelm Taiwan which is a democracy country.

Mod should resize the huge picture please

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Sovremmney II has drastic increases in combat capability the original Sovremmney I. All the FCS, computers, combat management systems have been replaced with the newest that Russia has on the market, the stuff that Russia hasn't equipped her own navy with.

Notice the additional second Band Stand radar on top of the helicopter pad? Thats for the Chinese home made SSMs which PLAN requested for the guidance of our own missiles.

It has 2 Kashtans.

8improved moskits which have 240 Km official range now.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
[edit on 14-2-2006 by NWguy83]

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Since this is not getting enough publicity on the thread it was posted on, I thought that this would a good place for bumping it:

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
LOL ... Chinese destroyer spooked

NEW DELHI: In a remarkable act of long-range maritime snooping, the Navy's reconnaissance aircraft and spy drones detected, tracked and photographed a spanking new Chinese destroyer and a tanker traversing through the Indian Ocean region this weekend. Sources said the newly-commissioned Sovremenny class destroyer, built for the People’s Liberation Army (Navy) at Russia’s St Petersburg-based North Shipyard, was "picked up" as soon as it entered the Arabian Sea from the Red Sea.

A Tupolev-142M long-range maritime patrol aircraft, flying from the Goa naval airbase, spotted the Chinese destroyer and the accompanying tanker off Yemen’s Socotra Island, located east of the Gulf of Aden, almost 2,300 km away from the Indian mainland. "The TU-142M, with its long-range cameras, photographed the destroyer carrying out underway replenishment or refuelling from the tanker," said sources.

Once the Chinese warships were pinpointed, the Navy kept them under constant surveillance throughout their passage in the Indian Ocean on way to South China Sea. Apart from TU-142Ms, Ilyushin-38s and Israeli Searcher and Heron UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) were deployed to keep track of the two ships. This, incidentally, is the second time in recent months that the Navy has caught the Chinese on the high seas. In December, a TU-142M had photographed two new Chinese submarines near the Cape of Good Hope. The destroyer, tracked by the Navy, was handed over to China on December 28.
Full Article >>

Hmmm...might not be the best idea to take to adventureism with a brand new month old destroyer.

hmm.. nice article..lots of interesting points..

1). China positioning its navy around 2 A/c carrier groups..
2).PLAN subs spotted by IN maritime recon at Cape of Good Hope.Thats 1000's of km away from the Indian coastline.
3). Solo Sovermeny + Tanker way out int he Indian Ocean? Was it being shipped to China(doubt it) or was the PLAN taking it out for a really long stroll? (unwise??!)

No USN sightings/findings/actions on this?
Its the Indian Ocean afterall, noth e South China Sea/Sea of Japan..

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   

3). Solo Sovermeny + Tanker way out int he Indian Ocean? Was it being shipped to China(doubt it)

The chinese detroyer was not spooked but was on a highly publicized voyage

Here is the destroyers in fance before they went inot the indian ocean

Why would you doubt it? here is parts of the article

"newly-commissioned Sovremenny class destroyer" + "their passage in the Indian Ocean on way to South China Sea"

Originally posted by Daedalus3
2).PLAN subs spotted by IN maritime recon at Cape of Good Hope

PLAN submainres at the cape of good hope?

Maybe some kilos being delivered?

[edit on 14-2-2006 by chinawhite]

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Publicised voyage?..hmmm..
Could you put up some links on that?
Cause if it is publicised, then its probably the first time this has happened(publicised voyage of PLAN ship in Indian Ocean).

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Cause if it is publicised, then its probably the first time this has happened(publicised voyage of PLAN ship in Indian Ocean).

It wasn't the first. the Luhai was the first in 2000 with other radar ships also making this voyage. This was a highly publicised voyage also but not many people took notice

I think you are mistaken by what i said. I meant highly Publicised as in every knew they were there but not the PR stunt your thinking of.The ship was being delivered to china and on the way they took the opputunties to make port visits.

Like in france

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Publicised voyage?..hmmm..

It was a Publicised voyage of the ship with other countries. They stoped all alone the way and wasn't done in secret because everyone knew that ship was coming alone that way. Simply by sendng your aircraft to the location where the destroyer was does not show increased or better capability at tracking ships.

Nor did the plane spook the chinese ship

[edit on 14-2-2006 by chinawhite]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
So in both cases the ships were being shipped TO china for the first time right?
It wasn't like a goodwill tour FROM china to where ever right?

I thought this was from China to where ever

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The ship that got "spooked" had justed finished production in russia and on its way to china. Russia >>> china

The Luhai aka 167 was on a goodwill visit to africa China>> indian ocean

The Sovremenny arrived on the 28 December last year

[edit on 15-2-2006 by chinawhite]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   
well, finding a ship in the open ocean is still no easy feat, though I'm not suprised that India seems to be talking it up a little in thier own statement of capabilities.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 06:34 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
So I suppose the real questions are, what sensors and weapons systems are they equipped with, and how effective do we (ATS) think they ought to be?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join