It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well Done Britain!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Are we truly so naive that we think having four suspects in custody will somehow deter other potential terrorists?!

Why would this be such a deterrent?

Suicide bombers as a rule have very little concern about prison sentences - and they have very little concern about the death penalty (though it's been abolished in England for decades), even if that was an option; I'm just not seeing how custodial sentences, arrests, etc etc, would deter someone who already has a plan of attack.

Or indeed, deter someone who doesn't have a plan, but has the motivation - if anything, seeing his fellow jihad-mates either imprisoned or dead would probably serve as inspiration to keep going...

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
It only took a week after the botched attack on the London underground for the police and everyone else involved in the investigation to find the four suspected bombers and place them in custody.

Hey, that's nothing. The FBI knew exactly which 19 terrorists were behind the 9-11 hijackings in under 24 hours. And the Pentagon started the invasion of Afghanistan in less than a month. Now that's impressive.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by aelphaeis_mangarae

Do you not think the participation of the war in the middle east is what has fuelled these recent attacks?

No because there is no real evidence, except for evidence that was probably manufactured that britian was attacked by terrorists.

But the UK was attacked by terrorists!

Who do you think did it then?? (stupid question I know!, because I know what your reply is going to be before you even type it! - the Government, the Jews, the CIA blah, blah, blah!)

Spacemunkey

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Who ever carried out the attacks are terrorists for carrying out the attacks, not because they are Islamic.

wecomeinpeace are you being serious?!

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
As a Brit I'm proud of the way the police have responded (excepting the unfortunate death of the Brazilian guy)

In a recent UK poll 85% of the population believe that the Iraq war was a major factor in the recent attacks.

I'm partly proud because as a Brit we're always bragging about our liberal democracy, Independent judiciary, and professional law enforcement and they have come up to scratch once again.

(So the bragging will continue)

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Britain seems always to hold their heads up even when times are tough and the bombs were dropping on their families.

Isn't John Bull the man who created the super gun and was murdered for it?

Dallas

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Saw an interview with a bike shop owner in London. It seems that since the recent attacks the number of people hiring bicycles has gone through the roof, except on rainy days.
Apparently fewer people want to ride the tube these days, except when they may get wet! Of course, the odds of getting run over by a car are far greater than being blown up, but hey, it's all about perception.

Oh, and with these rapid apprehensions at least it now looks like I am getting some return on my council tax.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I think the important part of the piece on John Bull that the link above takes you to is that he was originally designed by a satirist. He is most closely compared to Uncle Sam but he is often used in a satirical way. At the height of empire John Bull is seen carving up the world like a glutton with an over filled plate.

But he is also a patriotic stereotype.

[edit on 30-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

Originally posted by phixion
It only took a week after the botched attack on the London underground for the police and everyone else involved in the investigation to find the four suspected bombers and place them in custody.

Hey, that's nothing. The FBI knew exactly which 19 terrorists were behind the 9-11 hijackings in under 24 hours. And the Pentagon started the invasion of Afghanistan in less than a month. Now that's impressive.

Ok, let me guess, you're American right? Well here we go again, the Americans can't stand anyone else doing something better than, or as efficient as them. I wholeheartedly congratulate England on their success in their investigations and arrests. Any country in the world that can capture 20 or so suspected terrorists in 100% sucessful raids with no injuries, while involving suspected high explosives, deserves commendation.
Thank God we have the might and efficiency of the SAS to fall back on if ever our police force cannot withstand a terrorist situation, I feel extremely confident in British forces all over the world. God Bless Britain and all who protect her!

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DARKJEDIG
Ok, let me guess, you're American right? Well here we go again, the Americans can't stand anyone else doing something better than, or as efficient as them.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roy Robinson Stewart

Citizens here present, it is my duty to remind you that it has not yet been proven that any of the suspects in either of the london bombings had anything to do with the bombings at all.

The British government are therefore doing a very poor job in the justice department and your congratulations are misplaced

In order to encourage independent rational thought, I suggest that you destroy your TV set

Your logic is flawed. You claim that it hasn't been proven that these people are connected, but may I remind you that it hasn't been proven that they aren't either. So unless you know something that the police do not, you've no authority to come to the conclusion that they're not doing a very good job.

Regardless, these people were all suspects, and they were apprehended very quickly. If the suspects have no connection to the bombings then it will not be the fault of the police, it will be the fault of the police intelligence service who provided the information and leads that lead to the arrests. I think the police have quite clearly demonstrated that they are very capable of doing the job they're required to do, and it makes me proud to be British.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roy Robinson Stewart
The British government are therefore doing a very poor job in the justice department and your congratulations are misplaced

Mr Roy Robinson Stewart, could you just remind me how many of the 'really dangerous' terrorists in guantanemo bay and how many people connected with 9/11 have been convicted so far?

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I actually agree with Mr Roy Robinson Stewart.

The people in custody [wherever that is] are terrorist suspects! They have not been found guilty in any court in the Uk and therefore should be presumed innocent until proven guilts.

The Brazilian who got 'topped' the other day was an 'illegal' but I do so love the Government's new repatriation laws -
8 rounds to the head!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join