It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online "Relationship"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
After My last relationship ended about 1 month ago, Im now trying the "meeting new people online" thing and I don't see how its bad as long as your cautious and dont rush into anything.

One of my best friends met his wife online, they talked for a couple of months, fell in love, he went to visit her in Canada, fell madly in love, then got married and moved here. They have had a rough time of it because of cultural diferences but they've managed to work through them with a lot of love, understanding and sometimes some arguing.

So yes it can work, as long as your careful and always I mean always be yourself. Thats the most important thing.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
. . . They have had a rough time of it because of cultural diferences . . .

??

Could you elaborate on that? You mean different ways of relating between the two of them and not like, how Canadians eat raw meat or something, right???

You're not telling me that it turns out all Canadians sleep in caskets, are you? Or that Canadian women will only get intimate with you if you wear a wedding dress? Nothing like that, hmmm? I just need a little reassurance right now. . . .

Maybe it's those northern lights.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Originally posted by Ocelot
. . . They have had a rough time of it because of cultural diferences . . .

??

Could you elaborate on that? You mean different ways of relating between the two of them and not like, how Canadians eat raw meat or something, right???

I mean the way they react to certain situations that may occur in everyday life. Thats what I mean.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Good. That's what I thought you meant. I was just amusing myself with the thought that there is some horrible secret about our neighbors to the north that you never learn about until you move up there. Something you'd watch on the sci-fi channel.

I'm sure there are people who have wonderful fulfilling relationships that begin on the net. Hey, you have to meet somewhere.

My reservation comes from the world of investment. When you pick an investment, even if it pays off a little, you have to calculate what is called opportunity cost. For instance, last year you could have invested in a variety of corporate bonds that would have paid you 5% or so. On the other hand, that same money, if it had been invested in Google, might have quadrupled your money.

So that even if the bonds made a profit, that profit came at a huge opportunity cost; namely, all the opportunities that passed you by on the way to that meager profit.

What about all the local girls in the supermarket, at the library, at the state mental hospital's outpatient entrance, that you won't meet because your talking to a some Bangladeshi with a hot avatar.

But then, I suppose the opposite is equally true.

On the other hand, if you are reasonably well adjusted, you ought to be able to enjoy a relationship with at least 1 woman in 5 that you already know, without going around the world to do it.

On the other hand, sometimes I like to IM my wife, when I'll see her at dinner anyway.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
My wife and I have those cultural differences. I was raised that a marriage is a partnership, and both partners work to help each other, and share the load of housework, raising the kids etc. SHE was raised that it's her job to take care of me, clean the house, raise the kids, and if she works, then she comes home and does those things.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
My wife and I have those cultural differences. I was raised that a marriage is a partnership, and both partners work to help each other, and share the load of housework, raising the kids etc. SHE was raised that it's her job to take care of me, clean the house, raise the kids, and if she works, then she comes home and does those things.

yeah zaphod, I can just see this being the interesting part of living together lol altho my man has basically taken care of himself all his adult life being in the military and all, I was raised in a western society but still with the old school traditions of middle easterners where the woman does all that. I don't agree that that's how it should be and to an extent I kind of hate that the man expects] it to be done, but it is how it is sometimes. For me it's just how I am, I like to keep things clean and do for other people, especially so being in this sort of relationship (which is new to me as I have been single most of my life)

I look forward to it all tho, no doubt

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Honestly that's the biggest thing that drives me nuts. I really love the way she takes care of me, all the little things that she does make me feel good. But she keeps saying it's her job as my wife. I'm like,Uh, NO. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate it, and she would do them anyway, because she likes to take care of me, but that whole "It's my job" thing makes me crazy.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Your mom raised you well definitely. Luckily I was raised that way too and I also learned alot on my own. I find that the utmost success in any marriage relies on keeping that line of communication open. Although I'm guilty at times of not livin' by what I might preach so I indeed know what I have to work on. I have never really been a big talker ~ actually I think I'm a better listener which at times does have it's advantages. I don't think a woman really likes a man that won't shut up and listen to her. I have learned though woman also like feedback .... Well, I don't wanna get off the discussion topic but I'm glad Zaphod that your mom instilled those qualities in you ~ I'm sure your wife is happy too. I know I'm gonna do my best to treat my lady with the same love and courtesy that my mom instilled in me too ....

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

but that whole "It's my job" thing makes me crazy.

My wife does that, too. I feel like a jerk for objecting to being pampered (especially when it's stuff I really like. But don't say you're obligated, or that it's your role in our family or something. (But don't stop . . . a little more to the left. . . .)

She is sort of competative that way. When she's supposed to send treats for a party at school, she will do a bunch of baking, exactly as if she were competing for "best mom" against the other kids' parents. not healthy. As in, staying up till 3 am to finish the baking. etc.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
And the other moms don't try to make her feel fat?

Women can be so bad to each other. so bad!

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by reyna4fitness
And the other moms don't try to make her feel fat?

Is that real?

She talks about that from time to time. I sort of thought it was in her head. She says that the other moms glare at your shoes, stare at each other's butts (in a non-appreciative way) and make a point of pulling in front of you if they have a bigger SUV, etc.

I thought she was joking/paranoid. They seem like a fairly friendly bunch to me. I figured they were just mommies (and about 4 dads) cheauffeuring their kids around.

I guess, after working in law enforcement, I'm used to people "cutting eyes at me and ignoring it.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I find my online relationships actually somewhat interesting and fulfilling. Go ahead and hit me up sometime, i enjoy making friends.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lianna
I find my online relationships actually somewhat interesting and fulfilling. Go ahead and hit me up sometime, i enjoy making friends.

No you're not pathetic. I greatly enjoy my online relationships too. Wait...maybe we are both pathetic!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join