It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese scientists developed the first female android.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
For those of you who feel the need to talk about the potential of the robotic sex, please read my above post. Thank you.

For everyone else, I dont see how these robots would fill any useful purpose other than very simple labor. Because they have really no personal touch, and it will be a long time before they do. People are just too sensitive about peoples reactions. Even customers who talk to people working at a fast food restarant feel like they arent talking to a person when they give their order.
These robots will just be physically convincing and thus only good for jobs that dont require direct contact, like stocking, construction work, and other boring, repedative, or dangerous tasks.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This is kind of disgusting but you don't really need robots to act human like for them to gain acceptance.

All you need to do is model animal level intelligence with an animal that inherently social, like a dog. The android might seem a little dumb but it'll be cute. And we all know how people take to cute things. So acceptance to androids (if they crack the AI part first) could very easily come.

The only thing standing in the way of having robotic servants replacing all forms of min. wage jobs is a working model of prediction and initiative. We're actually doing pretty good with prediction, but initiative is very very hard to do outside of magic numbers or forced top down logic. Of course, initiative can come from prediction, so perhaps we're not as far away as I think.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I think it is important that machines do not physically look like humans. A general shape is ok, but not the actual looking like a human. The NS-5 design from iRobot is good.

That said, I also do not believe that AI should ever come in contact with a capable body. Any machine that looks human should be capable of completely only simple tasks that it's been programed to do.

So I propose two things, thus far:

1) Machine shall not be created in the image of man.
2) Machine body and mind shall remain seperate.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
You almost sound afraid of a machine that looks and thinks too much like a human....and Im sure you have your reasons.

But really, robots have no chance of surpassing the human brain in terms of multifunctioning, perception, and a million other things. Its simply too much for a computer to deal with.
Once again, it may look incredibly lifelike, and may someday move very lifelike, but it will never talk convincingly or have the ability for improvisation as humans can. You cant make a robot do crazy or spontaneous things.

Your fears are all valid, but fear not, for currently, computers have only one thing over the brain, and thats number crunching. And Im not afraid of my calculator.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
...ok...take a look at this one:

www.collegehumor.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Its very reasonable for robots to look like humans becouse that means they can operate machinery and such that was made for humans to operate. Not all of them of course, but you get the idea.

And not implying to sex, that is just deranged, sticking it into a can opener of all things

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Deckard:-Replicants are like any other machine... They're either a benefit or a hazard.

I personally can't wait till they walk among us, But this tech will be raped and abused by the military first.

Imagine, a crew of these piloting a spacecraft on a mission to the edge of our solar system and beyond, being able to land and explore as we would.
Air would not be a problem and social interaction wouldn't really be needed. However, ET might be a tad confused though.

Were not that far away from it now, we just need certain heads to get together and it would be a reality in our life time.

AI would be something like Alice. Click here.

I personally use Hal. Click here
You can actually speak as in use a mic and he/she/it will responds to your question.

Movement could consist of riplee own and Qrio. Click here

His so cute I want one

Why be scared of them?. They are machines they are not self aware....yet!.
They are programmed to learn by humans, which will be abused by military and terrorists, so I suggest you dont buy any army surplus when they become available.

A law similar to Isaac Asimov set of laws governing a robots behaviour would be needed.

1:- A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2:- A robot must obey orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3:- A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

I can't wait....

Deckard: You're reading a magazine... You come across a full page nude photo of a girl...
Rachael: Is this testing whether I'm a replicant or a lesbian Mr Deckard?
Deckard: Just answer the questions please.

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Rebostar]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
As discussed several months ago here

If I were a mod this thread would be soooo closed...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Oh please!!!.

There were 5 response to that thread verse 3 pages worth on this one.
Merge the threads, yes. Why do you want this thread closed, is it offending you?.
I detest people who have nothing better to do than hunt round forums looking for repeat threads. Maybe this thread has a different slant on it ??.

Contribute rather than deny!!.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Jeeze Im just saying theres already been one! I had a thread on this subject months ago and it was closed because that thread was first. That is why we have the search function. To avoid the repeat threads. And youve been a member for what 5 days? This is the way ATS is run!

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
No you were saying...and I quote "If I were a mod this thread would be soooo closed... "

Well I guess your not, because its still here.

As for me being a new member, that I maybe, but I have been reading this board for well over a year so I know how it works here at ATS.

Now go suck that prune in someone else thread.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
And I don't hunt forums looking for repeat threads, I saw this thread which is just a repeat of a thread I had previously read and so I decided to point it out. And if you know how ATS works then why didn't you use the 'quote' feature instead of:

Originally posted by Rebostar
No you were saying...and I quote "If I were a mod this thread would be soooo closed... "

Ah...newbies, there so cute when they pick a fight...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Lmao..Now I will admit that was funny....

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Truly pathetic Atomix, attacking someone for the number of their posts....

As anyone who has spent more than a few moments browsing online forums should know, some people will post a million times and still be an idiot, others will post once and be a genius.

Number of posts or how long since registration is never an indicator of the worthiness of the posts content.

With the above stated, I grudgingly admit that you had a point...too bad you had to be insulting and argumentative.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigPimpin
I think androids are a bad Idea, because if they start doing jobs for other people, then they will take peoples jobs. Like on that south park episode where the aliens come and start working for less money and people lose their jobs. Except the androids would work for free (except for the cost of buying one). Think about it. If in the near future androids cost about $25,000-$50,000, and have a lifetime warrenty (they dont have to look exactly like people either) then wouldnt it be easier to buy an android who would work for a lifetime, then to pay a Mc Donalds person $25,000 a year or a house maid $50,000 a year? They may cost alot, but what happends when they become cheeper then paying a yearly sallery for a worker? World population is already skyrocketing and it is getting harder and harder for people to find jobs, this will only create a bigger problem- More workers\less jobs.

well then the price of capital goes down and everyone can afford to open a mcdonalds. then everyones quality of life goes up..

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I think it would work for the better actually.
Think about it the robots would take over doing all the labouring and monotinus jobs meaning we (humans) would never have to strain or stress in work again (i wish).

Yes, in the short to medium term there would be mass unemployment and poverty i'm sure, but once the next generation of young adults kick in and start learning the trades that are left ie: Science,design,art and and hmm whats left?. Oh I know the advancement of the human race.

Me, id be on the scrapheap being a metal worker but I could live with that knowing my children would never have to suffer for the sake of making a living and actually see the benefits of a more intellectual centered society.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I've been thinking about that off and on for years. Yes, I do like the idea...and...

Wait.

"Off and on?"

RUBY!

That's right. There was an episode of Ruby* that talked about that. The difficulties of transitioning to the sort of society that we're discussing. People being so accustomed to working and drawing identify from it. techonology progressed, and eventually the whole notion of "working" became totally irrelevant because all services could be easily automated.

Chaos ensued.

But eventually they overcame it.

Perhaps we will too.

* "Ruby, the Adventure of the Galactic Gumshoe" is/was a radio adventure show that aired in the erly 80's based loosely on the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, which also inspired the movie Blade Runner.

It was heavily laden with philosophy on an interesting variety of subjects, and spawned several cultural offshoots that you might even recognize.

If you'd like a preview of the sort of thing the show dealt with, take a look at www.nuku.com... (Be sure to have your speakers turned on.)

[edit on 28-9-2005 by LordBucket]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
ill have to agree with bucket on the ultimate sextoy thing. the japanese are way into their hentai. heheheh.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
OK Everone, I'd like to apologise to Rebostar. Harsh words/pictures were exchanged. But we shalt move past that...

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
No need to there just words on the net, besides the picture made me laugh

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join