It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Write a Story, Go to Jail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is pathetic. America has sold freedom for a false sense of safety.

Brian Robertson was just months away from graduation at Moore High School in Moore, Oklahoma, last year when he found the beginnings of what he thought was a short story on a school computer. He copied the file to another computer, added some paragraphs to the initial text and then promptly got arrested.

www.wired.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The thought police have arrived... Orwell's predictions are being fulfilled one by one

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Yeah. There's no room for horror book authors in America anymore. Have you ever read "Rage", by Stephen King? (under his assumed name Richard Bachman)

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I enjoy stirring the sh!t. Just makes me want to startin' writing stories about the NWO, aliens, Bush and guns in schools...

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I started writing my own book a while back. It's been slow going, but I'm still working on it. Maybe a few of you will tell me what you think? (Grammatical errors aside. This is a rough draft, of course.) I've gotten pretty positive feedback, so far. Most have told me I should finish it.

[Crap! It's down right now. Probably be back up in awhile, though. When my avatar isn't gone anymore, it should be good again.]

Please make any comments you may have here, so I don't have to check this thread too.
I took John bull's advice and started a thread in the appropriate location.

[Edited on 24-8-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   
So now youre only allowed to write about politically correct happy rainbows and babby bunny type crap, no more sci fi, military war stories, horror novels, ect, because they all contain violoent acts that could be terrorist or harmful.

Yep, this be the liberal side of the NWO. Good thing they werent this bad when i was in school, the dark death poems and stories I turned in as English assignments would have landed me a life in prison!

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Satyr.
Why don't you write a synopsis and post it here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm sure quite a few of us would be interested in reading it,including me, and you'll get honest feedback to boot.

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   
To be honest, school violence is a big issue. It's not the thought police, it's the fact that he was working on a story like that IN HIS SCHOOL. thats like me hanging out in a convenience store talking about robberies. I'm sure that it also violated several district policies, and while i'm not a fan of him getting arrested for it, he should have put more thought into it.

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Why is it double posting on me? Twice!

[edit] Nevermind. I reloaded the page and now it's normal.

Originally posted by John bull 1
Satyr.
Why don't you write a synopsis and post it here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm sure quite a few of us would be interested in reading it,including me, and you'll get honest feedback to boot.

Thanks. I hadn't realized you had a section for that!

[Edited on 24-8-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
Yeah. There's no room for horror book authors in America anymore. Have you ever read "Rage", by Stephen King? (under his assumed name Richard Bachman)

Yes why do you ask?

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Just because of the nature of the story. It was a story about a kid who went crazy at school, before it ever even happened. The point is, his story became very famous, and sold many copies. What's wrong with anyone writing something of that nature? Stephen King has said he'd probably flip out kill people for real, if he didn't write his stories. There's nothing wrong with fantasizing about those things, as long as you know they're only fantasies. I used to write about killing kids I hated. Kids who used to beat the crap out of me for no reason, and laugh while they were doing it. They deserved to die, IMO. BUT, I never killed any of them. So, is it a crime to think of such things? Is it a crime to write them down? It shouldn't be.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
Just because of the nature of the story. It was a story about a kid who went crazy at school, before it ever even happened. The point is, his story became very famous, and sold many copies. What's wrong with anyone writing something of that nature? Stephen King has said he'd probably flip out kill people for real, if he didn't write his stories. There's nothing wrong with fantasizing about those things, as long as you know they're only fantasies. I used to write about killing kids I hated. Kids who used to beat the crap out of me for no reason, and laugh while they were doing it. They deserved to die, IMO. BUT, I never killed any of them. So, is it a crime to think of such things? Is it a crime to write them down? It shouldn't be.

i dont think its a crime, disturbing maybe but not a crime.

but you have to remember, this is america, home of the over reactive and land of the over protective. i dont think what he did was a crime per se BUT....there have been situations where such "documentation" was found after a kid or group of kids goes into a school and shoots its up and then themselves. people are over reacting to this but there is another factor we must keep in mind. while he might have kept this all in perspective and said "hey, its just fantasy, i know it and i would never do it" and is probably doing it as an outlet there are some who do the same thing and it FEEDS their anger and hatred. they take it all so seriously and wind up having a psychotic episode over it.

i dont agree or disagree with this as there are many factors to take into consideration. of course where he did this wasnt the smartest of ideas. of course had this been done at his home and then later flipped out and then they found this the question they'll be asking once again will be "why didnt we see this coming?". people will once again question parents and their ability to keep track of what their kids are doing and making sure things like this dont get out of hand. and the michael moores of the country will come out and attack the NRA and firearm makers and try to ban guns once again and the nation will get all weepy eyed and then we'll go through another phase of being sensitive to our kids and blah blah blah. i'm tired of it.

what i'm mentioning here is just one persepctive, if i thought about it long enough i can come up with several more easily but i wont bother. we've all heard the same things before.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:32 PM
link   
The reason they never see it coming is because they never will. Do we really want thought police? There's no way you can tell who is a killer and who isn't, until they kill. Last time I checked, it was still legal to be crazy, or just different, as long as you're not violent. I guess that's no longer so?
It's the same as drunk drivers being "potential killers". I disagree with that. There are people (myself included) who have never killed anyone while driving drunk. Then there are people who kill someone completely sober. Why didn't they see it coming? Because there's never any prewarning, really. Sure they can arrest all kinds of people that "could be killers", but then they're also going to arrest alot more innocent people who would never hurt anyone. No one is a killer, until they've killed. That's just the hard, cold truth of this. You can't arrest someone for murder before they've murdered anyone. Nope, this is definitely not right. It's a very slippery slope.

[Edited on 25-8-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 05:32 PM
link   
alright...now this is stupid.why in the h*ll would you punish someone for writing a friggen story? Is it just me or is that a bunch of sh*t. I mean, its not like he did what was in the story.I tell ya...this world is so corupt that it is bound to end soon.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This isnt the first case I have seen if you dont know about this guy the government banned his book called The Federal Mafia how to legaly stop paying income tax.

www.paynoincometax.com...

Here is the website.

You can also watch video from the court where the irs would not cross examine his witnessess.

Falcon

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Can someone please tell me why I just woke up, and found out that colonel klink is running the world?

I'm so sick of this facist "Pahpas pleees" Bullcrap.

[Edited on 25-8-2003 by Fury]

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Welcome police state, goodbye freedom..
Isnt the US just the most best place to live?

Not that this would be my problem..

WHICH it is not.. (see i got it right.. looked at the dictionary.. no more "witch")

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Simple way he could have gotten around all this trouble...ITS CALLED A DISCLAIMER...

He could have initiated it as a pre-script...or a post-script...claiming that anything he had written was of a ficticious nature, and any similularities were purely coincidental...or something to that effect...That would have kept his butt out of the sling..and might have even gotten his story notice as something creative...tho it's subject matter might have been considered dark.

Now, on the other hand...should the disclaimer not be accepted, and he still would have gotten the treatment he has gotten...then it's time to get a lawyer to fight for your right to write...

~Oracle

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by falcon
This isnt the first case I have seen if you dont know about this guy the government banned his book called The Federal Mafia how to legaly stop paying income tax.

www.paynoincometax.com...

Here is the website.

You can also watch video from the court where the irs would not cross examine his witnessess.

Falcon

That's incredible. You should start a whole thread on that...

top topics

join