It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crazy looking aircraft

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
What are the most crazy looking aircraft you can find? (N.B. Can't be models/computer mock ups however, they can be prototypes).

I offer the Rockwell XFV-12. I kind of like the look. Anyone else like it?

If you want more info on it just google it and I think GlobalSecurity have stuff on it

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
That plane acn't possible fly... It got to be against the laws of physics... lol...

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Greetings,

If I am correct, I believe it was a USN attempt at creating a fighter with the capabilities of the F-4 and the ability to conduct VTOL operations, either from carriers or from smaller destroyers etc Sorta like a F-14 VTOL aircraft.

- Phil

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Convair XFY-1 Pogo

Both Convair's XFY-1 Pogo and Lockheed's XFV-1 Salmon resulted from the same design contest held in 1950 to design a vertical takeoff fighter aircraft, and they embodied a number of design similarities including sharing the same power plant and contra-rotating propellor unit, gimballed pilot's seat and caster wheels on the aerofoil surfaces.

The Convair's stubby delta wings and unusually large vertical surfaces created what was effectively a set of cruciform flight surfaces.

The Pogo made some 280 tethered flights in an airship hangar before making its first free flight in August 1954, with the first transitions to and from horizontal flight taking place that November.

The program was cancelled in 1955 from a combination of handling problems and the realisation that the design could not match the performance of contemporary fighter aircraft.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infidellic

I'd also like to add that it was indeed against the laws of physics for it to fly as it never succeeded in lifting off the ground, so well said that man

I always liked the look of the XFV-12 when I was 13 because it looked so futuristic.

To cut costs it was made out of parts of other planes, mainly an A-4 Skyhawk nose and cockpit and F-4 Phantom main wings and air intakes, which always made me wonder why McDonnel Douglas didn't try it? Maybe they had more sense

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Meanwhile this Potez 75 ground attack aircraft can hardly be called pretty, it also looks at least two decades older than it actually is, dating as it does from the Mid 1950's when the Hunter and F-100 were new.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I have to go with the X-3S.

Looks like a stretched out lawn dart.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
That is the X3 not the X35 It says on the nose

[edit on 22-7-2005 by ajsr71]

Sorry misread the S for a 5

[edit on 22-7-2005 by ajsr71]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
well heres mine for the crazy books. i like the look of it but it never flew. got stuck as a mock up.
users.dbscorp.net...

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The X-27 doesn't look that crazy :p

Here's a pic if you can't be bothered to go to the website:

Looks like a high wing YF-23 (wings) and TSR2 put together to me and I like both

Indeed from GlobalSecurity:

The Lockheed CL-1200 Lancer was company-funded proposal for a derivative of the F-104 Starfighter intended for the export market.

[edit on 22/7/05 by Infidellic]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
In case you've never been to www.luft46.com, it shows many designs that were on the German drawing boards at the end of WWII and some of them get pretty strange.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Here is a picture of the XFV-12 I particulary like.

I never seen the pictures you showed.

Too bad you already mentioned this aircraft right off the bat, it's one of my favorites too...

BTW, doesn't it look like it could just transform into a robot or something? :lol

[edit on 22/7/2005 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Just some: Morane - Sauliner MS1001 Stratodyne

Loire 301

Antonov KT A-40

Lippisch DM-1

Leduc 021

Leduc 022

etc...

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I've always liked the Guppies for looking like they fell out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon.
www.air-and-space.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Its not a real airplane, but it certainly is my favorite design and pretty damn crazy. Sure the Swept forward wing has been done before, but not nearly this extreme or pretty. I remember watching Macross Plus many years ago for the first time in a little independent theatre in dallas texas in the highland park area. The YF-19 looks totally awesome to me, much better than its competitor in the movie IMO.

I don't like anime mecha normally, and dont care for anime usually, but when in plane mode, its just perfect and strange at the same time.

macrossplus.areaseven.net...

macrossplus.areaseven.net...

[edit on 23-7-2005 by Galvatron]

[edit on 23-7-2005 by Galvatron]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
There was no error in my post. Look carefully I called the aircraft the X-3S not X-35 XRAY-3 SIERRA.

That Robotech plane kind of looks like the X-29

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Sorry ajsr71 I didn't read your whole post where you mistook my S for a 5.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Actually, the Robotech looks like little more like the Su-47 to me.

The Bird of Prey was a little goofy looking, but still damn cool.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
As "goofy" as the Bird of Prey may look to some, the RCS value of it alone would make any aircraft today look "goofy."

seekerof

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'd never even heard of an Su-47. Say what you want about the Russians, sometimes they do build them pretty.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join