It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crazy looking aircraft

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I can't let this go without my favorite.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
There is a whole range of crazy looking Luftwaffe planes. including

The HS 132

The BA 349

Gotha Go147

And the Focke-Wulf Triebflügeljäger

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
As "goofy" as the Bird of Prey may look to some, the RCS value of it alone would make any aircraft today look "goofy."

That's true. Look at what they said about the SR-71, the F-117, and even the YF-23. The F-117 is definitely one of the most bizarre USAF aircraft.... that we know of.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Airbus Super Transport. Newer version of the old GUPPY.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Oh come on cyberian you gotta love the wobblin' goblin.

Personally it's my all time favorite weird shaped fixed wing aircraft.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
i think this is the fastest i guess.

See for your self on da link below =)

members.lycos.co.uk...

Enjoy Reading =)

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Just realised, how could I forget TACIT Blue!!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
TACIT BLUE is just an incredibly crazy looking plane! yeah definitly deserved a mention.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I vote for the F26 with it's most craziest possible "X" shaped aircraft!

www.stavatti.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The Stavatti is crazy looking, but it is pure fiction. Not too far away from the look of that thing was this REAL project from BAe Kingston, formerly known as Hawker Siddeley Aviation.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
you guys make a sweet thread
good work

since im posting ill go ahead and show a few sweet pics and add to the whole thing

i know alot of them are nazi planes ; but im not a nazi and i dont support nazis
i just thought these prototypes were sweet looking

thats alot of them huh? it was my photobucket collection

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
doh i forgot to post this one; its cooler than the rest of em imo

when i saw it , i thought "nazi b2?"

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
"Good thread goes bad" with a bunch of planes that where nothing more then dreams. heck i got some werid drawings i did as a kid that are think are plan awsome.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Lot of problems with the design.

The cockpit is of course completely out of step with the popular notion of decent all-round view, being both too high at the sills and razorbacked.

On a similar note, the inlets and canards both block rearwards and downwards views while sitting too close to the ground to be out of ground effect and FOD hazarding conditions (IMO).

Having large endplates on the wing will up your RCS quite a bit and lead to some directional and roll inertia problems in some flight conditions.

Similarly, putting both tails AND landinggear outboard is structurally unwise for weight and strain on the wing roots.

I would also state that the layout seems likely to restrict any underwing ordnance to just one pylon per side, thanks to flow complexities and clearance factors coming off the inlets, canards and tiplets. It may also prove to be difficult loading the thing as you would have to either raise the flaps and bring the Jammer in from behind. Or turn it almost 90` getting behind the canards.

In general, given the almost total failure of ejector lift under operational conditions; I would instead go to a high, raised, fuselage, putting the inlet above and behind the cockpit ala F-107 while keeping a short case turbine (F124/125) that could make the most of flap blowing -ahead of- the TEF surfaces. Also adding either a secondary lift engine or a gas/shaft driven lift fan system in a large LEX/Chine type surround on the fuselage aft the cockpit.

The cockpit itself would have to be moved forward and the tails would have to come in to the centerline so that I could increase the wingspan.

The 'nice thing' being that you could have controlled (80 knots, 400ft) ESTOL without the bulk of the JSF's internal carriage requirements in a decent CAS jet with a large centerline payload option and at least 2 wing pylons per side.

VTOL/STOVL is, IMO, always going to be a fight against plumbing vs. package size that will never come out right until they invent some kind of gravity field generator or _very_ powerful, small, rocket packages.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I wonder what kind of convoluated shapes well use once we use gravity disortions to move around.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Davood
I wonder what kind of convoluated shapes well use once we use gravity disortions to move around.

No need to wonder about that, the shape is a Triangle.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
doh i forgot to post this one; its cooler than the rest of em imo

when i saw it , i thought "nazi b2?"

Walter Horten, one of the brothers of the Horten aircraft company that made the German wings, wrote Jack Northrop to inquire about a job. Northrop encouraged Horten to try to come to the United States. Unfortunately he never was able to make it over, that I know of. Imagine how much sooner Northrop's dream of an operational flying wing could've been accomplished. We might even be flying around in flying wing airliners right now since that was his initial dream.

[edit on 7/25/2005 by CyberianHusky]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Boeing is working on the BWB, I don't know if that project will actually take off the ground, but it's a giant flying wing that acts as an airliner.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
If anyone could take the flying wing design into the world of air travel it's Boeing. I imagine they are using collaboration from Northrop.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ULTIMA1
Airbus Super Transport. Newer version of the old GUPPY.

Surprsing it has only 2 engines instaed of 4!!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join