It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best Console Ever?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
playstation 1 and 2 can never be the best console ever as they are cd form and you have to wait 3 hours just for your game to load = lots of minus points.

Even though the PSX, PS1 and PS2 ARE the best consoles by far...i do agree that using cd's is a stumbling block...but not because of load speeds!

My reason for prefering cartridge to cd is simple...
A few scratches on the cd and its time for a new copy...

Whereas...you could chew on a cartridge and bounce it off the walls and it will still come back for more!

Mic
:w:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'd have to go with the Super Nintendo. I used to played that all the time as a kid
. I loved the Mario games. I still have the system and still play it some times. The system had some awesome games.

My second choice would have to be the 1st Nintendo. Unbeliveably I still have it and it still works

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
1. Snes - mario kart etc
2. Master system - Alex kid in miracle world
3. Nes - duck hunt
4. ps2 - grand theft auto vice city
5. x box 360 - call of duty 2

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by buckaroo
2. Master system - Alex kid in miracle world

Im at my mates house in Scotland...hes got Alex Kidd but i cant get the damn thing to work...Gutted...

Mic

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
well, i've been playing games for 14 years, and I recall with great nostalgia, playing my dad's old Commodore 64. Had loads of fun playing that. Then the Mega Drive came out which was really good. Then I found possibly the most underrated console ever.
The PC CD Engine. How many awesome games were on it??? So many.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
And I recall with great nostalgia, playing my dad's old Commodore 64.

I never had a one myself but i remember playing on my mates when i was younger...it was a right laugh but i still prefered the Amiga 600!

Mic

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
LOL I always remember fondly playing a game called Gorf on the Commodore 64. It was a blatent space invaders copy, down to the aliens themselves, but it was cool. The tape loading was pretty bad though I had to admit. But well worth the waiting!
The Pro Evo of the olden times...=)
Can anybody remember the name of that good football game on Commodore 64?

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Ahh this takes me back. I owned most of 'em at one point or another. The Master System RULED! I think Alex Kid was built into it, too! The Mega Drive was awesome too. Sonic the Hedgehog consumed many hours of my day.

I can't decide which I like most though...

Now I'm in the mood for some old school gaming!

*sets up Mega Drive*

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   
For me it's SNES or N64, N64 probably ages it's way ahead due to the late nights playing Goldeneye and WCW/NWO revenge.

I think the N64 was unique in that it was my first real taste of multiplayer gaming, 4 player Goldeneye still ranks up there for me as the best of me gaming experience. Slappers only anyway?

And when I got Zelda on that Christmas morning, that's all I played, I remember when I first turned it on, every scene I saw took me about 10mins to get over how amazing it all looked.

as for the SNES, it has the best RPGS I've ever seen. Earthbound, Secert of Mana, Chrono Trigger etc.

tough call

As for SONY I hope you all know that the PS1 was created by stolen tech from Nintendo?
Nintendo had comissioned Sony into making a CD drive for the Super Nintendo, as an add-on (much like Sega had done for the Mega Drive), however, Sony were so impressed with the technology they had created, they kept it for themselves and later designed the PS1.

I really hope the PS3 is egg on the face for Sony this time, but I'll stop there as I'm getting off topic.

[edit on 11-5-2006 by Chriswok]

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Slappers only! Hooah! Goldeneye was a damn good game.

I agree with you on Zelda. Man, I don't think I've ever been as impressed with a game as I was with Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. That game was simply amazing. I might have to play it again sometime.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
SUPER NINTENDO WAS AND STILL IS TEH PWNZORZ

I grew up with SNES. Absolute best controller design to date. Loved the games too.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I can't actually be bothered to go through the whole thread again but to me it looks like its beetween the Snes and the master system . which were my top two picks also. they are both classics IMO and i agree with the concencess of opinion.

BTW just got a snes emulator and im enjoying donkey kong world , remember when that first came out ? god we were all like wow! look at those graphics! ahh the good old days.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chriswok
As for SONY I hope you all know that the PS1 was created by stolen tech from Nintendo?
Nintendo had comissioned Sony into making a CD drive for the Super Nintendo, as an add-on (much like Sega had done for the Mega Drive), however, Sony were so impressed with the technology they had created, they kept it for themselves and later designed the PS1.

Well the PS1 & 2 were still better than ANY Nintendo system.
The NES & SNES were classics, but id rather play on my Tamagotchi than any of the later Nintendos...There just not in the same league as Sony and never will be!

I really hope the PS3 is egg on the face for Sony this time, but I'll stop there as I'm getting off topic.

No chance...

No offence mate...just my opinion!

Mic

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Snes definetly best classic console... Super Mario World... Legend of Zelda... Street Fighter. It kicked the megadrives ass in both technical specs and games. After that Nintendo's console took a downfall... in comparison with the other consoles out there... N64 (Though Goldeneye and Zelda were Great) didnt compare to PS1 or even the Sega Saturn, i believe it was outclassed by the CD. Thought it had some great games.. Didn't compare to Final Fantasy VII... VIII.... Metal Gear Solid... etc.... And the lack of FMV....

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Found the lead for the Master System...WOW

Now glued to the TV playing Alex Kidd and Castle of Illusion!

Mic

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
BEST GAME SYSTEM CONSOLE EVER! And the winnah is ...

1)SNES -- by Ninendo

2)Genesis --by Sega

3)VCS 2600 --by ATARI

4)XBox --by Microsoft

5)PSX1 --by Sony

The people have spoken. A champion declared. Good day.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by carnival_of_souls2047
BEST GAME SYSTEM CONSOLE EVER! And the winnah is ...

1)SNES -- by Ninendo

2)Genesis --by Sega

3)VCS 2600 --by ATARI

4)XBox --by Microsoft

5)PSX1 --by Sony

The people have spoken. A champion declared. Good day.

Really how did you collate this information?
IMO the nes and master systems were great but the megadrive really brought gaming to the masses (at least here in the UK) So I would have to cast my vote in the Megadrive corner.80's gaming

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I would love to say the Commador 64, but i dont think it was a console.

So i will go with the Mega Drive

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'll show my age.

Colecovision Adam.
It was more of a computer, but didn't take off and was used mainly for entertainment. I think the Apple IIe hit about then.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The regular Nintendo for sure what with its toaster oven design and simplistic buttons. The SNES controller was always too hard on my fingers as I was a big fan of the fighting games I guess sort of like everyone at the time. The Sega Genesis comes in at a close second for me because, once again, on account of the slick controller and not to mention the serious game titles.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join