It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Recoil!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
"Ouch, but accurate"

I don't care how accurate it is, it's not worth the recoil. Like the .50 Barret M82 Sniper Rifle all over again, its just not worth it at all!!!

rtsp://real.gannett.speedera.net/real.gannett/atpco/blackwater/2004/04bw_40mm.rm

*fixed caps lock title*

[edit on 18-7-2005 by dbates]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
You can read more about this weapon here. It looks like you could deliver some serious firepower with this thing. I believe that this weapon is still in proto-type mode, but it should be a handy tool for those who don't mind the kick. You could put a 40mm grenade right in someone's lap with this thing.

A KICKIN' 40MM SYSTEM
Never one to disappoint at Shoot-outs, FNH USA took advantage of this year's gathering to introduce the company's new 40mm High-Impulse Weapon System (HIWS), dubbed the High-Velocity 40 (HV-40). This latest addition to FNH's HIWS line is a direct-fire grenade launcher — forget lobbing rounds downrange with this weapon.

"A helluva kick, but it puts the 40mm right on target!" wrote one. "Excellent accuracy. The HIWS takes the 40mm round — designed for area-suppression fire — and turns it into a precision projectile."

vist link for full article

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Its interesting that this post came up. last night on Myth Busters they tried hitting targets underwater and one of the guns they used was a 50 cal sniper rifle. The round broke up on impacting the water. The kick did not seem too bad at all though

BTW the link is not working

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEAL Trident
"Ouch, but accurate"

I don't care how accurate it is, it's not worth the recoil. Like the .50 Barret M82 Sniper Rifle all over again, its just not worth it at all!!!

rtsp://real.gannett.speedera.net/real.gannett/atpco/blackwater/2004/04bw_40mm.rm

*fixed caps lock title*

hmmm ... I wonder if a recoil dampening device could be retrofited or incorporated into the design (if none present) ... perhaps recoil springs /piston perhaps and an effective shoulder pad? ... I am guessing that the gas pressure is too low for any effect from a muzzlebreak device ...

LCKob

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It was a video, and it worked 4 me. Oh well

www.armedforcesjournal.com...

Just look 4 40mm on the left list of videos, and BTW, it plays on realplayer. Just so.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Trident,

I read the entire black water shoot out article, thanks for that link btw, and honestly it brings up some points that make a system like this something we may need to consider.

First off there was the ballistic glass tests, those guys can now make a 1.75 inch thick pane that will withstand multiple .50 bmg shots at what would be point blank range for normal rifles and is well within suicide range for a sniper (they fired from 10 feet away). Right now america may or may not be the only ones with this kind of manufacturing capability but you can bet ten years from now every military vehicle with glass across the world will probably be sporting the stuff. add into that the fact that another company has developed a method for making transparent panes of aluminum and you will see that upgunning our forces is a must. And yes I will dig through my popular mechanics and find the article for you guys.

Second: We are entering an age where as that article put it "our enemies have discovered body armor too". From the tone of the article I can only assume that in iraq or afghanistan we are starting to run into armored opposition. Right now our standard issue vests are capable of turning a russian 7.62 round to the trauma plate or even NATO 7.62. This puts us in the position of either teaching our soldiers to aim for the head and extremities or drastically upgunning them, as the current 5.56 has trouble killing unarmored opposition.

All in all these two factors make a large caliber launcher such as this something we may want to look into for our troops. As a 40mm size weapon is more than adequate for specialized payloads maybe even a super scaled down HEAT sabot round for anti vehicle purposes. However in principle I agree that this weapon as is probably is not a good idea, because bruising recoil like that can make a soldier hesitant to shoot when he should. The battlefield of the 21st century sure is shaping up to be an interesting place though with the advent of truly effective body and light vehicle armor. We are starting to see many of last centuries trend reverse themselves, with the continued dissatisfaction with the m9 beretta and talk of issuing a new .45 as a sidearm. I predict you will see much more specialized munitions in the hands of first world troops to overcome the new protective technologies.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Chartered Industries of Singapore already make a SLAP (Saboted Light Armour Piercing) round for their proprietary .50in HMG. It'll go through armour that ball rounds bounce off. Once inside the vehicle, or armoured building, it's lost too much energy to pierce the next armoured wall and spalls inside the vehicle/building.

In a similar vein, MSgt Paul Howe complains in Blackhawk Down about how his green-spot light armour piercing 5.56mm rounds were going straight through Somali fighters and leaving them with a 5.56mm hole through their bodies, a little superficial bleeding and the ability to keep on fighting.

Most western soldiers were perfctly happy to put their SLRs and M14s down and pick up Steyrs and M16s, this thing is going to be the friend of the mortar team and not too many others, I suspect.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
couldn't that thing fire a rp grenade.if so that would be extremly effective at medium range or in large rooms.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Wlel it certainly kicks the current grenade launchers. The 203 is much more of a challenge to aim and hit the target, but if this thing does what it says you could put one of those rounds 4 inch square pane of glass. In a grenade launcher no less.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo703558
couldn't that thing fire a rp grenade.if so that would be extremly effective at medium range or in large rooms.

You would be happy firing a RP Grenade in a room? Alrigt mate, you dont like life much do you?

Im just kidding, it just wouldnt be the wisest thing to set one off in a room, even a large one!

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
i was acually refering to like a large warehouse still improving my english sorry

top topics

join