It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Police Are Out in Full Force! Do You Feel Protected or Invaded???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
You are making it up. Cops may be pulling more people over for searches after the attacks, but they are not doing searches on mass levels, especially when it comes to the average citizen.
I just got pulled over yeasterday for running a red light and i got a ticket but the cop did not ask to search my car (Phila.).
Why would he? I did not give him an attitude and i was not in a bad part of the city. Cops are not searching the avearge cictizen's car on mass amounts.
If you are not giving a cop attitude and you are not in a bad part of town and you do not look drunk or wasted, you more then likely will not get your car searched plain and simple.
Stop making stuff up. If there are mass amounts of car searches going on with the "average citizen", then by all means please show us where the reports of this is going on.
i am not talking about there being an increase since the attacks, i am talking about averag cictizens with no attitude and nothing to hide having their cars searched in mass quantities (not isolated cases).
It's is not happening. In the majority of cases if a cop wants to search your car, it's because he has a suspition because you have an attitude or you are in a bad part of town, etc.
I garuntee you that i could get pulled over for speeding or running a red light 10 times this week and as long as it was 10 different cops that never saw me before , they would simply give me a ticket and not search my car (as long as DMV does not show that i got 10 tickets when they do their check on my license).

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I just wanted to report that it has been reported that for Labor Day weekend the cops will be out in full force in New Jersey in order to ticket people for not wearing their seatbelt.

Is this really neccessary? Do you realize that this is how they are spending YOUR TAX dollars. Imagine all of the over time that they are giving the cops for this project...to ticket you, for you not wearing your safety belt.

As an American I feel that I am being ripped off. My tax dollars are going to pay for over-time to cops... when they could be out looking for terrorists.

Why I think the seat-belt law is a piece of crap... is because since when, does the government think for one second that they can tell me what to do. When did government become about Ruling the People, when its supposed to be Serving the People. If I want to take my life into my own hand by not putting on a seatbelt when i drive around the corner to get the milk, then that is my call! When the government trys to force me to do something i don't want to do, I feel like the Government feels they own me. THEY DON'T OWN ME!

I am NOT their Slave!

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
dgtempe makes a good point,
Yes Catherder in the US the writing of traffic tickets is a significant source of revenue for almost all municipalities [not sure about state patrols].

I grew up with the little 'Dick and Jane' books, where the cop was always a good and kind, protective guy.

The truth is generally speaking cops tend to be a little high strung. They get adrenaline pumped, and like it. That is part of the reason they choose to be cops. Its a mixed blessing.
To be willing to deal with some of the most ignorant and aggressive people out there you have to get kind of pumped.

Personally Cops make me wary.
More cops = more wary.

Partly that is because if the cops are around most likely something bad is going on. It is a logical association thing, but i have to be careful not to lay it off on the cops themselves.

It is also because it is easy to make small infractions [there are an awfully lot of laws out there] that a cop may call you on [pull you over].

Only rarely have i had bad dealings with the police, but occasionally you have one pull you over who is obviously angry (at you). The best way to behave is calmly and cooperatively.

If cops choose to give anyone or everyone a hard time it is very easy to do. They are armed. People tend to believe a cop's account over the average citizen's.

I must say i have been stopped by some wonderful cops too.
Once i didn't have my current tags on my license plate and after i pulled the new ones out of the glove box he even walked behind the truck and put them on for me. (Love at first stop)

Also if you have too many cops I think it tends to lead to corruption. Idle hands and Idle time lead to bad ideas and actions. It is easy after constantly seeing the worst side of humanity to become somewhat cynical.

I don't think the average beat cop is really equiped to deal directly with terrorists, they are better at dealing with unruly people and standard criminals.

Beat cops may be able to point a detective or someone at a possible suspicious resident, area or location, but
Terrorists have to be hunted and weeded out by someone specializing in that particular area. Beat cops have too much other stuff to do than the time consuming effort of identifying and scoping out the delicate web of terrorist connections.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Where2Hide2006
I just wanted to report that it has been reported that for Labor Day weekend the cops will be out in full force in New Jersey in order to ticket people for not wearing their seatbelt.

Is this really neccessary? Do you realize that this is how they are spending YOUR TAX dollars. Imagine all of the over time that they are giving the cops for this project...to ticket you, for you not wearing your safety belt.

As an American I feel that I am being ripped off. My tax dollars are going to pay for over-time to cops... when they could be out looking for terrorists.

Why I think the seat-belt law is a piece of crap... is because since when, does the government think for one second that they can tell me what to do. When did government become about Ruling the People, when its supposed to be Serving the People. If I want to take my life into my own hand by not putting on a seatbelt when i drive around the corner to get the milk, then that is my call! When the government trys to force me to do something i don't want to do, I feel like the Government feels they own me. THEY DON'T OWN ME!

I am NOT their Slave!

You would rather risk your life and the lives of others, just because you think the government is telling you what to do??
Are.....are you serious?

The law (government) says to stop at red lights. Do you obey that law?
The government has rules and regulations regarding nuclear waste. Are you not going to obey those laws?
The bad 'ol government says it's bad to steal, kill, rape, etc. Why are you obeying those?

If you had any sense you would know that many accidents happen during weekends and holidays. Do you honestly believe it cost you (the taxpayer) more for them to prevent deadly accidents than if they were to let the deadly accidents occur?

[edit on 16-8-2005 by ThatsJustWeird]

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

You would rather risk your life and the lives of others, just because you think the government is telling you what to do??
Are.....are you serious?

Are You Serious? Show me how making people wear their seatbelt is saving lives. How does me choosing not to wear my seatbelt put any elses life at risk but my own. So this issue is, should the government make laws that force me to do something that puts my own life at some risk. Does the government own me? I pay a lot of taxes and i don't see one person in washington that agrees with my views. I don't want to feel like a slave anymore. I believe that the government shouldn't make any laws that resrict anyones freedoms. Thats why I recently joined the Libertarian Party. They are the only party that still represents the people. you should read their issues. www.njlp.com

I was suprised to find out that i was a libertarian too!

The law (government) says to stop at red lights. Do you obey that law?
:The bad 'ol government says it's bad to steal, kill, rape, etc. Why are you obeying those?

Get Serious for just one second. Yes those laws are good. The seatbelt law is oppressive and agressive use of force and law. When you get pulled over you have to pay a fine and it also will lead to an identification check and could as well end up searching your car.

you do realize that government is not supposed to work like this. its not supposed to RULE, its supposed to SERVE.

I think that this law should be repealed and there are a lot people that agree with me.

They are the only people that I see standing up to defend the American People and our Rights.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   

You're not very intelligent are you?

This has always been your style, if you are trying to make a point you always resort to a personal attack.

Well sorry old buddy, this time you definately didn't make your point.

Your stance in groundless with out facts

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Ever wonder why Police act like they do? Why don't you sit down and watch a single episode of Cops and see what they have to put up with day in and day out. Imagine if you dealt with some of the most ignorant people in the USA day in and day out for say 5 years at your job? You might be cautious on your initial reactions with people. I've found that if you just be courteous they usually drop alot of the attitude and start talking to you like a normal human being. Although there are those few that are a**holes...but what group on earth doesn' t have a select few of those?

And to stay on topic I would say I feel indifferent on how many Cops are out patrolling now. I don't get stopped randomely and they haven't affected my life any different than before the Patriot Act was passed. Although I do agree the ticket and court costs need to be reassesed.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Are You Serious? Show me how making people wear their seatbelt is saving lives. How does me choosing not to wear my seatbelt put any elses life at risk but my own. So this issue is, should the government make laws that force me to do something that puts my own life at some risk. Does the government own me? I pay a lot of taxes and i don't see one person in washington that agrees with my views. I don't want to feel like a slave anymore. I believe that the government shouldn't make any laws that resrict anyones freedoms.

Am I the only one reading this here?

Dude, wearing seatbelts is not government oppression. It's common sense.
Why is it that most people killed in car accidents, don't have a seatbelt on? Is that just some weird coincidence?
And you still haven't answered my question. Do you think it's more expensive to allow deadly accidents or prevent them?

Politics have nothing to do with any of this btw.

The law (government) says to stop at red lights. Do you obey that law? The bad 'ol government says it's bad to steal, kill, rape, etc. Why are you obeying those?

Get Serious for just one second. Yes those laws are good. The seatbelt law is oppressive and agressive use of force and law.
Seatbelt laws are NO different whatsoever. NO difference.

you do realize that government is not supposed to work like this. its not supposed to RULE, its supposed to SERVE.

Police "serve and protect". Even if it means protecting you from yourself.

I think that this law should be repealed and there are a lot people that agree with me.

They are the only people that I see standing up to defend the American People and our Rights.

Wow

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

This has always been your style, if you are trying to make a point you always resort to a personal attack.

Well sorry old buddy, this time you definately didn't make your point.

Your stance in groundless with out facts

Are you kidding?

I provided stats in the lastest post. Now show me facts where seatbelt laws are a restriction of freedoms. Show me how people are safer without seatbelts. Please I beg of you to show me.

Got any proof I "always resort to a personal attack" when trying to make a point? I don't think so. Mainly because there is none.

Look over every single one of your posts. Every one.
You'll see why I said that.
I know this is a conspiricy site and all but......come on......

But out of respect for this site and the mods, I'll edit.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I have a degree in criminal justice.....which I have never used. At the end we had to do 2 weeks in the county jail and 2 weeks on the streets. I was so disgusted, it was nothing better than being a social worker for scum of the scum who hate you. I'm only 5'5" 120 lbs and after the time on the streets I did not feel safe for myself no matter how much safety and defensive training we did.

It's a tough job. Someone has to do it, but it won't be me.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Thatsjustweird, we have been having this argument for far too long. The difference between us is deep. The problem is you don't care if some one tells you what you have to do, whereas I am a free thinker.

I understand the risk i am taking by not wearing my seatbelt. The risk is to my own life, not anyone elses.

Say you run out of milk and you are up late studying for a big test, and you make a pot of coffee at 4:00 am. You then realise you are out of milk.

So you jump in your car and drive 3 blocks to the local 7-11 to get your milk, on the way back you say "screw-it" what do i need my seatbelt for it 3 blocks.

and thats when you get pulled over. That Pint of milk just cost you $200 more if you go to court and fight it.

This law is oppressive, unneccessary, and unwanted as well as a violation of the 8th Amendment to the Constitution.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Guess what? The same thing is happening in every state, and not just for Labor Day. Happens every holiday.

Yeah, like those Middle Eastern and Pakistani people you want them to keep an eye on, eh?

Personally, I respect your right to complain about having to wear a seatbelt, even though I think someone is taking an unnecessary risk if they don't wear one. But the law is the law, so expect to get the occasional ticket. Obey the law, flaunt it, or work to change it. Your choice. But don't just complain about it.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Cops regardless, are necessary. As with all professions, there are good ones & there are bad ones. I have experienced both. To date I have been pulled over 23 times. Sometimes for a good reason (speeding), sometimes for a stupid reason (I rolled passed a stop sign)... 23 times and only 4 tickets. The 4 tickets were in moments i didnt "try" to talk my way out of it.

Just last month, I was pulled over and not sure why- he wouldn't tell me. He asked me to get out of my car but I would'nt. Here is what I said: Politley I told him "Officer, I apologize but I'm in bit of a bind. I come from a family of lawyers (a lie ) and they have made it quite clear what my rights are and if you are going to pull me over and search my car, you will need a warrant. However, I don't have anything to hide and do not want to cause problems. But my family is constantly bothering me with knowing my rights (lies lies lies)"

He told me to sit there, went back to his car , came back and said "have a nice day".

I still dont know why I was pulled over and I dont know why he let me go just as easily. I have long hair but drive a maxima. Was I profiled? I dont know. But as long as you are polite even if they are not- you have a better chance of getting off. The storys I have about getting out of tickets are hilarious... one even involves having a Mason sticker in my car (that i made)... oh the things they'll do for a breathren! (Im not a mason)

Peace

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Byrd the problem is that I now see more bad cops than good cops were I live. Its like they are encouraged to be the way they are, either in their training or by their supervisors.

Another big problem is that as these soldiers come back from IRAQ a lot are becomming Police here.

These soldiers were not trained to Value life... they were trained to kill life.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
As I pointed out in a BTS thread, random searches are unconstitutional...and I think that would cover those DUI checkpoints and pulling over someone at random.

The Fourth Amendment states: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Pulling you over for speeding is one thing, because they saw you break the law. I saw a cop go after someone who ran a red light--my husband and I were stopped on High Street, ready to make a right to go south on Main Street on green. A cop was in the left-turn lane next to us. Our light turned green, and some joker going north on Main ran a red light--so the cop went after him. Now that's acceptable--they saw you breaking the law.

But random searches are not OK. Bush declares "the terrorists" hate our freedoms, yet what's being done to remedy that? Take away our freedoms!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join