It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abhay IFV from India

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   

First prototype of futuristic infantry combat vehicle (ICV)- Abhay,
as a technology demonstrator, has been realised with indigenous automotive
systems including state-of-the- art hydro-pneumatic suspension system. Indigenously developed composite, titanium and high hardened armour steel have been used for desired protection levels. The turret incorporates a mix of weapon systems backed up by indigenous fire control and gun control systems
to destroy potential targets. [source is MOD report 2005]

The Abhay will have a FLAME launcher to launch Milan/ Konkurs Missiles, a 40 MM L70 derived cannon[Indgeinus], integrated with a thermal sight and integrated fire control system. Plus a General Purpose Machine Gun.
Decent enough firepower for its role!

Best IFV than the BMP's very few information avillable. That's what i got

Mod Edit: Title Only, per author request.

[edit on 6-7-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:14 AM
link   
yes mirza india is working on a modern IFV named ABHAY (fearless in sanskrit)similar in size and style to the crop of NATO IFVs seen lately. it may enter first phase of trials late this year. not much details known except 30mm cannon , 4 Nag ATGMs and same kanchan armour as arjun.

a model

picture credit to Kanwa

[edit on 4-7-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy

except 30mm cannon ,

[edit on 4-7-2005 by Stealth Spy]

In my search i think it has the 40 mm gun?

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mirza2003

In my search i think it has the 40 mm gun?

Hopefully its a 40 mm one.

The best part is the Kanchan armour though.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   
looks poorly protected.. needs some ERA or better armour than the indian thing

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
lets compare the other ones.

chinese Next Generation Infantry Fighting Vehicle Programme

uses a modified BMP-3 turrnet. packs a 100mm gun(like on some older MBT) fires gun-luanched anti-tank missiles.

From the photo it can be seen that the next-generation Chinese IFV features a turret similar to those on the modified BMP-3. The main armament includes an auto-loaded 2A70 (or its Chinese copy) 100mm rifled main gun that fires HE-FRAG round as well as the 5.5km range 3UBK10 Arkan gun-fired laser-guided anti-tank missile. China has revealed its indigenous 100mm gun-fired missile, which might be based on the 3UBK10 design. The missile is believed to be capable of engaging tanks with explosive reactive armour (ERA) as well as slow, low-flying helicopters. Range is 100 to 4,000m. Hit probability is given as at least 0.8 with armour penetration of 600mm. Ammunition load is 8 rounds on BMP-3.

Along side the main gun is a co-axial 30mm cannon firing AP (Armour-Piercing) and HE-FRAG rounds. Rate of fire is more than 300 rounds/min and range is 1,500 to 2,000m. The cannon is better for dealing lighter vehicles and other soft targets. The gunner’s aiming system is capable of automatic target tracking in all-weather, day/night conditions.

The new IFV differs the BMP-3 in that it has a taller hull with greater internal space, which allows infantries in the troop compartment to carry more heavy equipment into battle. The new IFV is also possibly amphibious like all other PLA armoured vehicles. With its strong anti-armour firepower, the new IFV can take out any armoured vehicles in the world, and even make a serious threat to some older MBTs such as the M-60 and T-62. However, the use of the BMP-3 turret may significantly increase the unit cost of the vehicle, and also reduce the internal space for troops and equipment. As a result, the PLA may develop a series of modelsto include some less armed variants for troop transportation, command and control, surveillance, and medical evacuation.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
BMP-3 TRACKED INFANTRY COMBAT VEHICLE, RUSSIA
www.army-technology.com...

The BMP-3 infantry combat vehicle entered production in the late 1980s. It is in service with the Russia Army and over 600 have been exported to a number of countries, including United Arab Emirates (390 vehicles), Cyprus, Kuwait (110) and South Korea. Kurganmashzavod of Kurgan, Russian Federation manufactures the chassis and the Instrument Design Bureau (KBP) of Tula is responsible for the turret. It is a tracked, armoured, amphibious vehicle designed to engage armoured ground and air targets while stationary, on the move and afloat. South Korea agreed to purchase a further 30 BMP-3 vehicles in August 2002.

A command version, the BMP-3K, is available, which is the same as the basic BMP-3, but with additional communications and navigation equipment. A version designed for more sustained amphibious operation is the BMP-3F. Changes in construction allow movement afloat in Sea State 3 and firing with necessary accuracy in Sea State 2. The BMP-3F can endure continuous amphibious operation for seven hours. A reconnaissance version, the BRM-3K, is in service with the Russian Army.

The upgraded BMP-3 driver's station.

The BMP-3 infantry combat vehicle has been in service with Russia and been exported to a number of countries.

links and pictures thanks to www.army-technology.com...

BMP-3 with ERA
external image

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite

did not you read that Abhay is protected by KANCHAN armor devlope for the Arjun.

i think it should have lighter version of the Kanchan for reduce weight.

if look could answer the product capabiltes than I am the sam AND your my p*t

indian army is more believe in utility than the look.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

The main armament includes an auto-loaded 2A70 (or its Chinese copy)

I wont poke fun at that although i wnat to.

needs some ERA or better armour than the indian thing

Fitting ERA is not a problem.
And why do you suppose the IFV must get a non-indian armour.
because the Kanchan armour is a very effective one.

The picture that is posted by mirza is not a latest one but an old one of a testing prototype. So in my openion judging it by the way it looks may not be very wise. I suppose that these prototypes are not fitted with ERA or any armour on purpose.

BTW : Those finished Chinese & Russian IFV's look great. Hopefully the finished Abhay will look something like that.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   

The picture that is posted by mirza is not a latest one but an old one of a testing prototype. So in my openion judging it by the way it looks may not be very wise. I suppose that these prototypes are not fitted with ERA or any armour on purpose.

i cut this pic from pdf file of MOD-2005s but i also accpted your point that final model may be diffrent.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Looks like the manned combat vehicle, of the FCS family of vehicles.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   

did not you read that Abhay is protected by KANCHAN armor devlope for the Arjun.

i think it should have lighter version of the Kanchan for reduce weight.

if look could answer the product capabiltes than I am the sam AND your my p*t

indian army is more believe in utility than the look.

do you know that the arjun has about the same protection as a T-59 with ERA.

with even less KANCHAN armor its going to be a problem. maybe a 12.7mm

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

The main armament includes an auto-loaded 2A70 (or its Chinese copy)

I wont poke fun at that although i wnat to.

i am proud to say that we are using the same gun as the BMP-3(not to sure)

look at it, its 100mm

why develop a new gun when their is already one developed

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   

i am proud to say that we are using the same gun as the BMP-3(not to sure)
look at it, its 100mm

why develop a new gun when their is already one developed

My post was directed at the Chinese copy part. anyway never mind.

do you know that the arjun has about the same protection as a T-59 with ERA.

That statement is as untrue as saying that the Type-98 has the same protection as the chinese copy of the T-59.

with even less KANCHAN armor its going to be a problem

And when did you get your PhD in material sciences ??

And before you start bragging about this chinese IFV, check this out :

Earlier speculation was confirmed that the vehicle is heavily influenced by the Russian BMP-3. The PLA was reported to have acquired a small number of the BMP-3 in 1997 for trial and evaluation. The PLA also purchased the fire control and associated missile laser guidance system technology on the BMP-3 from Russia to be used on its own IFV design.

The only difference is that it has a taller hull with greater internal space, which allows infantries in the troop compartment to carry more heavy equipment into battle.(which is no big difference)

www.sinodefence.com...

Its turret too is ripped off from the BMP-3. And the same is true about its gun. Very soon it might be fitted with a chinese copy of the gun as your article points out.

[edit on 5-7-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   

My post was directed at the Chinese copy part. anyway never mind.

lol. trying to say china copied it again. well look at the thing india put out. looks like a m113

That statement is as untrue as saying that the Type-98 has the same protection as the chinese copy of the T-59.

The T-59 is chinese

here look at protection statictics
members.tripod.com...

And when did you get your PhD in material sciences ??

And before you start bragging about this chinese IFV, check this out :

Earlier speculation was confirmed that the vehicle is heavily influenced by the Russian BMP-3. The PLA was reported to have acquired a small number of the BMP-3 in 1997 for trial and evaluation. The PLA also purchased the fire control and associated missile laser guidance system technology on the BMP-3 from Russia to be used on its own IFV design.

The only difference is that it has a taller hull with greater internal space, which allows infantries in the troop compartment to carry more heavy equipment into battle.(which is no big difference)

www.sinodefence.com...

Its turret too is ripped off from the BMP-3. And the same is true about its gun. Very soon it might be fitted with a chinese copy of the gun as your article points out.

yeah what about the chinese one.

heavily influnced??? its not even based this time???

The chinese IFV has a square turrnet while the BMP-3 has a round one. the only thing it shares in common is that they have a 100mm gun untill proven otherwise

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Please, take a good read of your very own favourtie CHINESE source and then come back and debunk those claims : www.sinodefence.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Please, take a good read of your very own favourtie CHINESE source and then come back and debunk those claims : www.sinodefence.com...

i have already debuked those claims because they are not claims but speculation

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

so what else you are doing here read your own post aove just fiction nothoing

i think you like to read this article

BEIJING: The 12 teenagers and young adults, some in ripped jeans and baggy T-shirts, sit in a circle, chewing gum and fidgeting as they shyly introduce themselves. "I’m 12 years old,"one boy announces with a smile. "I love playing computer games. That’s it.""It’s been good to sleep"says another, a 17-year-old with spiky hair, now that he’s no longer on the computer all day.

The youths are patients at China’s first officially licensed clinic for Internet addiction, a downside of the online frenzy that has accompanied the nation’s breathtaking economic boom.

"All the children here have left school because they are playing games or in chat rooms everyday,"says the clinic’s director, Dr Tao Ran. "They are suffering from depression, nervousness, fear and unwillingness to interact with others, panic and agitation. They also have sleep disorders, the shakes and numbness in their hands."

According to government figures, China has the world’s second-largest online population — 94 million — after the United States.

While China promotes Internet use for business and education, government officials also say Internet cafes are eroding public morality. Authorities regularly shut down Internet cafes — many illegally operated — in crackdowns that also include huge fines for their operators.

State media has also highlighted cases of obsessed Internet gamers, some of whom have flunked out of school, committed suicide or murder. Nonetheless, Internet cafes continue to thrive, with outlets found in even the smallest and poorest of villages. Most are usually packed late into the night.

Dr Kimberly Young, a Bradford, Pa, clinical psychologist whose 1998 book on Internet addiction has been translated into Chinese, says she’s not surprised the Chinese would face problems like this.

Link for that

so your time also come.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Here is the 244 page MoD-2005 report
(another example of India's openness and desire to share information with its citizens)
mod.nic.in...
The Abhay part is on page 108

And mirza, do you happen to live any place in kashmir ?
(if so which part?)

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   

i think you like to read this article

BEIJING: The 12 teenagers and young adults, some in ripped jeans and baggy T-shirts, sit in a circle, chewing gum and fidgeting as they shyly introduce themselves. "I’m 12 years old,"one boy announces with a smile. "I love playing computer games. That’s it.""It’s been good to sleep"says another, a 17-year-old with spiky hair, now that he’s no longer on the computer all day.

The youths are patients at China’s first officially licensed clinic for Internet addiction, a downside of the online frenzy that has accompanied the nation’s breathtaking economic boom.

so your time also come.

I dont see whats the point of this

it just states the fact that china has a problem with internet cafes... or are you saying something about human rights? because i guarantee these people wont be looking up falun gong

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join