It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Watch Deep Impact's Comet Collision Via Live Webcast

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Anyone notice this facet of the story?

www.space.com...

That creeps me out a little, to be honest. Smells like sacrifice...

Wierd huh?

Sole purpose of that was to raise awareness, nothing more. Funding for NASA has dropped significantly ever since Neil Armstrong landed on the moon.

I was wondering if this whole event will be dependent on luck or could it be feasibly possible to strike the comet at the correct time and location for a sizable chunk of it to fall off and come back to earth.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Anyone else having problems securing a live feed from NASA?

Did they delay the time of broadcast for some reason? Or is the relay not functioning?

Anyone else watching now? Anyone else trying to watch now?

Edit: The feed is working for me now. They're showing video of mission control, video of the package launch, talking about making small adjustments based on auto-nav data coming in.

Funny thing is, they have this thing with red shirts and blue shirts..I'm having traumatic flashbacks to election season...

[edit on 3-7-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
yeah it keeps going on and off for me too. Must be a lot of people tuning in!

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Coming close to impact time, I'm watching this feed from the Kitt Peak Visitor Center’s 20in Ritchey-Chretien telescope...

www.noao.edu...

but sometimes it timing out. Keep trying.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I'm watching this live right now and I'm honestly finding it sort of intriguing.

They're showing some really nice photos on NASA live

They showed a pic of the comet no longer being "pickle shaped" but of having some sort of large crater or hill

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Yep, some sort of hill with a shadow, he said it could also be a crator.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
what was that I thought thay were going to show it live, I staied up for that.

link   
ooops,

[edit on 4-7-2005 by slayerfan]

link   
Impact was confirmed, and they got a good shot from the flyby.

Pretty big plume too..it appears that they did a good deal of damage.

High resolution images should keep streaming for another dozen minutes or so, before the dust shields go up.

Way to hit a rock with another rock guys!

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Ahh, I spent 3 hours finding a working screen recorder, so I recorded it before it hit in windows media player and it worked fine, then it lagged too much so I went to the realplayer feed, then filmed it all, and it came out black after all that!!
I recorded the audio at least, but no footage. Can someone send me it if they recorded it? [email protected]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Images that are being shown are really fuzzy. Why are the images in black and white?

I was actually expecting clearer images from the collision. I hope they transmit the images shown onto the main website.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
why did thay keep showing the people and not the coment?

do thay have to screen it first or something?

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Plus the comet is VERY far away from Earth..

Anyhow, here's my take on something I saw afterwards..

The marching of Congressmen!

I'm watching NASA TV right now, and it was almost sick seeing the congressmen get "shuffled" through the room. Shown which hand to shake next.. and then I realized that these 5 or 6 guys actually went out of their way to show up 5 mins after the event to shake hands?

Not to mention the eerie red/blue tshirts ;p

Know your sides! ... I guess

congress

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Impact was confirmed, and they got a good shot from the flyby.

Pretty big plume too..it appears that they did a good deal of damage.

High resolution images should keep streaming for another dozen minutes or so, before the dust shields go up.

Way to hit a rock with another rock guys!

Actually I'm hearing they hit it with something the size of a washing machine. The cameraman seemed to be more interested about the reaction of the group than showing clear images.

[edit on 7-4-2005 by websurfer]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Congratulations NASA!!! Imagine trying to hit an object like this out in space... incredible.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Most of the images coming out at this stage are raw, or medium rare at best...

Give them time to clean up the images and they will be much better.

The impact was much brighter than most people predicted. I thought they would have finished images by now, it's been about a half hour, but I guess they're busy handling the flyby.

Shield mode ending soon, so I guess there are more images forthcoming.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Nice capture Nventual, I was trying the same thing but only got the lower left corner. Incredible image.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
He's just said that there are a lot more images that are stored on the spacecraft that need to be sent back, I imagine they may be better quality. The ones we've seen are the mission critical ones required for manoevering, etc by the sound of it.

It's amazing the size of the impact from the tiny little impacter. I thought for a minute maybe there was some sort of warhead on it! LOL

[edit on 4-7-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
He's just said again there are going to be lots more pictures and they are going to be much better quality.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join