It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Watch Deep Impact's Comet Collision Via Live Webcast

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
For those of you that had planned on pulling out your Star Charts and telescopes tonight wanting to watch Deep Impact hit the Comet Tempel 1, forget it; there is now a better way to view it. Thanks to NASA and other observatories, both large and small, anyone interested can view a live webcast tonight of Deep Impact. If all goes right the impact is expected to take place at 1:52 a.m. EDT (0552 GMT) on July 4th.

new s.yahoo.com
You don't have to be a scientist to grab a front row seat when the NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft bears down on a comet between July 3 and 4.

Live webcasts of the event will be provided by NASA and several observatories, large and small, to offer skywatchers a digital view to the cometary collision.

NASA's Deep Impact mission is slated to crash an 820-pound (371-kilogram) Impactor probe into Comet Tempel 1 and record the event via a Flyby mothership, orbital observatories like the Hubble and Spitzer space telescope, and a myriad of ground-based telescopes from around the world. The impact is expected to take place at 1:52 a.m. EDT (0552 GMT) on July 4.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The source article contains all the links needed to view the webcast and pictures that will be posted by amateurs and professionals alike. I have also included some of the links below for those that would prefer the direct URL.

This brings back memories of when the Eagle landed on the moom. This is way too cool; now we can all watch it live.

No guarantees of any fireworks, however if something goes wrong you will then have plenty of time to run and take cover.

I can also see the headlines tomorrow where the skeptics will be saying it was all staged on a Hollywood movie set.

Related News Links:
www.space.com
www.nasa.gov
astroday.net
black-hole-net.mit.csu.edu.au

[edit on 7/2/2005 by shots]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
THat's great! Thanks for the info Shots, looking forward to this one.. Isn't it tomorrow night though?? Don't want to miss it!

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Thanks for the info Shots

Now I can have a front row seat at the big show!

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
THat's great! Thanks for the info Shots, looking forward to this one.. Isn't it tomorrow night though?? Don't want to miss it!

The time posted on the website is 1:52 a.m.EDT July 4th that would be tonite or early morning on the 4th

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
BUt it's the 2nd today isn't it? won't tonight be going into the 3rd?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
BUt it's the 2nd today isn't it? won't tonight be going into the 3rd?

OOOPs my bad my mistake you are right it is tomorrow night, got my days mixed up. Actually that is good you caught that, now more people will have time to read about it.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
For those of you that had planned on pulling out your Star Charts and telescopes tomorrow night wanting to watch Deep Impact hit the Comet Tempel 1, forget it; there is now a better way to view it. Thanks to NASA and other observatories, both large and small, anyone interested can view a live webcast tomorrow of Deep Impact. If all goes right the impact is expected to take place at 1:52 a.m. EDT (0552 GMT) on July 4th.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Im panicking, can someone post he exact time/date/whatever that is relevant for us folks in Blighty!!!! Please..................

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I still remember some russian sue NASA because of the comet lol... i guess it didn't work lol

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Good post Shots. I'm always happy to see astronomical items on ATS, particularly one like this, because now more people can watch the event and mayby some of them will get intrested in astronomy.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
Good post Shots. I'm always happy to see astronomical items on ATS, particularly one like this, because now more people can watch the event and mayby some of them will get intrested in astronomy.

I agree.

I am willing to bet Mondays conspirators will be saying it is all a hoax no doubt.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I hope they have the bandwith to handle the traffic,
so their servers don't crash.

This could be very cool.

The European Space Agency had snippets as Beagle progressed that you could download, but it wasn't quite live.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Hmmmm.... you want to blow up an asteroid so you can look inside it. Sounds like the perfect cover up.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by iksmodnad
Hmmmm.... you want to blow up an asteroid so you can look inside it. Sounds like the perfect cover up.

I believe it's a comet, not an asteriod.

A perfect coverup for what?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Oh right my bad...

Did you see the movie Armageddon? Remember how they said if there was an asteroid or object coming toward earth they would have to keep it secrete until the last minute or people would riot and go crazy. So if you wanted to cover it up just say your doing it for scientific research.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Actually this comet is so far away that it would take a long time before any of it got here. You can't see it with the naked eye, and can barely see it with smaller telescopes from what I've heard. They were saying on the news last night that this is the perfect mission for us to learn what comets are made of so that we can learn how to stop them when they ARE coming towards earth.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
28 hours, 20 minutes from now, should be show time. I think that's right.

Don't know if this helps anyone, but they also have a count-down if you navigate a few pages through the link that started this thread.

Happy watching!

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
So what happens to this 820-pound (371-kilogram) probe should it miss its target? Does it come tumbling unto earthlings?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
It crashes down on the Aliens somewhere, pisses them off and makes them come invade Earth, blowing us all back to the stone age.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Yep, I'm also curious as to what happens if this whole thing goes wrong. I know it's not that close to earth but it still reminds me of that Simpsons episode and they're all watching the missle hit the comet and then it misses and hits Moes Tavern.
Anyways, I'm in Melbourne, Australia. Can someone tell me what time it will happen for me? Where's the countdown link, I can't find it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join