It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Live 8, The Greatest Show On Earth, Begins !

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
You know, this concert is a joke.

That is all I am going to say.. and dude when results come in let me see them.. I can bet there will be nothing resulted in this..

I will give it a year. I bet the next time someone mentions Africa it will be this same # over again..

Like I said about that We are The World song.. All them artists got together.. not to mention the metal people did the same thing.. from what Dee Snyder stated that raised over 4 or 5 million bucks on that, and isn't has fixed anything.

SO when the results pour in that this was a total waste of time, money, effort, and me typing what we already know.. I will be there to say...

I told you so.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Its not tearing something down if history has already shown such events to bear no tangable fruits. As pointed out earlier previous such gathersings did precisely nothing to help the various groups. In essence I think these events are put on just so that those who contribute or attend can feel a little bit better about themselves when they go to bed at night, not to change the world or end hunger.

...put forth for a day or two to act concerned about something, when by friday of next week it will all be gone with no lasting effects. The hippies didnt get it done in the 60s and 70s, so what makes us think in the age of the capitalists that anything can be accomplished?

Hehe, wow, so negative. Geeze. At least they're trying. Should they not even bother?

Zip

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I laugh at the cynics...
......!!

Do you feel you're too small to make a difference?
Is that what it is?
Might this be the reason you side with capitalists?
Are you frightened the world might, one day, actually change?

Not to worry, if you maintain your stance i'm sure you we will prove that you didn't make a difference...and you can tell us all...."I told you so".

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I prefer to think of it as realistic. These types of concerts have been going on for ages, and still havent seen any sweeping changes they claimed to be able to make with the help of the people. Its not trying if they are just going through the motions so they can feel better about themselves for a few days after the concert. If you want to help africa fine, go there and bust your own arse to make a real and immediate change, but going to some concert to "put pressure on the G8" is not going to get any change done. Better yet why bother to help out other nations when we have enough problems (US at the moment) to go around. There are plenty below the poverty line (which isint that high) right here, who go to bed hungry quite frequently. Weve got discrimination, persecution, violence, drug abuse, murder, rape, and rampant political corruption here, so why not fix that before we start trying to fix everyone elses problems? Once we got our own ducks sorted out then I'd be all for fixing the world, but you know what, working on their problems while our own people suffer is an insult.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Wow, how many times have we heard that argument, more times than these concerts have taken place.

This is about global equality, thats global, you know outside the confines of your comfort zone.

Where poverty causes one death every 3 seconds, deaths that can be treated and prevented.

Thats death by poverty, not your next door neighbour's gun.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
The hippies didnt get it done in the 60s and 70s, so what makes us think in the age of the capitalists that anything can be accomplished?

Wrong, the hippies wanted the vietnam war to end. Look what that movement accomplished? The US withdrew from vietnam due to loss of support at home from its citizens. If everyone stands up maybe we can change things for the better for all of us. I'm willing to give it a shot. I never acomplished anything by not trying.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Obviously the argument hasnt been heard enough if things like this are still going on under the guise of helping the world. In the interest of preserving the percieved ATS happy-world-feeling I'll drop this thread with one last comment: How can you help someone else if you cant help yourself?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
I have one thing to say to the cynics

You're either with us or against us.

MAKE POVERTY HISTORY

[edit on 2-7-2005 by Koka]

You have voted Koka for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

MAKE POVERTY HISTORY

I second that.

For those that watch this site, please help these people. Wether it be signing the petition or protesting ALL you people have the power. And those who just keep saying its Just a concert hows about this.....

1...2...3...DEAD. 1...2...3...DEAD. 1...2...3...DEAD. 1...2...3...DEAD.

Thats how people die when they don't have the drugs and food we have.

Now if this happened in ANY wealthy nation, your telling me that NOTHING would be done and no one would be outraged.

Yeah right.

Remember every 3 seconds.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Good Charolette?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Greatest show is subjective

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Good Charolette?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Greatest show is subjective

Hey!

Im a fan of Good Charlotte

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Will this show end poverty in Africa? I doubt it. Will it help at all? Sure, I'd like to hope if relieving debt helps a thousand people in Africa... strike that, even one person that it's worth it.

That said, real change will have to come from within. Starvation, Aids, we can't force Africans to abstain from sex, wear condems, etc. no matter how many concerts we have. We can provide education, condems, but the people will only use them when it comes from them wanting to change.

When I see the "starving African with flies buzzing around" picture along with compassion for the unfortunate individual, I feel confusion. Why would this child's mother bring someone into a place where they can't even take care of themself? I realize there isn't much else to do, but this is where change has to start. Out of this comes STD's such as AIDS and another mouth to feed when there isn't enough to go around to begin with.

Now comes the lack of resources to feed and and care for them. How can these resources reach the people in need with warlords and corrupt factions ruling over the people in need, keeping these things for themselves?

These are just some questions that come to mind when I think of the situation in Africa. Having a clear idea of the problems is a good place to start. I don't know the answers or how to fix the problems, but you have to start somewhere. I won't put the concert down for trying. Hopefully it helps.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiabolusFireDragon
Why would this child's mother bring someone into a place where they can't even take care of themself? I realize there isn't much else to do, but this is where change has to start. Out of this comes STD's such as AIDS and another mouth to feed when there isn't enough to go around to begin with.

It's called survival, basic instinct, the order of nature.

Do you tell those around you not to have children?

You have to remember that Africa is just a different continent, not a different planet.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot

Originally posted by spliff4020
And Floyd reuniting is nothing more than a pre-curser to a tour.

Oh lord, If Only... *sighhh*

What better publicity. Remember who the star of "The Wall" was. It probably wasnt that hard. Besides, they all gotta be close to broke now, anyways. Couple of years on the road, and their set.

Two things. No one in Pink Floyd is anywhere near broke, and at any time either Pink Floyd, Dave Gilmour solo, or Roger Waters solo or pretending to be Pink Floyd can jump up and do a tour. Roger Waters wouldn't be performing with Dave Gilmour if it weren't for this aid thingy, and that's a damn fact.

Zip

Nope Nope Nope....While they could all tour solo, it wouldnt be the "Pink Floyd Reunion". Vince Neil tours without Motley Crue. He plays at county fairs. Re-unite with the Crue and its front page news. Its been almost 20 years. While they may have made some money in their time, it pales in comparisson to what could be made now.

I'm not saying that they are going to go on a non-stop rock tour, but this will no-doubtedly turn into a few large shows. Followed by a few more. The ticket price being somewhere around 200 bucks a pop. I believe they allready have Madison Square Garden booked now to.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
It's called survival, basic instinct, the order of nature.

Do you tell those around you not to have children?

You have to remember that Africa is just a different continent, not a different planet.

I won't tell anyone what to do.

Personally, if I couldn't provide for a child or myself for that matter, I wouldn't have one... basic instinct or not.

[edit on 7/2/2005 by DiabolusFireDragon]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Nope Nope Nope....While they could all tour solo, it wouldnt be the "Pink Floyd Reunion". Vince Neil tours without Motley Crue. He plays at county fairs. Re-unite with the Crue and its front page news. Its been almost 20 years. While they may have made some money in their time, it pales in comparisson to what could be made now.

I'm not saying that they are going to go on a non-stop rock tour, but this will no-doubtedly turn into a few large shows. Followed by a few more. The ticket price being somewhere around 200 bucks a pop. I believe they allready have Madison Square Garden booked now to.

Don't be ignorant. You can't get much better than "sold out," which is what every Waters and Floyd concert has been since the early nineties.

EDIT: Pink Floyd has made no plans for any follow up performances after this show. If you know otherwise, link it.

Zip]

[edit on 7/2/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
good show... does anyone know where to get a live 8 performance schedule? I gotta see pink floyd, i think it's at the end of the london gig, i donno

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
go to www.live8live.com
sign the petition
what can it hurt you to type your name in a box?
oh and hey if you like you can upload your picture for a art piece
Why not, you all type plenty here!

[edit on 7/2/2005 by Rhiannon1968]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
www.live8live.com...

Make a difference!

Philly has been rocking good

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Woldn't this be an ideal situation for a terrorist attack?

mases of people, broadcast live around the world.

Just watching it at present, well worth it. bbc.co.uk and more on the concerts

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Woldn't this be an ideal situation for a terrorist attack?

Thats what i was worried about, philly has about million and half at the live8 concert, i was worried that it could become a target.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join