It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Live 8, The Greatest Show On Earth, Begins !

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey
I want everyone at ATS who has a conscience to do the tiny act of adding your name to the petition at www.live8live.com. The petition will be presented to the G8 at gleneagles this week, millions from around the world have already signed it. If you want to add your weight to put pressure to the leaders to change the world economic system then put your name down.

my name is on it

i was going to make a thread about it to get membres to sign to it

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
DrNice excellent post!!

Some very good posts here by people, not many understand that things like Live8 are some misconceived attempts at reviving moribund hippie culture.
I admire the intent but have to say honestly that the path they have choosen is laughable, even silly!
Firstly all the G8 countries have concerts and then this is supposed to magically bring the entire populace of these countries into some deluded guilt trip and bring them into some indentured philanthropic servitude? Thats crazy!

Are the G8 so pompous as to say that their countries have "zero" poverty? heck, the no. of homeless aka "poor people" is continually increasing here in the US and in many parts of Europe as well. So who is going to hold a " live 8 " for them? If we can't make sure that our populace is free from poverty- which we feel so compassionately about- then handing some African drunk $10 is nothing short of sheer ludacrous!

This might sound typically cynical to most of the neo-hippies but shouldn't we be sorting out our own house before we go sorting others ?
Shouldn't we be making sure that we have an effective solution to prevent poverty in the developed world than go preaching something that we have no idea about?
The question people bragging about Live8 should ask themselves is, How is poverty solved ?
Will you perinial donations suffice? NO. Will cancelling African debt put food on the table for a starving man in africa? No. They should have used the money they borrowed in the first place to feed their starving. Will holding soem vague concert with old foggies playing cause a global bout of sympathy, hell no!
SO HOW DO YOU ELEVIATE POVERTY?
If you can find a feasible solution to this problem only then can you hope to work at it and bring any meaningfull change to Afraica, attending this concert is a FARCE! IF you all feel so strongly, take a month off go to africa and work as a volunteer with USAID or something! Not attending some Farce!!

The way I see Africa is even if we spend billions of our tax dollars in Africa they will probably be still living the same as they are now! No amount of our sympathy will help them change if they dont want to change themselves, that is a fact we all have to realise. Other countries were a couple of decades ago in the same position as Africa is today like China, India, Thailand, Malayasia etc but look at them now, did they develope solely by our financial support, I think we can all agree that that the motivation to develope was inherent in them, in the end their desire to become better overtook their cultural lethargy and have now become the nations they are.
Similarly I feel that Afraicans should want to develope themselves and no amount of charity or handouts are going to bring them to an acceptable level of livelyhood. To begin with Africa needs civilisation, a sort of cultural awakening if you will to drag them out of their tribal ways and bring them forward into the 21st century, for this they need compulsory education.
A lot of African nations have vast reserves of natural resources that they do not exploit to become wealthier, most contain oil which is the most precious commodity at present yet these nations are still reeling in abject poverty!
It is the people who have resigned to their fate and no amount of financial assistence will help them in the long run, they need the balls to stand up and change their destiny not hand out and donations.
Saying that their are no oppurtunities is just an excuse to remian poor, if oil rich arab nartions can have plenty to eat then I'm sure that tropical oil rich african nations should also have plenty to eat!

It is the Sad pictures and sights of misery that African nations use to exploit our sensitivities and make us victims of guilt! If those people are too lazy to help themselves then no amount of our condecension will is going to be enough! Even if we hand them Europe they will still reamain as they are, Afraica needs a social revolution to first form some semblence of civilisation before they can have an economic revolution, its not that they are incapable but they dont know how, or why to start a social revoltuion. I think this is how we should giude them, inculcate a sense of pride, a desire to evolve, a drive to succede after which I see no reason why they cannot take a place alongside the developed world in the future. Afterall we in the USA started out almost like Africa albeit with civilisation but still in dire poverty, through perseverence and dedicated hardwork we are what we are today.
My thoughts may seem crass but nevertheless I feel that so things should be for Africa and that this concert will just be another futile attempt at solving the "African Problem"

[edit on 2-7-2005 by IAF101]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Heres something else to chew on. Why Africa? Last time I checked most nations there are ruled by warlords that like to drag dead Americans around in their streets.

We've given them millions upon millions in aid over the years and its squandered every time. No relief gets to the people and if we go there to try and make that happen, they start shooting at us (in between the raping babies to cure themselves of AIDS).

Remember that this is a show to promote "awareness" of the debt. The concert is to make money. But whos getting paid? Even if the debts are forgiven, they are forgiven debts of warlords who care nothing for the people.

You people talk about the "sheep". Well, this is one helluva flock at the show tonight.

"Sign the petition!" Why. You think Bush is going to get handed this massive petition and suddenly be overcome with guilt and sign a lackage right there?

Heres what will happen. Theyll present it, everyone will smile nice for the cameras, snap some photos, then go home. In a few weeks/months everyone will forget about and life carries on. And Africa will still be screwed.

Hell, I'm in debt with no way out. Someone throw me a concert and donate the proceeds to me. Ill even give ya an itemized list of where it went. Probably wont happen. Hell, what about America? We are waaaay in debt. Maybe all the world will "forgive" our debt to? Probably not.

Honestly. Their is alot of awesome land and animals there. It would be better run by a different country (namely, ours). The current leaders there have screwed it up beyond recognition. Debt relief isnt what is needed. A take over is.

[edit on 2-7-2005 by spliff4020]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101
It is the Sad pictures and sights of misery that African nations use to exploit our sensitivities and make us victims of guilt!

Whoa.......good post, but don't go assuming I feel guilty about anything......at the same time, we can't call ourselves a civilized nation if we don't take a stand and do what we can to provide the foundation for a better standard of living for all of humanity.....

And that is what needs to happen.......you're right about the compulsory education....so what do you think is going to make that possible? This event, as hippish as you have asserted it to be, is something that will help to establish not only global awareness but also get rollin' the funds necassary for an operation of this magnitude. Let's not forget that alot of work has to be done.......environmental clean-up, education, establishment of structure, both for living and business....

And it's going to be a crazy task. The mental outlook of a population that has known nothing but poverty is not gung-ho to begin with. It's going to take time and it's going to take alot of effort to get them to a capacity where they can help themselves........poverty isn't just the physical surroundings, it's the psychological attitude that has developed as a result of it.

You have to start somewhere.........why not a cheesy world-wide concert?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
There are those that want to do nothing but tear things down. It is do bad we can not eliminate those of weak minds.

London - Group of Eight (G8) finance ministers agreed on a deal for immediate 100 percent multilateral debt relief totalling $40-billion for 18 of the world's poorest countries, British Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown announced on Saturday.
Article

The idea behind the concert has pretty much done what they started out to do. Ye of little faith never accomplish anything great you just follow people after they are proven winners.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
There are those that want to do nothing but tear things down. It is do bad we can not eliminate those of weak minds.

London - Group of Eight (G8) finance ministers agreed on a deal for immediate 100 percent multilateral debt relief totalling $40-billion for 18 of the world's poorest countries, British Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown announced on Saturday.
Article

The idea behind the concert has pretty much done what they started out to do. Ye of little faith never accomplish anything great you just follow people after they are proven winners.

Ok...show me Africa, let's say, next year. Think it will prosperous and thriving? or will there still be millions of people starving with flies taking up residence on their faces still?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
spliff4020, do you suggest to try nothing? Do you say here is a tough problem, lets not try to do anything about it? Do you say %%ck it!!!!! It does not affect me so why should I care? I just want to tear down someone else who is trying to make a difference? I wonder what the naysayers said after we landed on the moon?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Since I live in America I will state this from an Americans point of view.

I wonder why they do these concerts???

Why, when there is people in the US that are starving. Men, women, and children alike are starving just as bad as these people. I am not sure about the statistics on how many persay comared to more wealthy people but I do know its alot of people.

Anyway I think this place is like it is because they people who are born there have choose to be born there, they have to pay off some type of karma that they didnt get to in thier past/future lives. In that I dont think this money will do much for these places.

On a more normal note. I think these peoples are more currupt than the US gvmnt so I dont think this concert will do much to change anything. And they will probably do another 9/11 type of thing where only a percentage of the money or whatever goes toward the actualy cost and the rest goes to god knows where.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I hate to say it guys, and I am all for helping people but could some please show me exactly how these concerts are going to help Joe Smith in some African town?

Not trying to be negitive, but it seems to me everyone is just taking this as gospel that this time it is going to actually do something. I am all for helping them, but as it stands now the simple facts seem to be that even if the world went in there and fixed it all up, in another few years it will be back to the strong survive and oppresing others. Until the population changes, the government isn't regardless how much cash you sink into it.

I don't know of an answer to poverty, other than getting rid of money altogether but singing songs and trying to use shame into helping those who opress others.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
And one more thing.. In a few more months they will; want us all to go out and sing a rousing course of a new techno version of We Are The Word.

I dont agree with this I really dont.. sorry..

There is alot more you can do in your own country before trying to fix something else that is broke.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
And Floyd reuniting is nothing more than a pre-curser to a tour.

Oh lord, If Only... *sighhh*

Originally posted by spliff4020
What better publicity. Remember who the star of "The Wall" was. It probably wasnt that hard. Besides, they all gotta be close to broke now, anyways. Couple of years on the road, and their set.

Two things. No one in Pink Floyd is anywhere near broke, and at any time either Pink Floyd, Dave Gilmour solo, or Roger Waters solo or pretending to be Pink Floyd can jump up and do a tour. Roger Waters wouldn't be performing with Dave Gilmour if it weren't for this aid thingy, and that's a damn fact.

Zip

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Anyway I think this place is like it is because they people who are born there have choose to be born there, they have to pay off some type of karma that they didnt get to in thier past/future lives. In that I dont think this money will do much for these places.

I think this is the most ludicrous statement that I have ever read.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
How do you think its "ludicrous" I believe in one thing. you believe in another.. I believe in reincarnation.. so I put religion on this...

Better than beliveing in a puppet that you can never see..

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
So what you are saying is that since they were put there because they were bad in a previous life that they should not be helped?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Passer By
I hate to say it guys, and I am all for helping people but could some please show me exactly how these concerts are going to help Joe Smith in some African town?

These concerts are purely a method of focusing the medias and the populations around the western world on the issue of africa. The concerts do nothing inthemselves, but what they do do is put pressure on the 8 leaders meeting next friday. These leaders can help africa depending on what descions are made at that meeting. Now you can either support that effort by adding your name to the petition here, or you can do nothing. Entirely up to you, just explaining why these concerts are happening.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I was giving an opinion, If you want to help them I dont care, I dont see the use.. Its not like anything is going to be done. We will still here this same # 15 20 yrs from now.

I remember when they were all hyped up on helping africa wit that crappy We Are The Wold song. Tell me from then to now what has exactly changed since then..

And yes as I said I believe we should stay out of other peoples problems cause we cant even fix our own. What the hell are we going to do to make things better???

the same thing we are doing in Iraq.. about 2000 Americans dead and god knows how many Iraqi's??

Look this concert is a freaking joke, just like the 9/11 bull#, and just like that walk for hunger crap that they do every year to help people..

Its all a sham to get money for a useless cause. If you want to help someone go down to your local soup kitchen and give them some money, I am sure they can put it to good use.

[edit on 7/2/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I have one thing to say to the cynics

You're either with us or against us.

MAKE POVERTY HISTORY

[edit on 2-7-2005 by Koka]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
Woodstock was one of the precursors and expressions of the change in society and the whole peace and love shift in consciousness in some at the time.

You forgot that sex was discovered at Woodstock.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
I was giving an opinion, If you want to help them I dont care, I dont see the use.. Its not like anything is going to be done. We will still here this same # 15 20 yrs from now.

I remember when they were all hyped up on helping africa wit that crappy We Are The Wold song. Tell me from then to now what has exactly changed since then..

And yes as I said I believe we should stay out of other peoples problems cause we cant even fix our own. What the hell are we going to do to make things better???

the same thing we are doing in Iraq.. about 2000 Americans dead and god knows how many Iraqi's??

Look this concert is a freaking joke, just like the 9/11 bull#, and just like that walk for hunger crap that they do every year to help people..

Its all a sham to get money for a useless cause. If you want to help someone go down to your local soup kitchen and give them some money, I am sure they can put it to good use.

[edit on 7/2/2005 by ThichHeaded]

How do you know this will not make a difference. Maybe it only saves 100,000 people from dieing of starvation would it be worth it?

Hey maybe if you do not help others you will end up in Africa and have people say to you that you deserve to be there so we are not even going to try to help you.

There is a big difference between the poor and hungry in the us and africa. I was homeless for about a month and i was able to get food and help. America has so much and wastes so much that it has an obliagtion to help out those that can't.

Thats my opinion, it your differes that is fine but why do you have to tear something down even before we have any results. This time the main root problem is being attacked. most of africa is being raped by banks and other countries they need help to fight back. Maybe your country is next. Would you want help? If you do not want to help stand clear.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Its not tearing something down if history has already shown such events to bear no tangable fruits. As pointed out earlier previous such gathersings did precisely nothing to help the various groups. In essence I think these events are put on just so that those who contribute or attend can feel a little bit better about themselves when they go to bed at night, not to change the world or end hunger.

I must also voice my oppinion on the title of "Greatest Show on Earth". Its not the greatest, the actual greatest show on earth is the ammount of effort put forth for a day or two to act concerned about something, when by friday of next week it will all be gone with no lasting effects. The hippies didnt get it done in the 60s and 70s, so what makes us think in the age of the capitalists that anything can be accomplished?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join