It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Dems Say Rove Should Apologize or Resign Over Liberal Slur

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Democrats have demanded White House adviser, Karl Rove, apologize over his comments regarding liberals behaviour after 9/11. He said "liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers." Conservatives, he said "saw the savagery of 9/11 and the attacks and prepared for war."

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - White House adviser Karl Rove should either apologize or resign for saying liberals responded to the Sept. 11 terrorist strikes by wanting to "prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers," Democrats said Thursday.

Adding to the rancor, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., suggested that Republican charges that Democrats were undermining the war on terror with their criticism of administration policies amounted to an act of desperation.

"The president wanted to go to Iraq in the worst possible way and he did," Pelosi said. "The president is on the ropes."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In a time when the President is calling for unity and the dropping of partisan politics these comments are disturbing. When a top political adviser to the President is debauching himself in clear partisan rhetoric you have to ask yourself "whats going on here?"

Is partisan rhetoric like this "ok" when its a Republican doing the bashing and stonewalling and obstructionist when a Democrat does it?

What is it?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Oh so Republicans in political advocacy positions have to resign when they make political comments while Democrats in leadership positions in the U.S. Senate can get away scott free when comparing our troops to those of Stalin, Pol Pot and Hitler?

Yeah, really fair and balanced there... :shk:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
No but they are forced to apologize:

Seven House Republicans also wrote Pelosi saying they were shocked by a statement in which she said the war in Afghanistan was over. "Messages like yours could demoralize our troops and undermine our efforts to fight terrorism in Afghanistan and around the world," they wrote.

Pelosi, who made the comment at a news conference where Democrats called for an investigation into detainee abuses at Guantanamo Bay, said Thursday that she was referring to the campaign to drive the Taliban from power in 2001. Fighting continues, she said, because the administration decided to divert its attention from Afghanistan to the war in Iraq.

Also in a case where the actual deed is the problem, fighting fire with fire sees the whole world burn.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Democrats in the senate on CSPAN2 right now, calling Rove out...saying the people not democrats demand an apology for exploiting 911 once again for further dividing our country, republicans vs. democrats.

[edit on 6/23/2005 by Lecky]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This is not true right?.......This has got to be some sort of hoax.... i cannot believe there would be liberals out there that wanted to "prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers," right after 9/11, or at any time.... That's got to be a joke or a hoax...there can't be people that.......naive out there..... Well, i know there are but...this is just a bit too much....

[edit on 23-6-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Wait a second. Why should he apologize? It is true. The first thing some of my more liberal friends asked was "what did we do to deserve this and how can we make it ok". I am positive I even read such comments echoed by more high profile liberals.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   

[snip]
prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers," right after 9/11...

Mauddib.....you know better than that.......it's an exaggeration akin to some of the wonderfully insightful phrases that we get from Ann Coulter.......you know, the stuff that fuels the fire of meaningless debate on who's dad can beat up who's dad?

And that is what needs to be eliminated from the political system......infantile comments, from both sides, that only encourage bickering.......I couldn't believe the attention given to Cheney's comment on someone's mother!!

Childish crap that has no place in the formation of societal policy

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I don't think it is that much of an exageration Memoryshock. As i recall some members in the forums have had sentiments very close to what Rove said, and as you can see another member just mentioned some of his more liberal friends also had such sentiments.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
So hearsay with intent to politically divide Americans over the 9/11 tragedy whilst proclaiming to be trying to overcome devisive partisan politics is ok?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Hearsay?....so now the opinion of most liberals, and probably your own is just hearsay?...

BTW, you want to hide the truth now about what many liberals wanted to do right after 9/11?..... i thought you were in favor of always telling the truth nomatter the consequences....

America is already divided, as is most of the world. The statement of Rove shows what is in the minds of many liberals; is it a lie?

What are lies are the comments that the mostly liberal media has kept posting in their papers, about US and coalition forces being nazis, and the US having prisons like Gulags similar to the old U.S.S.R.... Those are the lies, and those are doing a lot more damage....yet you are one of the people that want to continue giving that sort of message to the world.

Now you claim that somebody else wants to devide Americans because his statement is true?....

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Republicans fight terror by bombing sovereign nations that had nothing to do with 911 in the first place. They don't think, they don't ask questions they just want to bomb the hell out of any nation that could maybe possibly be a threat in the future. They declare war and don't make plans, hell they don't care much about equipping their own troops. They also approve of torture.

How would you like it if a democrat went on national TV and said that? Does this ring true for republicans? No, at least I hope not.

Karl Rove's intention was to bash democrats per usual, and I'm glad the democrats are calling him out. There are democrats and republicans fighting in this war, I doubt the democratic soldiers are sitting down with the enemy conducting therapy sessions. I'm a liberal and I don't want to sit down with terrorists and discuss our feelings. Terrorists should be stopped and I want to make sure we are going after the right people.

What I want to know is why and how this can be prevented in the future, "because they hate our freedom" is simply not a good enough reason for most Americans, especially if they have more than 2 functioning brain cells.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with anyone in this country to question our leadership (democrat or republican) on why we are going to war. As we know, leadership is not always right and they made a HUGE mistake by going to war with Iraq.

No WMDs
No ties to 911
1700 Americans dead
100,000 Iraqi's dead

HUGE DEAL!!

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
As a liberal, I am going to say What is wrong with recommending therapy?
Just because I and several others recommended therapy to cope, doesn't mean we weren't also lining up to go after those that did this to us. And at least we weren't telling people "GO! Shop! Travel!"

They attacked us in our own home and yes, we needed to go after the ones that did this. Therapy and preparing for war are not mutually exclusive and what _I_ resent is the implication that they are.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Not really, because it is not true. Saddam and his regime was a threat to the US, evidence not only from the US but from Spain and Russia showed that he was a threat, and was going to carry terrorist attacks in the US.

Saddam was breaking the UN sanctions, he was acquiring banned materials, banned missiles which only carry chemical weapons, banned missiles which exceded the range they were allowed to have, they had tons of documents which deal with the production of wmd and which they were supposed to get rid of. They shot coalition forces in Kuwait with banned scud missiles and other missiles. Military forces from Saddam's regime shot US aircraft that were enforcing the no-fly zone so that Saddam wouldn't gas kurds to the north anymore.

The only thing you were right about is that US forces should have been better equipped with body armor.

BTW, evidence that authorities from Spain found tells us that at least one of the terrorists that planned 9/11 in Spain had been invited by the Iraqi embassy. Saddam was known for funding terrorists, and the Russian intelligence agencies were providing evidence since 9/11 that Saddam was preparing to make terrorist attacks in US soil.

One more thing, the real body count can be found in this link.
www.iraqbodycount.net...

and if you kept up with the news you will find that most of the Iraqi civilians being killed daily are dying by the hands of insurgent attacks and suicide bombings.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I hate to say it but this is the Democrat mindset. Let's look at the most powerful democrat of them all, Mr. Bill Clinton. In 1993 Al-Queda bombed the WTC for the first time killing 6 people and injured more than a thousand. The crater created was six stories deep, yet Clinton did not even visit the bomb site. There was no reaction to the plan to topple one tower and cause it to fall into the other killing tens of thousands of people. Clinton did however, caution the American people against "over-reaction." Clinton did not react he simply shrugged it off like it didn't matter.

The terrorists however saw this as a weakness. Osama Bin Laden himself sums it up best. In 1998 Bin Laden had this to say to ABC Reporter John Miller:

We have seen in the last decade the decline of the American government and the weakness of the American soldier who is ready to wage Cold Wars and unprepared to fight long wars. This was proven in Beirut when the Marines fled after two explosions. It also proves they can run in less than 24 hours, and this was also repeated in Somalia. We are ready for all occasions. We rely on Allah.

link

You see Clinton as any other Democrat is more worried about how the enemy "feels" or the rights of the enemy rather that the preservation of the United States. I feel Rove's comments are right on track.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   

"saw the savagery of 9/11 and the attacks and prepared for war."

Prepared for war all right. Even years before 9/11, Rove and his buddy's were prepare to go to war. Now once we got there, um, they weren't quite so ready for that. In 1993 when the WTC was bombed, we caught the bombers and threw them in jail. Rove goes to war, "prepared" and Bin Laden is still walking around.

Next time Rove, why don't you prepare to win? Prepare a plan for what the heck you and Cheney are going to do after the war? (Besides get rich)

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Republicans are never wrong...ever. If it looks like a republican is wrong, blame liberals, if that fails, blame Clinton. Blame democrats for everything that goes wrong on this planet.

Oh no WMDs? No ties to 911? Quick! Find another reason to support a war. Blame liberals for being too soft, for there is nothing wrong with fighting terrorists involved with 911 by bombing nations who have nothing to do with 911. It makes so much sense!

Torture going down in a prison camp? Let's just shoot the messenger, he just so happens to be a democrat anyway. Let's twist his statements around and beat this topic into the ground. Who cares if what he says is true.

Republicans take over the white house, Republicans are a majority in both senate and the house...some of them still blame democrats for every single problem that this country has faced these last 4.5 years.

Karl Rove is the ringleader of this type of mentality, and IMO is the scum of the earth. We already have a Rush Limbaugh, we don't need one in D.C. as well.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Hearsay?....so now the opinion of most liberals, and probably your own is just hearsay?...

BTW, you want to hide the truth now about what many liberals wanted to do right after 9/11?..... i thought you were in favor of always telling the truth nomatter the consequences....

America is already divided, as is most of the world. The statement of Rove shows what is in the minds of many liberals; is it a lie?

What are lies are the comments that the mostly liberal media has kept posting in their papers, about US and coalition forces being nazis, and the US having prisons like Gulags similar to the old U.S.S.R.... Those are the lies, and those are doing a lot more damage....yet you are one of the people that want to continue giving that sort of message to the world.

Now you claim that somebody else wants to devide Americans because his statement is true?....

Do you want me to drag out the quote after quote of you criticising the criticism of Bush as being partisan? If you were really not interested in partisan rubbish you shouldnt be advocating it here.

And yes it is hearsay. There is no direct quote of liberals saying what Rove said. We have seen anecdotal reports of liberal friends saying this and that about what to do over 9/11. Where are the direct, sourced quotes? And since when has generalisation been an accepted political tool?

You've accused me many times of being partisan but I can flattly sit here and tell you that I am not. Im not a member of any American political party and have not chosen a side in American politics.

However, I see terms such as "libel#es" and "democrats this" "democrats that" coming from you on daily basis. Im sick of this partisanship which is "divide and conquer 101" and do not want to see Republicans bashed either. That doesnt mean Bush is above suspicion or the law though, if he was a democrat and doing what he is doing now I swear to you that I would be just as vocal against him as I am now.

Drop your partisanship please!

p.s. keep on topic Muaddib, the Iraq war has no place in this thread.

[edit on 23/6/05 by subz]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I don't think it is that much of an exageration Memoryshock.

I happen to think it is an exaggeration. Karl Rove as an advisor to the White House is probably not spewing this school ground gossip behind the scenes, because if he was, then he wouldn't be employed. Gossip does not compliment any existing intel. Gossip does not further the understanding of any logistical aspect of any socio-econo-politico situation.

Gossip is said to incite a reaction. And a reaction we have here, as is probably the case in many other discussion groups both real and virtual.

Can you really imagine a White House staff sitting down to a meeting consisting of he said, she said on partisan lines? No?

Then why are we discussing it?

[edit on 23-6-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
These same Washinton Republican WIMPs aren't even MEN enough to guard the southern border.

These same Washington Republican LIARs that claimed aluminum rocket tubes were magically useable in centrifuges and they knew they were lying because the banned the DOE employees from telling the truth to reporters.

HEY ROVE, go back to hiding your homo self back in your hole.

Your rhetoric stinks.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Families of September 11 is a non-partisan nonprofit organization founded by the relatives of those who died in the attacks of September 11, 2001.

As families whose relatives were victims of the 9/11 terror attacks, we believe it is an outrage that any Democrat, any Republican, any conservative or any liberal, stakes a "high ground" position based upon the September 11th death and destruction. Doing so assumes that all those who died and their loved ones would agree. In truth, some would and some would not. By definition the conduct is divisive and, because it is intended to be self-serving and politicizes 9/11, it is offensive. We are calling on Karl Rove to resist his temptations and stop trying to reap political gain in the tragic misfortune of others. His comments are not welcome.

Families of 911

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join