It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Dems Say Rove Should Apologize or Resign Over Liberal Slur

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I see this as a simple strategy to focus attention away from the shortcomings of the present administration and towards the imaginary shortcomings of the hated 'other' - the democrats. Rove et al don't want to fix problems, they just want you to look somewhere else so you don't see the problems and ask too many questions about what Bush and co are going to do to fix them.

Sadly, many in the Republican party will blame Democrats for everything and never ask any questions.

Even sadder - before this administration came to office, I was a Republican myself. Now I'm so revolted by what I've seen that I'm unaligned and convinced they all must go.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AWingandASigh
I see this as a simple strategy to focus attention away from the shortcomings of the present administration

Bingo. What better way then to get the public all riled up over an opinion. As imflammatory as it is, it is still only an opinion and by itself, doesn't mean anything towards relevant action........

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
*cry* *cry* *cry* *wine*

That's all we get out of the Democratic party these days.

So, calling U.S. service men and women 'nazis' is OK but saying that the Right was harder on terrorists is WRONG!?

Hmm..the world we live in..

-wD

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

So, calling U.S. service men and women 'nazis' is OK but saying that the Right was harder on terrorists is WRONG!?

As I recall, all the bills that went through Congress after September 11 had 100% participation (including Democrats), except for 1 bill that had 1 dissenter.

Please SPECIFY examples of democrats going easy on terrorists after 9/11.

IMO, disrespect to our service men and women is always wrong and the gentleman in question was right to apologise.

Where is Mr. Rove's apology?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Karl Rove's statement is a bald faced lie.

If this was true, then why did the senate pass S.J.Res.22 , 100-0, on september 12 2001?

thomas.loc.gov...:SJ00022:@@@L&summ2=m&

Sounds like they were all on the same page.

Or how about S.1426, "A bill making emergency supplemental appropriations for fiscal year 2001 for additional disaster assistance, for anti-terrorism initiatives, and for assistance in the recovery from the tragedy that occurred on September 11, 2001, and for other purposes."

It passed 96-0.

thomas.loc.gov...:SN01426:@@@L&summ2=m&

We all remember the PATRIOT act, if they were so divided, why did it pass 98-1?

thomas.loc.gov...:HR03162:@@@L&summ2=m&

When the house and senate voted for war against afghanistan, the vote was not split between liberals and conservatives.

It passed the house 420-1.

It passed the senate 98-0.

thomas.loc.gov...:SJ00023:@@@L&summ2=m&

Karl Rove was lying.

It is obvious from the actions of the senate that both liberals and conservatives were prepared for war.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Just had to add this.

The comment comparing Gitmo to gulags was not a direct comparison.

What he said was that if you didn't know where the description was coming from you would think it was from a soviet gulag, or a nazi camp.

He never called our servicemen nazis.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
My, My, My how logic & objectivity flee before the winds of passion.

If Karl Rove actually said what he is quoted as saying then he should apologize--end of story. If he was, as is often the case, quoted out of context, then he should supply the correct context, but in either case, he should apologize because not doing so is counterproductive.

You know, I can't make up my mind if I'm a conservative democrat, a liberal republican, or just a sick minded old man. Whatever I am, I find the interplay of things like this humorous.

[edit on 24-6-2005 by Astronomer68]

[edit on 24-6-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   
If liberal means having an expansive, hopeful, open mind,
please, let me always be liberal.

If liberal means being gentle with good people who may have had a hard time of things,

If liberal means believing the future is full of hope and possibilities,
please let me always be liberal.

If liberal means not turning into a miserable meanspirited drone who pines for the past instead of hoping and working for the future,

If being liberal means carrying a small light of hope and happiness wherever i go,
please, for the rest of eternity, let me always be liberal.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
To those who think Durbin called the troops nazi's here's a post i did on it earlier. This is nothing but partisan politics at its worst, support for the president and iraq is sinking faster than a faulty soviet submarine so rove is moving away from the iraq issue and demonizing their opponents to make his party look like the better choice on the national security issue.

anyways here is what i said about durbin:

"have any of you actually seen what he said or do you just believe the right-wing propaganda mill? this is nothing but smoke and mirrors to try and divert attention from mounting criticism over the DSM. He did not attack the 'troops' or anything of the like. He is making the point that the practices at Guantanamo are unamerican and stand for values and practices that aren't considered american at all.

"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime — Pol Pot or others — that had no concern for human beings,"

This is the infamous quote. This remark was made while Durbin was reading a FBI report of prisoners who had been laying for 24 hours with feces smeared all over their faces. He was saying that if they didnt know the FBI provided them, they think it'd be from something like a gulag or a concentration camp.

Here is the report by the guy from the FBI. Now you will know what Durbin was talkin bout :

On a couple of occasions, I entered interview rooms to find a detainee chained hand and foot in a fetal position to the floor, with no chair, food, or water. Most times they urinated or defecated on themselves, and had been left there for 18-24 hours or more. On one occasion, the air conditioning had been turned down so far and the temperature was so cold in the room, that the barefooted detainee was shaking with cold... On another occasion, the [air conditioner] had been turned off, making the temperature in the unventilated room well over 100 degrees. The detainee was almost unconscious on the floor, with a pile of hair next to him. He had apparently been literally pulling his hair out throughout the night. On another occasion, not only was the temperature unbearably hot, but extremely loud rap music was being played in the room, and had been since the day before, with the detainee chained hand and foot in the fetal position on the tile floor."

And this is the Republican response that attacks Durbin and is what the American people are made to believe. Lies and rhetoric:

"... And, regrettably, I am refering to a Senate colleague who, this week, called Guantanamo a "death camp" - Bill Frist

Durbin did no such thing and is a flat out lie by Frist.

Can you see what's going on here???"

Now to my next question.

Has anyone got the full transcription of Rove's speech? I suspect that this could of been taken out of context and spun like crazy

I grow tired of these divisionary politics, these people are in charge of policy formation and what people should be doing on the capitol instead of apologising to eachother is to work on the issues that need to be done.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Rove attacked liberals right? Then why are Democrats going crazy?

Roves comment described conseratives vs liberals...not Republicans vs Democrats.

Should he apologize? No, not for telling the truth.

If Democrats aren't crying, then Republicans aren't doing their jobs!

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The issue lies not with the comment made, but Rove's right to say such things. He is in politics and life isn't fair in politics. People are not nice and mud will be slung. Rove should not have to apologize and the dems should stop whining. However, the dems get to say what they want whenever they want? Politicians should be able to speak their minds just as we do and not have to apologize for it.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
With that logic then the blockade of Bolton as U.N ambassador is completely acceptable and Bush should suck it in and admit defeat. When he prattles on about the need to end partisan politics for the good of the country and then sanctions this kind of rhetoric it quite rightly angers people.

He is all for partisan politics so long as its Democrat/liberal bashing and not aimed at Republicans. Its hypocritical and unacceptable.

Rove, the architect behind President Bush's election victories, on Wednesday night told a gathering of the New York Conservative Party that "Liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers." Conservatives, he said, "saw the savagery of 9/11 and the attacks and prepared for war."

He added that groups linked to the Democratic Party made the mistake of calling for "moderation and restraint" after the terrorist attacks.

He was aiming it at Democrats and it is hearsay. He didnt quote any one he merely said "liberals saw". Which liberals? He's a liar and distracting attention away from the current administrations dire straights.

Congressional Republicans earlier joined the White House in standing solidly behind Rove, saying he shouldn't apologize and that he was outlining a philosophical divide between a president who sought to win the war on terrorism by taking the fight to the enemy and Democrats who questioned that approach.

news.yahoo.com...

Long live partisan politics eh?

[edit on 24/6/05 by subz]

CTO

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Karl Rove, it appears, didn't criticize 'Democrats'... he criticized liberals, the vast majority of whom are Democarts...

Take a look at a few of these links:

www.rightwingnews.com...

www.oregonherald.com...

www.justicefor911.org...

www.911truth.org...

www.911truth.org...

...and there are hundreds of others... Just Google 'cause 9/11' or 'blame 9/11'...

People tend to forget that WE were attacked on OUR soil...

One thing that I can guarantee is that when you look in the 'Blame America First' crowd you won't find any conservatives...

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Subz, you are illustrating partisan politics as bad as Rove. Rove did not lie because he did not name any names. Though who are shouting about his comments most likely have the most to feel guilty about. Its the tell tale heart scenario. However, back to the subject Rove attacked liberals.

This tactic is common to Neo-Conservatives who look more at titles than what the group actually does. That is why we are fighting so many conflicts now, just because the type of government isn't a democracy. We need to look past titles and see things as how they affect us.

Democrat or Republican you can still be a liberal. We just need to calm down and stop getting so defensive especially when comments are not directed at you. Everyone does it and that is why Rove did this. It makes the democrats who are crying foul look worse than him.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I can't stand this Rove guy. He reminds me of Wormtongue in LOTR. His "advice" is practically worthless. This is the guy liberal and Democrat ire should be focussed on first, IMHO.

If anyone agrees on the biggest mistake Bush has made, it's listining to *anything* this guy has to say. He can't seem to understand war, economy, or politics. Makes me wonder what he's slipping into the President's drinks to keep his position and undermine any skepticism from the President.

I keep waiting for someone to smack the President and having the spirit of a malevolent wizard come out. And then Rove going and sacking a small town with his personal band of thugs...

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Come on. We are losing the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. The US economy is in the toilet. Bush's plan to give social security to the corporatists failed. We lost almost all respect in the world. Bush's polls numbers (the stuff Rove lives by) get lower everyday. What are you going to do? Especially when local elections are coming up?

Dangle a shiny object. Jingle some keys. Something for the sheeple to rally behind. They call him "Bush's Brain" for a reason. He knows how to get Bush's poll numbers back up. Just keep saying "9/11" and blame everything, all of Bush's failures, on "liberals". Create enemies, an "us against them" mentality. Human beings are herd animals. They want to be coddled. So they find some solace in this "big daddy" figure of the government taking care of the. Rove is just giving them a pacifier to suck on.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I think it might be time for a serious third party to take advantage of this ignorance and rise into the mix. This country is split and almost all are becoming increasingly disenchanted with their perspective parties. I mean seriously, in these times, this childish behavior from both sides is getting rather old. It's time to get over yourselves, stop the blame game, and get the job done.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Short and Sweat

Lets take this to a new level of hypocrisy, shall we?
Rove has to resign or apologize........when Dean does, k?

The Dems calls for an apology or resignation from Rove are ludicrous.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Edit: added *to*

seekerof

[edit on 24-6-2005 by Seekerof]

CTO

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Come on. We are losing the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. The US economy is in the toilet.

Really??? Losing the war in Iraq and Afghanistan by who's account? It seems to me that both countries have had free, democratic elections, that women have a voice in the destiny of their countries for the first time, educational and health care systems are functioning better than ever and both countries are standing up military and security forces for self defense against foreign insurgents... Doesn't sound like much of a loss to me...

The next statement: 'The economy is in the toilet' is pure rubbish and not worth addressing...

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Short and Sweat

Lets take this a new level of hypocrisy, shall we?
Rove has to resign or apologize........when Dean does, k?

The Dems calls for an apology or resignation from Rove are ludicrous.
Nothing more, nothing less.

seekerof

Bravo!!!!!! That's why the conservatives won the Whitehouse..not to stir up a can of worms...The liberals are the worst badmouthing bunch the country has ever seen, rude, rude, rude..and the people couldn't take it anymore...my advice...all parties start becoming more civil and you'll get your point across...Oh and also: No taking statements or facts out of context...So THERE!!!!!

[edit on 6/24/2005 by mercury19]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join