It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did Man lose over 90% of his life spand after the greate Flood

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Posted by Byrd
Well, first of all, man didn't ever live that long.....

Are you saying that it's impossible for man to live that long (up to 900 years as described in the Bible)..Or are you saying that we have no evidence that it did happen, but it's possible?

I found this, what do you think. My post above also seems to imply that it's possible.

Here's a source that says that a mutation could have been responsible for the change in life span noted in the Bible.

Source: www.lewrockwell.com...
The good news is that there is scientific evidence that humans have the capacity to lengthen their average life span by hundreds of years.
This progressive mutation at some time in past generations deactivated the gene for the enzyme gulonolactone oxidase and slowly as the mutation progressed the synthesis of vitamin C came to an end in humans
This means that humans at one time in the past, prior to this gene mutation, lived for hundreds of years. This doesn't fit with the current evolutionary scheme of biology which postulates that humans evolved from monkeys and early man lived no longer than 40 years.

A very good read if your interested in this subject, and want to know if it's possible for man to have such long life spans.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I disagree byrd. The Bible doesn't CLEARLY BORROW from any older cultures.

Of course every culture doesn't have a "myth" about a global flood. Many of these records may have been destroyed along with these cultures.

Why would you use a date as recent as 1900s for an arguement about a pharoah's lifespan?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
BadMojo,
First, let me let you on to a little secret.... I am definately a person of faith. Christianity to be exact. So I do have belief in the Bible.
As to the veracity of the bible and it's being the most accurate book ever written. Well unfortuantely that is incorrect. I will tell you what a freind of mine told me years and years ago, Bishop Gelineau of Rhode Island, " The bible was written by primitive men for a primitive people and times. It is not to be taken as the literal truth, but as a handbook to lead us into a better understanding of God, his role in our life and our role with him".

Again though, other than a biblical reference, there is nothing to support the belief of a 900 year age span.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well, I'm sorry to hear that ken. The Bible is the Word of God and therefore infallible. For one to say otherwise, is to say that God is wrong. This "bishop", as you call him, will have to answer for his decisions as we all will...

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Another possibility:

When Eve ate from the tree of life, maybe it was not an actual tree, but more of a family tree. God did say "who told you, you were naked". Pretty silly question if they were the only ones there. One of the angels also said if they ate from it again, they would have everlasting life (or something to that degree). That was why they were tossed out of the garden of eden. So basicly, if she had dealings or what ever you want to call it, with one of the angels, it caused their life spans to be much longer.

-just another thought.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
One of the most interesting pieces of data vis-a-vis the "global" flood (which wasn't global but must've seemed that way) took place maybe seven thousand years ago. It was around that time that, due the the melting of the remnants of Pleistocene glaciers, the level of the Mediterranean rose up, washed over what is now the Bosporus, and flooded a valley which contained what was a large fresh-water lake.

This lake valley, bordered by what is now Russia, Ukraine, Turkey, Georgia, Bulgaria, and Romania, quickly (over about a 300-day period) filled up and became the Black Sea. There's a plethora of evidence that this happened; starting at around the 200-foot level of the Black Sea, we see ruins of small villages, shells of fresh-water clams, etc.

We also have pretty good corroborating evidence, based on linguistic analysis, that that particular area was a gerographic center for a family of languages that offer data to support a 7500-year-old linguistic (and possibly cultural) dispersion.

If anyone's interested in really looking at this, i'd recommend one of my favorite archaeology books: Noah's Flood: The New Scientific Discoveries about the Event That Changed History by Ryan and Pitman.

Here is a quick critique of the research, contrasting traditional and liberal Christian views of such a phenomenon:

www.religioustolerance.org...

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
He started eating meat.

this is true! ... I like the theory where at first there was a layer of Water above the clouds... that blocked Radiation and allowed for a greater oxygen concentration.

Those 2 things together would allow a human to live much longer. Scientist do not understand why our cells break down with time... most popular theory of causeing human cells to break down is not time ... it is Radiation.

makes you think... doesn't it.

Immortality could be around the corner!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Kenshiro says:

First, let me let you on to a little secret.... I am definately a person of faith. Christianity to be exact. So I do have belief in the Bible.

Kenshiro, as a born-again Christian, I agree with you and the bishop wholeheartedly.

I do not see any innate contradiction between the Great Architect and Program Manager who designed the Universe and set it going as the greatest Project imagined -- and Who still had enough Project Management Reserve to send His Son to die for our sins and rise for our justification.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Actually no it does not mean that God is wrong.
God did not write the bible, Man did. To say that it is the word of god is incorrect.
It would be more correct to say that it is the word of god through the eyes, ears and predjucies of man.
The bible as we know it today has undergone so many translations (and mis-translations) as well as being edited that to try and believe it to be the whole un-adulterated truth is to leave yourself (3rd person) and the religion of christianity open to ridicule and skeptisism.
Her is an example of editing. If you will look at the modern bible and read the 1st commandment. In today's bible it goes, "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" Prior to 1968, the 1st commandment read as" I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me. Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the waters under the earth. Thou shalt not adore them, nor serve them: I am the Lord thy God, mighty, jealous, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; and showing mercy unto thousands to them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Notice that it specifically states that there are to be no graven images likenesses etc and you shall not adore them.
These were removed when people started to question the use of statues, stained glass mirrors, the cross etc. as they are graven images and thus against the 1st commandment.
As the commandments are supposed to be a direct order by god to man, how can we man re-write these laws to better suit out needs.

I support the bible. I live by it's precepts and ideas. As it is stated many times over and over again in both the old as well as in the new testaments. the bible is not for religion. It is a way of life to become closer to god.
[Edited to add]

BadMoJo, if you wish to debate the validity of the bible, or of the christian adaptaions of it, Let me know and I will create a thread or two so that we can discuss the topic.
Can though get back to the topic of the thread and again address the evidence to supposrt the supposition that man lived for 900 years or more?

[edit on 9-6-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I would like to get some input into what happen to man after the great flood that would make man lose over 90% of his life span

Because the idea that those mentioned in the bible, living to be 900 years old, etc. is pure nonsense perhaps???

If anything, human lifespan has doubled since our early ancestors....

Are you saying that it's impossible for man to live that long (up to 900 years as described in the Bible)..Or are you saying that we have no evidence that it did happen, but it's possible?

I'm saying both personally...
As for the gene argument, total heresay and speculation.

[edit on 9-6-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

ME

GazrokI'm saying both personally... As for the gene argument, total heresay and speculation.

Well excuse me for bringing speculation about the possibility of this being genetically possible(apparantly it is tho). I especially like your comment that the ages are nonsense.....BTW how's your work into finding the "truth" of extra-terrestrial visitations/abductions going?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
There was a ring of water that surrounded the entire earth. I certainly don't know all it did. Some of the things it did were to block out harmful radiation. Someone mentioned the oxygen level in this type of greenhouse atmosphere was greater, I've heard that also. It was close to a perfect environment. This ring of water was probably part of the water that rained down on the earth during the GLOBAL flood. After the flood it was no longer there.

Also when sin entered the human race, it progressively gets worse and worse. Sin takes a physical toll on bodies and as time goes by and as sin worsened the life span of mankind became shorter. Shortened lifespans is a result of sin.

And I can't rememmber the verse but I beleive there is a verse that basically says God shortened man's lifetime so that people would have less years in which to commit sins.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
A lot of good responses , Thank you all !!!!!!!

AS I have read Genesis, I have pick up so things that are not talked about Much and one thing that goes against Most teaching...

If You read real close and slow enough to were you can think of what you have just read (Thats the way I have to do or I will over look what I am reading or at least the POINT ))))

What I'v have picked up in my reading is that after God had seprated the waters, Lets say he put 1/2 of all the waters in the sky and 1/2 under ground and in some of the Bibles it says (and the sea) Which coule say ONE SEA..

As I under stand it is that the earth was most likely 90 To 95% Land and Maybe 5 to 10% water ON the Land,,,.

Now just think that God made the Earth to be home of many people and as have it, we can not live under wather nor can we do well on high mountins / with out help of some thing, and as one of you said that it never rain till the Flood was sent.

So if the hole Planet was to hold people, there was no use for oceans and High mountains. as the Bible says that the earth was waterd each night by the water comming up from the ground and watered the roots of all the plants and trees and also made small pons of clear clean water for who or what ever wanted a drink..

The water in the sky made earth one big Green house and there were no polor caps to interfer with the growth of the poplation of of the land,, with the green house effect, the hole planet could mantain a tempt. of a low at night of about 70 to 72 degrees and maybe 72 to 75 during the daylight time...

Now, just sticking with the water thought, when the flood came,, All the water came up from under the ground and the outer 1/2 fell out of the Sky and with the Earth being mostly land and no mountains there would be enough water to cover the hole Planet OK....

Now to do something with the water that covers everything,,, You as God could have raised the Mountains and put in major ditches so the water would have a place to go and only about 1/3 of the land became Dryed again so that the people could be seperated for 1000's of years and the technical Knowlage of man would have to waite a long time before he could get enough people together in order make things as they studied from each other..

It took Noah 120 years to build the ark, it rained for 40 day and nights and the earth was under water for 150 days, Noah open the window on the ark 40days after the rain had stoped, after that, Noah let a raven out to see if there were any dry land, and it didn't so noah set out a Dove to see if it could find dry land and it looked and looked and never found dry land.
Noah then waited 7 days and sent a nother Dove out to find dry land, and when the Dove returned to him in the evening and there in its Beak was a freshly plucked olive leaf, them Noah wated another 7 days and sent another dove out again but this time, the Dove never came back.. By the first dayof the first monthof Noah's six hundred and first year, the water had dried up on the earth..........

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

There was a ring of water that surrounded the entire earth.

Do you have any evidence for this astounding assertion?

I certainly don't know all it did. Some of the things it did were to block out harmful radiation. Someone mentioned the oxygen level in this type of greenhouse atmosphere was greater, I've heard that also.

Where did you hear such a thing, and what evidence does this source bring to the discussion?

It was close to a perfect environment. This ring of water was probably part of the water that rained down on the earth during the GLOBAL flood. After the flood it was no longer there.

What was it that held this "ring of water" up, and how did it get up there in the first place?

It sounds to me like you're just making a story up. You haven't offered any evidence for this, or any explanation of how it could come about in the first place, or anything else.

I think that you're making stuff up in order to try to show some sort of reason why you believe in a huge flood that covered the world, when there really wasn't any -- or not anything we have any evidence for.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street

[quoteWhat was it that held this "ring of water" up, and how did it get up there in the first place?

This evidence is from the Bible which is God's word to us at this time. Genesis 1:6-7.

God simply says the word and it is done. God put the ring of water there and He is what held it there: see John1:1-3 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him;and without him was not anything made that was made.

And Colossians 1:17 And he(Jesus Christ) is before all things, and by him all things consist.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfdarby
A lot of good responses , Thank you all !!!!!!!

AS I have read Genesis, I have pick up so things that are not talked about Much and one thing that goes against Most teaching...

If You read real close and slow enough to were you can think of what you have just read (Thats the way I have to do or I will over look what I am reading or at least the POINT ))))

I agree. Genesis 1:9 tells us the water on the earth was all in one place.

All of the earth before the flood was also fertile, there were no deserts.

Also read Psalm 104:5-9
5 Who laid the foundations of the earth,that it should not be removed forever.
6 Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the mountains.
7 At thy rebuke they fled; at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away.
8 They go up by the mountains; they go down the valleys unto the place which thou hast founded for them.
9 Thou hast set a bound that they may not pass over; that they turn not again to cover the earth.

After the flood the mountains rose and the ocean basins sank.

14. The Bible says that the highest mountains were covered by 15 cubits [20 feet] of water (Genesis 7:20). This is half the height of the ark. The ark was safe from scraping bottom at all times.

15. The large mountains, as we have them (today, did not exist until after the Flood when "the mountains arose and the valleys sank down" (Psalm 104:5–9; Genesis 8:3–8).

16. There is enough water in the oceans right now to cover the earth 8,000 feet deep if the surface of the earth were smooth.

www.livingwaters.com...

[edit on 11-6-2005 by dbrandt]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfdarby
I would like to get some input into what happen to man after the great flood that would make man lose over 90% of his life spand..

Before the flood, Man seam to live over 900 years, But now it's something great if you make it over 100 Years..

You Guys and Gals that's is heavy Science should have some great ideals on what happen to Man and the Earth During the Flood....

you guys keep it shut unless u can help him- I read the 1st page and not a single guy answered his question... gosh...

yes, man lived about 900 years we can assume backl than, at least the ones mentioned in the Bible anyway, the reasons given for 120 year lifespan now just in the Bible is that Gods spirit does not live with man, because he is flesh. the other reason thats obvious is after the flood life went to hell a lot more, with everything in it a lot crappier, the vapor around earth than helped everything be a LOT better, like basically pure oxygen, no rain, but a mist, buigger plants, animals, humans etc... etc... to answer yer question, thats why.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street

I certainly don't know all it did. Some of the things it did were to block out harmful radiation. Someone mentioned the oxygen level in this type of greenhouse atmosphere was greater, I've heard that also.

Where did you hear such a thing, and what evidence does this source bring to the discussion?

It was close to a perfect environment. This ring of water was probably part of the water that rained down on the earth during the GLOBAL flood. After the flood it was no longer there.

What was it that held this "ring of water" up, and how did it get up there in the first place?

It sounds to me like you're just making a story up. You haven't offered any evidence for this, or any explanation of how it could come about in the first place, or anything else.

I think that you're making stuff up in order to try to show some sort of reason why you believe in a huge flood that covered the world, when there really wasn't any -- or not anything we have any evidence for.

of corse If You don't belive in the Bible, what I am about to tell you will not be worth a hill of Beans !!!!

Genesis 1:6 And God said Let there be an expanse between the waters to Separate Water from Water So God made the expanse and Separated the water under the expanse from the water above it..

Genesis 1:9 and God said, Let the water under the sky be Gathered to one place and let dry Ground appear, And it was so..

Genesis 1:10 God called the dry ground (Land) and the waters he called (Sea)

Now this Part in what I think was from what I have read,, With the water in the sky made the daylight sky look pink in color and the sky was only 2 miles above the land and the oxygen level was at better than 25%.. there were no radationthat made it through the water and so there were no sun Burns and no Cancers. With the air so much richer in O everything grew much bigger and lived much longer..

Here in West Virgnia were I live, there are 35 Coal seams in the sand stone Moutainsbefore you reach the Granite shelf, and in the Big Coal seams You can find Hundreds and Hundreds of Plant fossils and fern stems so big that they are, that they had to grow over 25 feet tall. I have got stems pieces bigger round than gallon milk bottles and You can conpair then to ferns of today and the stems look the same execp for the size..

At times when they Blast the rock off the Coal you can see full size trees still standing up in the sand stone, the inside of the trees are turned into sand but the bark from top to bottoms has turned to Coal, it really something to see. At the top of the seams of Coal and the bottoms of the sand stone is totally full of fossal plants and and other things..

Some of the fern stems are taller than some of the trees..

Our Coal seams here are not as big as the ones in Wyoming and other western states but they still get some over 20 to 30 feet High at the best and some of them You can't put a nickle in flat,,,

Now back to the water in the Sky, from what I've read is when the Xepanse Broke, it broked at the polor ends of earth and it expanded more than 20 miles and as the pressure cool the Polor ends and they froze and have been frozen since then, and when that happen, we lost all of the protrction we had from the sun and other things that bad for us and thats when we got our Blue sky. there is mostly air there now and a lot less water...

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
JFdarby, Wonderful job. You are so right. I had never put 2 and 2 together before. That conclusion answers so many questions I've had. I am so glad you made this post. I cant wait to call my cousin and discuss this with her.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
jfdarby,
I do like how you put that together (although you may want to use spell check
)
Couple of things though.
One, Yes there was a great deal more humidity in the area in pre-historic time. The time of which though, there has been no evidence of humans being around during that time. That being the case, the belief in be able to live to a ripe old age of 900 does not compute

Also, the deluge that you describe first occuring at the poles, would have left a definitive mark on the Earth. There would be evidence of this everywhere instead on only in a few specific areas.

I am interested in where you get the information on the "pink" skies. This is the first time I have ever heard of that conjecture.

I would love to believe that:
1) there were humans back during that time period (it would back up a few of my own personal beliefs).
2) Humans at one time did indeed live to be 900 (or longer). Unfortunately, other than biblical references, there has been nothing to back this supposition up.
Please remember one thing. The bible as we know it, Has been interpeted so many times. By the actual authors, the various translations, the various editors, that to use the bible as something to be 100% true, would be a misconception. This is why I asked for sources other than the Bible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join