It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Florida Businessman Develops Hurricane Killer?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
With this years hurricane season predicted to be more active then the previous year, Florida businessman Peter Cordani believes he's found a way to evaporate or severely weaken these storms before they have a chance to do any harm.

www.wfmy.com
His first true test of the theory came in July 2001, when the company used a B-57 bomber to attack a thunderclap with the super absorbent polymer in the waters off Palm Beach. The storm evaporated completely from Doppler radar, according to Cordani.

"It was an incredible moment," he said.

Bolstered by the success of the field test, Cordani gathered a team of scientists and investors, plus a convoy of 747 jetliners from Evergreen Aviation in Colorado, for the mother of all trials.

The group plans to tackle a tropical storm this hurricane season. Cordani says that attacking a pie-shaped sliver of a hurricane as it forms over water could slow the storm down by 15 to 20 mph, causing the winds to turn on themselves.

"We're not going to get rid of the storm," he said. "There will still be heavy rain. We're just trying to take the punch out of it."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Cordani's "Dyn-O-Gel" is non-toxic and biodegradable. He(Cordani) states that his product is perfectly safe saying: "I know for a fact there's more poison in French fries than my product". The "Dyno-Gel" polymer can reportedly hold up to 3,000 times its weight in liquid, making it ideal to absorb the moisture from a storm, thus robbing the storm of energy. A interesting idea still needing much more research, but after the billions of dollars in damage to Florida alone last year, it seems to me to be a wise investment. Please visit supporting links(below) for more information on hurricane control.

Related News Links:
www.willthomas.net
www.winwenger.com
bigal282003.tripod.com...

[edit on 1-6-2005 by Rren]

[edit on 1-6-2005 by Rren]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
*groan* Not this again. Hurricanes have the energy of hundreds if not thousands of Nuke bombs, we have nothing in our inventory short of a nuke that can disrupt one of these things. How come every Season someone comes out with a supposed Hurricane Killer

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This guy and his dyno-gel has been around for a few years and we still have had big storms. I think it is a really bad idea to mess with hurricanes as planned out in the article. I dont think it will work, it would take more of the product that can be reasonably produced and a huge fleet of planes to get enough stuff in the hurricane to make a difference. Maybe they were messing with our hurricanes last year and thats part of the reason mother nature sent so many towards Florida.

When they say they can make a storm cloud dissapear, one can say just by looking at a cloud you can make it dissapear because the typical rain cloud over the ocean has a life of about 1 hour.

Even if the stuff works, the massive amounts of volume required has to make an impact on the enviroment. I dont care if the stuff is suppose to be enviromental friendly, too much of anything can wreck havoc on an eco-system.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I'm sure you guys have heard the one about building a Trailer Park
on the deck of an aircraft carrier, and towing it out to sea.? The hungry storm is sure to follow..

Don't mess with it..The energy HAS to equalize.
the ocean has to exchange heat with the upper atmosphere.
If there was a way to steer the storms, that might be a better idea..Let
the exchange happen over open water..

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
That guy's been pushing that stuff for years now.

Huricanes are giant heat engines. the whole idea is impractical.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Well, ya know, if y'all don't like hurricanes you could just give the land back to its original rightful owners: the Seminoles, Miccos, etc.

Nature has a reason for these storms. Messing with them could backfire, bigtime.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I agree that it might be a bad idea to mess with mother nature. However, if a project can decrease the intensity of the eye wall right before it makes landfall, it could save billions of dollars in property damage even if the effect only lasted for a couple of hours. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already been doing this as recently as last year.

Hurricanes may become the least of our problems though if the gulf stream is shutting down as we ponder all of these other little issues. I do wonder if the gulf stream shut down, would hurricanes be even harder for someone to temporarily make changes to? Since these hurricanes are a way for heat to be transferred from warm areas to cold areas, I can imagine more powerful and much more numerous storms as well coming soon.

The more we decrease the strength of these storms, the more potential there will be for increasing the number of storms we see. These are just my thoughts or opinions though. I think 10 minimal hurricanes sound better than 3 Hugo's but I might be wrong. Someone in charge of weather modification may have already made that decision but I guess we will never know.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
i can't see it working theres to much energy involved, he would be better off dumping it on the desert with grass seed, the polymer would soak up the nights moisture binding the sand as it swells the grass could then get a foot hold and use the stored moisture during the day

Is this possibble ?????

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
If you could catch the storm at exactly the right place and time it might work. It makes about as much sense as using explosives to put out a fire and look at what the oil industry has done with that. Biggest question that I have is "Suppose the storm doesn't collapse when this stuff is used and makes landfall, can he be sued for the damage caused by the storm???

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
These are the only "Hurricane Killers" I know of...

Seriously though - It seems that if you have the money and the power, people just ignore the long-term effects...What if this crud he's dumping on the hurricane is docile now but after years and years of build up creates a problem of its own, or adds to the ones we already have....

Trying to fight problems with the weather by seeding the clouds is a step backwards...We already have enough chemicals screwing up the Ozone, is adding more really worth creating the short-term desired results?

We've created this mess...Not to mention the fact that a polar shift is on it's way....We have to let nature run its course, for the better or worse....Mankind may be the dominant species on this planet, but screwing around with things of this nature seems a bit too covetous IMO

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by bortsamson
i can't see it working theres to much energy involved, he would be better off dumping it on the desert with grass seed, the polymer would soak up the nights moisture binding the sand as it swells the grass could then get a foot hold and use the stored moisture during the day

Is this possibble ?????

That sounds like a good suggestion--at least one worth trying somewhere.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
For the tinfoil hat crowd:

If this guy's theory is even remotely possible for a short term solution, would the opposite also be true? If massive moisture is added to a forming hurricane, can it's power be *increased*?

Weather control, hydrological warfare. Could be why the increases in devastation in North America in the recent couple of years. Surely the energy increases haven't been nearly as drastic as the increase in physical power and number of these storms?

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
jrod says:

This guy and his dyno-gel has been around for a few years and we still have had big storms.

but how many of those storms did he attempt to ameliorate?

I dont think it will work, it would take more of the product that can be reasonably produced and a huge fleet of planes to get enough stuff in the hurricane to make a difference.

You don't know that, and neither do I. Obviously, this stuff is in the very beginning stages of development, and the only way we'll find out whether or not it's going to be feasible is to try it.

Maybe they were messing with our hurricanes last year and thats part of the reason mother nature sent so many towards Florida.

I don't think that the coriolis force or heat from the sun has any sort of malevolent "mana" which is "out to get us" if we "mess with it".

To be honest, I don't know how well this dynogel will work -- if it even will -- or what the side effects are. But neither does anyone else here.

I say give the guy a chance to try it.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think interfering with the hardcore expresions of "mother nature" is about the worst thing we could do.
Noone has the lightest idea what the reprecusions will be on the global weather system.

Not to mention that energy can't disapear, it"ll have to go somewhere and the massive amount of energy in a hurricane is something I wouldn't want to shift to something unknown.

We should learn to live with nature instead of trying to change it. Otherwise, nature will bite us back 10 fold in unpredictable ways.

[edit on 2-6-2005 by thematrix]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
With Arlene developing I wonder what the people at dyn-o-mat are up to. If they must experiment with tropical storms and hurricanes you gotta believe that any storm within range of their fleet is going to get the gel. If they are truly doing this I for one would like to know when they go out so I can see in real time if there is any evidence of the experiment working.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
They say that they intend to test it out on a tropical storm during this years hurricane season. I can't find anything that says when and where, maybe somebody else will have more luck. I think the plan is to try it early in the storms development, trying to stop it from ever becoming a hurricane. The logistics involved with pulling something like this off are daunting to say the least.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I have read somewhere that were that they wanted to try that. The big problem I see is if the stuff works they might be able to prevent a tropical storm from making it to a hurricane or even dissapate it is they will be energy left behind and in an active year it does not take much for another low to develop and hurricanes really stir up the ocean and lower the sea surface temperatures so keeping a storm from reaching its full potential will leave the ocean relativly undisturbed and ripe for another storm to spin up. If the stuff really works I think the emphasis should be on weakening a big storm shortly before landfall, a big storm in open water should be left alone because it will leave behind a trail of cooler water making another storm in the same area not likely and it would help pull energy out of the tropics while seeding a storm leaves energy behind.(assuming it makes actually works)

I am doubful that this could ever work and highly doubt they have the budget to go after 10+ storms in the developing stages. If we get a storm near the east coast of Florida and some goo stufff that Ive never seen before washes up, Ill take some pictures and post them on here.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I see some good in this type of research. Even if this isn't the final solution, an investment in this type of testing will undoubtedly lead to more research and greater discoveries in the future. Saving the lives of people and billions in investments should be a priority. Large amounts of govermental financial relief, the constant raise of insurance premiums and payouts, and the loss of human life are important to the preservation of the great nation of the U.S.

My concern is that these large storms may have an importance in the balance of the Earth's ecosystems that we are not yet fully aware of.

I believe the actions and reactions of these experiments must be closely studied and shared publicly so that we may collectively influence those that can assure the proper decisions are being made.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
You think these folks are going to try to tackle Dennis?

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This guy has been in the news So many times and he even claimed he was going to reduce Ivan's strength (Guess that didn't work). Fact of the matter is you can't stop something that powerful with today's technology.

FL Man to Reduce Hurricane Ivan's Strength
Florida Inventor Believes he can Suck the Power Out of Hurricanes
News from the FL storm front.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join