It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: High School boy goes on killing spree

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Scott Moody, from Bellefontaine, OH, went on a killing spree that took the lives of his grandparents, his mother, his sister, and 2 friends before taking his own life on the morning of his high school graduation. According to family and friends, there were no indications that Scott was capable of such acts of violence.

www.cbsnews.com
On the morning he was to graduate high school, Scott Moody walked a half-mile to his grandparents' farmhouse and began what authorities say was the first stop in a gruesome murder-suicide that ended in six deaths.

According to investigators, Moody shot his grandparents with a .22-caliber rifle before heading home, where he went from bedroom to bedroom, shooting his mother, teenage sister and two friends before killing himself.

The only survivor — Moody's critically wounded sister — used her cell phone to call for help.

"It's tough on us," Logan County Sheriff Michael Henry said. "We knew these people. We're familiar with these kids. I feel so badly for these families, this community."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I really have no personal comments about the act other than total sorrow for the family and friends of the victims. Such a horrible thing for the small community to have to go through. This is the kind of thing that can either destroy a town, or make it stronger and closer than ever. I hope it's not the former.

Related News Links:

[edit on 31-5-2005 by mpeake]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Absolutely awful, you really gotta worry about what's causing American children to do these things.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
As common as the sun rising.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   

there were no indications that Scott was capable of such acts of violence.

People need to realize that EVERYONE is capable of this. We are all animals and we can only be pushed so far. Who knows what flips people to thier primal side.

Everyone is diffrent and we all have our boundries, but not all of us know where they are.

[edit on 31-5-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I hope and pray the families of the victims and the community will learn from this. I hope we all learn from this.

Absolutely awful, you really gotta worry about what's causing American children to do these things.

Young Americans think they have it bad...they assume that all is hell cause they broke up with thier b/g-friend who was thier first lay. They think that life is bad cause for the silliest of reasons and that it will never get better. They take stuff too personal sometimes and cannot accept constructive critisism from anyone parents, teachers or peers.

Parents, they along with the kids who do such violence are the ones to blame. It's an equal blame. Many parents do not teach thier children when they screw up and they do not allow the teachers to teach them either.

"Don't raise your voice at my child"
"Don't tell my kid what to do"
"What? My kid hit you!! So..you can't hit him back"

STFU!!!!! I hate parents that say trash like that.
If your highschool child hits me....Im gonna knock him the hell out.
And if you want some after that, I'll knock you the hell out too!
Them parents deserve it for trying to justify thier kids HANUS actions.

Parents, your kids are not angels. They do screw up and do many things behind your back that you would not approve of. How do I know this, Im in my early 20's. I am a Generation Xer, Im not that far ahead of all these teens who do things like this.

When they do screw up and act a fool in class and on the streets and parents find out about it....they go into "Denial" mode..."no not my kid".
The kid assumes he is right since his parents do not see anything wrong with it. That is the problem.

Many parents are good to go, but many parents are not.
They go into the "denial" category I stated above.
Wake up and smell the violence!!!!! Your child can watch blood and gore and play the worst shooting games out there, and if you are a good parent then he will be OK, but if you are a bad parent...it will reflect in your child.

Don't blame Media and TV, blame parents and children.

[edit on 31/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Young Americans think they have it bad...they assume that all is hell cause they broke up with thier b/g-friend who was thier first lay. They think that life is bad cause for the silliest of reasons and that it will never get better. They take stuff too personal sometimes and cannot accept constructive critisism from anyone parents, teachers or peers.

You have voted SportyMB for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

You are absolutely right - it's time for people to wake up and smell the poo, like you said, American kids have it better the most of their counterparts in other countries of the world, but maybe they lack one thing RESPECT! In other countries kids are taught to respect their elders, work hard and be good. This is maybe due to the fact that kids from other countries aren't babysat by xbox and cable tv, they actually sit down to dinner with their parents and are made to hear what they have to say.

I think now we are starting to see the result of a generation spoon fed graphically violent media. Prepare for the worst, this is only the edge of the storm...

[edit on 31-5-2005 by KiwiDave]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Youths have been subjected to (and involved in) graphic violence and butchery from the beginning of time. Television and video games bring nothing new to the table. Like Sporty said, 10 kids can be exposed to the most intensely negative games, books, and programs, and if 5 of them have bad parents, then 5 of them will be bad kids.

Zip

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Simply Horrible!

Whats Wrong with the Jouth today?

Has everyone gone Crazy?

Maybe the Problem could be in a Number of Gun Stores and Ammunition being available everywhere.

I remember in the movie Bowling 4 Columbine, the two guys bought bullets in a store on the way to the School.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
there were no indications that Scott was capable of such acts of violence.

People need to realize that EVERYONE is capable of this. We are all animals and we can only be pushed so far. Who knows what flips people to thier primal side.

Everyone is diffrent and we all have our boundries, but not all of us know where they are.

[edit on 31-5-2005 by SpittinCobra]

You are so right. And it's not just kids either. I'm well, I hate to say how old I am, but let's just say, I have a 15 year old son.

I am fully aware that I, personally have limits. But still, I don't know exactly where they are, and if they were to be reached, what exactly I would do. Since I hate guns, and do not allow them in my home (although that's just me, I fully believe in the 2nd Ammendment), I probably wouldn't do anything violent, I would probably internalize it. But, I don't really know, and you're right, no one really does.....until it's too late.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Killing sprees have been with us for a long time.

They are not limited to America.

What we have now is 24 hour news coverage of such events.

There will be others.

Be patient.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I agree - Everybody has a "Trigger Inside".

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

They are not limited to America.

Very true, but when it comes to killing sprees done by teens...
then I have the sad duty of informing you that America is in the lead.

If know otherwise, please let me know.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Uh, suicide bombers? The only difference is in the method... This guy used a .22 rifle -- that's pretty desperate. Sounds to me like he really wanted to kill and this isn't a gun control issue. This man was 18 years old - old enough to own a rifle or a shotgun or go to war.

Zip

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
I hope and pray the families of the victims and the community will learn from this. I hope we all learn from this. Absolutely awful, you really gotta worry about what's causing American children to do these things.

Parents, your kids are not angels. They do screw up and do many things behind your back that you would not approve of. How do I know this, Im in my early 20's. I am a Generation Xer, Im not that far ahead of all these teens who do things like this.

When they do screw up and act a fool in class and on the streets and parents find out about it....they go into "Denial" mode..."no not my kid".
The kid assumes he is right since his parents do not see anything wrong with it. That is the problem.

You may have a point there, but are you aware that for one thing, it is much easier for an onlooker to preach to one directly involved in a situation what is "right", than for the other to actually put this into practice, even if they do theoretically agree with you?

Perhaps you are being just a bit hard on the parents. You are how old? 22? Are you a parent of a teenage child? If so, then you understand more than I think. However, I think that this is not the case, and you need to also place at least some of the blame on the child. After all, all parents do not "go into denial mode". But it can be awfully hard to guess what is on your child's mind if they don't tell you. Maybe, most importantly, it is the parent's responsibility to make sure that the line of communication between them and their child/children is always open, and make sure that your child feels comfortable in talking with you, not awkward or afraid.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

but are you aware that for one thing, it is much easier for an onlooker to preach to one directly involved in a situation what is "right", than for the other to actually put this into practice, even if they do theoretically agree with you?

Yup, Im aware of this. And I fully understand your point. Iam speaking about Americas youth as a whole, not just this one act. I should have specified. Sorry about that. In many cases the parents have been outstanding and set and led by example, but the Child/kid/teen/person is just too messed up in the head. No matter how good you are and how involved the parents migtht be....in some cases, very few.

Perhaps you are being just a bit hard on the parents. You are how old? 22? Are you a parent of a teenage child?

Perhaps the Parents are being too soft on the kids and yes if you apply what I said to certain familes and thier specific relationships with thier kids, then yeah ok what I said is too hard....but apply it to many others and I hit the bulls eye. With stuff like this there is no definate right or wrong , hard or soft...ok. With some kids a harsh stare will set them straight...others a backhand and some just a loud yell.....it all depends.

And No, I do not have any kids (thank god) and yes I am 22.

it is the parent's responsibility to make sure that the line of communication between them and their child/children is always open, and make sure that your child feels comfortable in talking with you, not awkward or afraid.

Then why do so many parents blame Sony, Panasonic, Microsoft, the school system and the local arcade for thier childrens misbehaves and acts of violance.

Again, I meant as a whole...not this family specifically.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
If your child killed 7 kids at high school, who would you blame? The music, or the video games, or his friends or drugs...anything, other than yourself or your child.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It's a shame he lacked the character to just kill himself, and spare his family. A sad day for Ohio.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I suggest We could Blame NRA - National Rifles Association.

They get Money - and Kids shoot their Parent and Grand Parents with Rifles.

Great Job!

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Ah yes...let us all dismiss the FACT that a person pulled the trigger.
Wow, I didnt know guns these days have the ability to point, aim, and fire all on thier own...interesting

What about microsoft...I suppose you blame them too?
How about the man who cut down the tree that was used to make the grip on the pistol...blame him?

what about mother nature since she had her share in making the metals?

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Great Job!

Why stop there? I think we should blame the NRA twice --

Once for creating the atmosphere that lead to this man's posession of a gun.

Again for NOT doing ENOUGH to put guns into his victims' hands so that they could have defended themselves.

Let's also blame the company that makes whatever soft, fluffy pillows these peoples' heads were on, that made them sleep so soundly during the attacks.

Zip

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join