It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fecking DVD+/-R drive... im gonna switch to a PC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
So this great new iMac I bought, came with a SuperDrive! Now that it's 2 1/2 years later and I want to actually burn a DVD for a friend (no, nothing illegal) I try to and it just spins the DVD for a while and spits it out. Doesn't even appear on the desktop.

Then I check the apple website. It says I don't need the DVD+/-R firmware upgrade because my computers set to go. I try to install the program anyway because I know they're just BSing me and that doesn't even allow you to install it if your computer supposedly doesn't need it.

Then I check if it really is capable of burning 4x DVDs. Yes it is. So why isn't it working?!

I've had what, 4 or 5 problems now with my two macs over the course of a few months haven't I? I now know that Macs truly suck. America's army only plays at 15 FPS and I love that game!

Anyway I'm buying a PC next time I can raise enough money. Fecking macs, fecking dvd superdrives, fecking apple!!! :bnghd:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Diehard you have now seen the light.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
he he he

Bout time Diehard.

But to be fair and honest. Look around this forum. PC are not without issues also.

Just the parts and knowledge are cheaper.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Alright, someone else has left the Sith that is Mac and joined the Light of PC. ALso, when you get a pc, you can, get this, PLAY GAMES!!!!! I looked at my HL2 box, and it only works with a good computer, IE nothing Mac has. So, what you do, when you get the money, buy one, and a copy of Half Life 2, you will have to change pants after you have a Big O looking at the greatness of HL2.

To speed up proccess, sell the paperweight, and go to Dell Website. I got a 2.53ghz proc, 512meg ddr2 ram, network card, 56k modem, sound and vid built in later upgraded to a new vid card, a 48x cd burner and a 8x DvD burner with keyboard and optic mouse and a 80gig hd for under $240. It was a christmas deal, so not may be more or not as many stuff. I still feel weid without a A drive, no floppy drive means I have to use cds just to take a Fable Tip Guide over to a friends house who doesn't have an internet connection.("I have a cell phone, why do I need the internet?" was gonna smack him for that, but Devin is stronger then me and wins every fight)

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Hey James I really like the first sentence of your signature.

If I can get my hands on a slow-mo camera I'm going to set it up in my driveway and then toss my mac off of the roof. Then I'll send the vid to ebaums world or something

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Try to make a thread on Apple's support forums they might be able to help. discussions.info.apple.com...

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I'm going to set it up in my driveway and then toss my mac off of the roof.

We would prefer if you did this to it.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Forget Dell. Don't go with a mass-manufactured crappola machine. Dell makes good business machines. Thats it.

When you get enough money for a new comp go here

Take a bit of advice, build it yourself, don't let anyone else do it. You'll save money and have a better comp this way.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Does the drive work with CDs and other DVDs?

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Yes drive works with CD's and DVD's, and it burns CD's I've done it before, and I've burned DVD's before with it. I put this 4x DVD that it says it can handle in and it doesn't work, probably just an incompatable type or something I dunno.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It's probably just a bad disc then.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
We had the same problem at work..

Had to use Apple Branded DVD blanks...
Later we found that TDK also worked.
picky picky, them apples..

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Just download a trial of the dvd software and see if that works. I use Nero in burning cds etc, and I get no problems with that on PC. Also PCs are a lot cheaper parts, software wise...

For gaming purposes I would suggest an xbox360.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Oh yes, dells suck so much I got a kick ass comp for 240. I mean, a dvd burner, a cd burner, vid card that is DX 9 compatible and HL2 awsomeness, 512meg ddr2 ram, 80 gig hd, 2.53ghz proc, and all the other stuff that I have no idea what it means cause Jeff is the one who made it work/bought it with my money, such a bad computer. Mac charges how much just for a case?

Sardion, many people can't "build" the computer themselves, not all as great as Jeff or Shadow(Kevin). But thankfully Jeff is cheap, only had to buy the pc plus eat two habenero(hottest in the world) peppers to get xp, and uh, all the stuff he put on here.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The reason I said it sucks is because when you swap in parts that are not "Dell Certified" you better cross your fingers
Yes I know they are all ATX standard but Methinks Dell does something to the parts to make it not work that well with other 3rd party hardware manufacturers.

As for you building you comp yourself, it saves you money and you learn an invaluable skill. It's not as hard as it looks you know, it's mostly screw, plug, install and play. *shrug* not Brain Science ya know

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Wanna know why I needed the computer? I somehow destroyed my computer by installing a new cd-rom. It worked fine, got a cool cd-rom cd burner, open it up, put it in, go to turn the pc on, poof, nothing. Make sure it plugged in, the switchy thing on, and still nothing. Jeff looked at it, used one of his spare power supplies to see if that was it, and nope, it was the mobo and the proc and the hd, all three of them didn't work. I had done stuff before, I put in new/better ram chips, modems, vid card, HD, but then poof, it didn't work. I had unplugged it before I opened it up, destaticed myself, and yet poof, dead. So I spent 240 for a new pc far better then the one that I had.

Also, Jeff complained about the dell stuff not working with other things. He had to mod my vid card slot to put in a better card then the one that was built into the mobo. He had ordered one that was suppose to fit, but Dell comp service is in India, so they have no idea what they are doing and sent a wrong card, and instead of sending it back and playing russian roulete to see if the new one would fit, he just modded it so it would fit.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
You installed a CD-rom and it stopped working? That is odd. Very odd. Now I'm no expert but I am a fairly experienced DIY(Do it yourselfer) and cannot think what you could have done.....did you ground yourself before installing it? Static discharge is bad juju you know.

It's great having modders as friends isn't it. That's the next thing I'm gonna learn, how to make a Custom case outta my fishbowl with a MicroATX board(you know they go inside those cube cases).

But ya should really learn the skills yourself, by watching your buddy do his stuff. That's how I learned when I was young(well that and taking em apart and putting them back together again which reminds me my comp needs a good dusting out now)

Another thing you should be aware about is that comps need to be dusted out every other month Dust is an insulator and can cause hotspots to appear and damage the components. How many fans do you have in your comp? And what type of connectors do you use? Do you use the wide flat ones? They aren't the best to use in any Ghz comp.

[edit on 24-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
? I got two on the back, one on PS to cool it and one on rest, one on the side, and whatever are inside.

Jeff said the same thing. He couldn't believe how I did it. I wasn't lieing, I swear, I installed a cd-drive, and poof, all 3 fried. And es, I destaticed myself.

I know how to do somethings, like put in ram chips, HDs, vid cards, modems, whatever. But just that one time, poof.

He does the moding stuff too, how I got the fan on the side. He has one on each side of his, and lights, and a full glass case on his other pc, he turned a speaker box into a pc, hell, he has a computer in his car to run everything. Instead of pushing a button to turn the pc on, it turns the car on, keyboard for driving, radio, wipers, lights, trunk release, hood release, it's all illegal, why he made it so he can dissconnect it and drive regular in case of cops. His 300$ car has over 5000$ worth of modding done to it.

But his main thing is modding xboxes, paint, insides, software, so cool to see a orange and blue xbox.

EDIT: Connectors? to what?

[edit on 25-5-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

EDIT: Connectors? to what?

Your HD and CD-Rom cables. Are they flat or rounded? Rounded is ideal as it doesn't block Airflow,

Your buddy sounds like a Hardcore Modder, I hope to get that good eventually.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join