It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy or empathy or both?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
As to why Wicca did not suit me. It was not that I found it disturbing merely that it wasn't open to me. What I mean by this is two-fold. First, I was drawn to Wiccan reading material in my quest for knowledge. However, once I reached a certain point I had a sense of almost a complete shut out. I sometimes get these little, actually their a bit loud, voices or feelings about something or someone. I kept getting one that would tell me it wasn't time or it wasn't right. No matter how much I would push to study more, I couldn't grasp anything. All the reading I would do would slip right out of my mind. Rather bizarre for me as I am one of those people who retain information like crazy. So that was my first difficulty. (smallpeeps, here is an example of my experiences with those outside forces.) Secondly, any people I would meet who were into Wicca, not necessarily Wiccans themselves, were on the wrong path. So this sort of put me off that avenue by again making it in accessible.

As with any faith, it is the people who make it. Their ideals mold that religion. I don't think any religion is inherently wrong. It is merely concepts and ideals. It is that molding process in the minds of others that warp it into something perverse.

There is so much variety in the Wiccan ideologies that it is sort of absurd to accuse it of being destructive. Perhaps, there is some subset to a branch or some such thing that has members who are destructive, but words are just words.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Alexander Tau said: Anyone can learn a bit, how far you can go is a mix of talent and effort just like anything else. From my experience what has been described is someone with natural abilities that are not yet trained. Nothing in normal life prepares you for the impact, the 'it's me feeling this' that you can get from others. It brings confusion, and really just plain gets in the way of rational thought sometimes.

Very helpful and well said. I do agree that empathy is essentially part of the human being. Yes, like a muscle, we can build empathy up by simply trying to feel what others feel. Similarly, we can deaden it inside us by building walls between ourself and others.

I would say, however, that some people have this muscle already built way, way up. Also, some people have their empathic muscle totally atrophied. So my question would be: Is it nature or nurture that causes this condition? Really, the question becomes, "Why are some people born with no empathic sensors?" Is it conditioning?

I don't think these gifts are handed out equally, because we all have different purposes when we incarnate, or so it seems.

Ahh, I see your point of view a bit better now. I would not use the phrase 'handed out' because in any sort of pre-this life state I believe we would make our own choices. The area of pre-life is not one I have found of particular interest but I do see why people feel as they do about the concepts.

I wonder if this is true. I was trying to convey the idea that, just as people will huddle together for warmth as incarnated beings (families, religions, ideaologies, etc) so they may also huddle together as discarnate beings in the afterlife because it's no less lonely up there than it is down here. When one surrenders to a group, one gains some powers. Groups will always reward loyalty. The cost paid by that individual soul is a lack of soul-evolution, which eventually will cause retrogression in that soul, or so this idea goes. I personally do not believe the protection offered by groups helps that soul, in the larger view.

So you were not suggesting some direct actions by another human, or some other being in this case? That was my impression of what you said previously.

A group usually moves with one mind. I saw this as a youngster inside the Jehovah Witness cult. People will give their souls to a religion or idea in exchange for a comfortableness and sense of safety. The group-think seduction in the afterlife is equally powerful, I believe.

I am suggesting that souls who go to the afterlife may collect into a group entity and that souls who then choose to incarnate from this group entity may be purposefully gifted by that group. That does not mean, however, that the soul will remain loyal to the group when it incarnates. That's the nature of incarnation; We enter into a place where most souls/angels/spirits are not willing to go. They know that life down here is painful and disorienting.

Incarnation is only for the courageous or the confused, IMO.

---------------------------

Death isn't something that I have any hangups about. [...] What I do have a hangup with is, is the idea of a prolonged suffering. I do not believe that there is any way I can prepare myself for this eventuality so I am leaving it up to the whims of the universe.

Prolonged suffering in yourself or others? To rephrase it, would you have more fear for prolonged physical pain in your own body (like dying over a period of weeks due to a tumor or something), or a lifetime of feeling others' pain in this empathic manner. Which frightens you more, if I may ask?

As for my parents, my mom is empathic. But my parents are Baptists and that is were it ends for her. I have been trying to get her to do some exercises that might help her. She has become overwhelmed lately with the feelings of others. But it is hard to do so without offending her religious beliefs. Actually, it is more that I am afraid I will offend her than I actually do offend her.

Interesting. I would imagine that the Baptist portion locks her into a dichotomy involving the idea of hellfire/damnation. How can your mother integrate with her emapthic feelings when she worships a god who places his firey justice above empathy and mercy? That would confuse me, if I were a Baptist trying to deal with empathic feelings. It would drive me nuts, frankly.

I asked this question because it has been suggested that ESP traits are somehow also genetic. I don't know if this is true or not, but it could be part of the puzzle for you.

The idea that at the end of our life, we will be replayed on the VCR of God is sort of humorous and daunting at the same time. If we are pieces of the entity then when we reabsorb, all of our knowledge will be shared. I don't know why it would need to replayed.

I am not so sure that we just automatically receive total recall of our existence when we proceed to the afterlife. I think it's just as open as this life is, in a way. Sure, in the afterlife we have way more eyes with which to see, but is the picture of existence any less fuzzy up there? I would say no. I don't think souls ever get taken off the hook of their responsibility to themselves. I think that the God-force wants each soul to evolve, and evolution requires outside forces and challenges. The environment of our existence (on Earth or in the afterlife) challenges us and directs us into crisis-positions so that we can figure out how to solve it and thereby grow.

We are like children in that sense. We are relearning to tie our shoelaces with every incarnation and death. Some souls tie their shoelaces for eternity, whereas some souls move on to many other challenges.

smallpeeps, I am also wondering what you meant by the phrase in one of your earlier postings on "manipulation by others?" Could you please clarify that a bit. Thanks.

This statement is based on the premise that the spirit world can affect us when we are incarnated. That's what I mean by manipulation. If I were a low-level un-evolved spirit who spent his time thinking about lust, destruction and chaos, and if I wanted to derail an empathic saint, I would try to use their gift against them. I would try to influence their thoughts toward over-empathy, which would cause hopelessness and despair in that incarnate soul. This would require cooperation on the part of the incarnate target, but that's not hard to do when incarnation causes so much confusion in that incarnate mind.

As to why Wicca did not suit me. It was not that I found it disturbing merely that it wasn't open to me.

Interesting. It has been said that the Wicca system has its own Group Entity in the afterlife just like Catholics and everyone else. I have met Wiccans for whom it was the automatic and natural path. So long as it doesn't mutate into a cult or abusive situation, I think any religion or belief-system can work for a soul if they use it for advancement and not satiation. Wiccans, Baptists and Catholics alike are all free to achieve soul-evolution, IMO.

[edit on 13-6-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Adriane Tau-

I am very sorry that you were uncomfortable as a Christian with your healing gift. I guess I am putting myself in the empathic position. I feel so badly that Christians so misrepresent what Christ stood for and did...on your journey I hope that you may be able to re-unite with your faith being the wise person that you are, showing others the way.

Smallpeeps

You seem very insightful about what could be happening to the original poster. I am in agreement that sometimes we have to look at all sides of a situation and go from there.

Amarenelle
I am one of many reading your posts that are in the same arena as you but maybe off in a different corner. Truely going through this,is part of the knowing of the ALL.

Edit
Spelling) AGHHH!!!

[edit on 6/14/2005 by mercury19]

[edit on 6/14/2005 by mercury19]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
nature or nurture?

Well for myself, and everyone I have observed over the years, I put almost everything down to 90% nurture and 10% nature. The impact of the daily experiences a human has is so immense that it forms the vast majority of all influences on a person. This includes the influence we have on ourselves, which is even another order of magnitude higher over our total lifespan.

That 10%, the difference between really good, and Great.

A human's life once they pass the age of 10 or so is this gigantic web of experiences, thoughts, and actions. To trace the reason why an ability such as empathy emerges is the basis for about 100 hours of intense discussion. But like almost anything else the answers (note the s there, very important, nothing is simple) can be found if one looks long enough.

Now there is certainly room for influences that exist pre-life. I guess I just see them as more subtle than the barrage of emotions, and concepts we get from the people around us from the moment we are born.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
small peeps, your idea on over-empathy has made me do a little thinking. I know over-empathy to be a problem. It frequently leaves me drained and depressed for a few days. I have had experiences where it feels as though something or someone is trying to push negative thoughts on me. Another member has given me some advice on how to shore up my defences through imagery, and it has been successful. Hopefully if there is something behind the over-empathy, this will help.

Tangetially:
So frequently people are given advice to meditate. But that is sort of a blandishment. What should you visualize while meditating, or should you visualize at all? What are some of the best methods for reaching the point of true mediation? And if one is an energy worker, how is it done? Through imagery again?

I am asking these questions, not only for myself. I am asking for all those people who are going through something similar to what I am and don't have time to ask, or just don't want to put themselves out there.

And for those of you out there who may have some suggestion and don't wish to be identified in this spectrum, claim it is a quote from a book your sister read. Or U2U it to me with the express wish to keep your name out of it. However, if you U2U me something like "Place your feet in cow manure and say three times, roly-poly man's a holy moley." I am more than likely not gonna repeat it.
Or at least I will post a disclaimer.
There are quite a few people you could help here if you were to share your suggestions. Actually, some people here need a lot of help but I don't think this will do much good for them.
JK

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   

So frequently people are given advice to meditate. But that is sort of a blandishment. What should you visualize while meditating, or should you visualize at all? What are some of the best methods for reaching the point of true mediation? And if one is an energy worker, how is it done? Through imagery again?

First, very glad to hear, and feel, that things are going better for you.

Meditation is an important starting point, always has been, but in this time it is even more vital. To be able to really clear one's mind is something you only realize the importance of once you have done it.

It is however a multipurpose sort of tool, and can be used for a great deal of different things. It does not require talent, just effort. We are not taught how to communicate with our deeper selves, to listen to what we are trying to tell ourselves, meditation is a way to do that.

Visualization is a key, it is a way to focus. Words do not really do it, your deeper self does not communicate in words so you need to express your will in a way that is understandable to it. The question then becomes, as you have asked, what do I wish to say?

In the beginning for an energy-worker it is all about control, over yourself and your abilities. If you cannot control what you do then you cannot direct it as you should, you are like a shotgun spraying all over the place. Sure you may accomplish your intended goal, but you do so at the cost of many times the energy that is required. If you feel worn out more often than you should this is a sign that you are not focused.

What you need to do is to develop a set of images that make sense to you. If you could see the energy you use, what would it look like? There are no hard and fast rules but it cannot be forced. So what works for me might not work for you but I will give you an example of one I use.

I visualize that far above my head is a point of Light. This is Life, energy, that force which is what we are when the physical is gone.

Below me, far, far down, is another point, but this one is Black, non-existance, emptyness, nothingness.

A line runs from the Light to the Darkness, through me. Down goes the negative emotions, the pain, all the things that make life hard. From above comes Light, strength, and yes even Love.

When I am done I feel renewed, my sense of purpose, my reason for existance is reaffirmed. For a time nothing petty or evil can touch me because the feeling of all of you, everyone, everywhere, beats inside of me.

This is me, what I believe, what I feel, translated into visual form. My deeper self understands what I need and together we find it.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I have not given up my search (hopefully, never will)

I found this site in my recent huntings and thought that it is a good place for newbies and the newly interested to check out.
www.spiritrus.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This topic interests me quite alot, and i would call myself an empath. As yet i am nowhere advanced as the people on this thread, but im getting there.

Question for the empaths:

Would you say that you are more aware of situations around you and the earths general well being than people that do not have the empathic abilities?

Vox

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Would you say that you are more aware of situations around you and the earths general well being than people that do not have the empathic abilities?

In General, yes, i am,
there are a few people i know who are more aware, (my grandmother for one) but they're all in my immediate family

i'm one of those people who can close their eyes and know everything thats going on around me, (it helps when playing games like Capture the Flag
)
i suffer from really intense head-aches when i'm in a crowd, i've been seeking to control it for years now, but i've resorted to staying in and away from crowds where possible, i've started getting really intense periods of depression at certain times of the day, and this in turn is getting me depressed the rest of the time,

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

How could it be any other way?

All you have to do is walk through a crowd, any crowd, and you realize how many people struggle to exist. If you are not Empathic then it is easy to just focus on your own life and ignore what is around you. Since you do not feel what others are feeling you can live with yourself if you choose to do nothing about it. I certainly acknowledge that plenty of people without Empathy do help out others, but we have to, it is really not a choice.

For myself this need to help is so strong I have had to balance it with a strict Code that says I can offer, but unless the offer is accepted I can do nothing. What is good for one person may not be good for another, and if you ever start to think you know what is best for everyone you have a real problem.

The way I deal with it is to realize that what I can do does matter. For each person I help, or teach, I am affecting countless others over time. For they will in turn go out and live better, and reach out on their own to others. It is slow, but it is the only proper way.

This respect for the Free Will of others can be hard to understand. Someone just said to me the other day "So you can hold the power of the Universe in your hands and still be able to do nothing at all?" I said "Yes."

We can always lead by example, we can always offer, but it has to be up to the person themselves to accept the offer. To violate this is to set Chaos in motion, and the results are never good.

A.T
(-)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join