It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The conspiracy against the gods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I got this idea from another thread I was checking out. Someone said that the Bible never claims that God is the only deity in existence. This person went on to say that God is the TRUE deity, giving me the impression that many gods exist.

Since this person seemed to be a Christian, this thread is primarily directed to Christians. But, I don't discriminate
, so anyone else, feel free to respond. Is what this person said actually true? Are there as many gods as the various religious people of the world believe in? Could this offer an explanation as to why polytheism was so widespread earlier in history?

Oops, I forgot the conspiracy part.

Does this mean that the god of the Bible has been perpetuating a conspiracy against the other gods? Was the 1st commandment his way of turning people against the other gods? Does this suggest that he is about the same, power-wise, as the other gods becaue he couldn't just destroy them, thus guaranteeing (is that a word?
) that all would worship him?

[edit on 2-5-2005 by truthseeka]

[edit on 2-5-2005 by truthseeka]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This is stupid.

Quote your source.

Since this person seemed to be a Christian,

Quotes work better.

There are no other gods, only idols

Eze 20:39 As for you, O house of Israel, thus saith the Lord GOD; Go ye, serve ye every one his idols, and hereafter also, if ye will not hearken unto me: but pollute ye my holy name no more with your gifts, and with your idols.

Anything that you worship is your god. The Lord God is the only true God.
If you worship satan, then he is your god.
If you dont worship God, then satan is your god.

We know that satan is an angel, fallen from his natural state. Not a god.

This thread should be in BTS

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Thanks, Jake...for nothing.

I didn't quote the person because that person is a member here and I didn't want to put them on the spot.

I like how you just labelled atheists as Satanists. But wait, I thought atheists don't believe in a higher power? Only a mind like yours can comprehend this, I'm sure.

I guess you did answer my question, though. Anything that you worship is a god; therefore, there are multiple gods, huh? BTW, how do you know that your version of God is the one true God?

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997
This is stupid.

Why is this stupid? It actually is somewhat of a reasonable topic, and quite an interesting concept.

Anything that you worship is your god. The Lord God is the only true God.
If you worship satan, then he is your god.
If you dont worship God, then satan is your god.

This doesn't make any sense; if you don't worship a God, then how can anything be your God?

This thread should be in BTS

I don't agree with this; it's a somewhat viable and logical argument for a potential conspiracy in religion. The mods may have other ideas about the validity, but I think it's fine where it's at.

Anyways...

The way I personally have always looked at the way the Bible sets up things is that it all boils down to "Believe me, what I say, and no one else or you'll go to Hell." I've never looked at it from a spiritual stand-point, but moreso from a political view. It's a great way to get people to follow you: I have the Truth, and if you do what I tell you then you will know righteousness and be saved. As a political conspiracy it works wonders. As a spiritual one though...hmmmmmm....that is definitely a new spin. I appreciate the question you pose truthseeka; it will be worth turning over for a while

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Thanks for actually posting a good response, MCory1.

I haven't really thought about it as a political thing much, but the more you look at it, the more it seems that way. I got the same impression you got, with the "believe me or fry" bit. It's intimidating, sure, but effective.

Interesting that you always looked at it this way. Thinking about it now, it seems that there could be elements of both. It's like, the political thing comes first, to get the followers hooked on what you say. Who wants to fry in Hell if this person has a way out, but only if you believe them, right?
Then, after you're in, the spiritual stuff gradually soaks in. I dunno, that's just some thoughts off the top of my head.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Everything you hear or read about God is nothing more then someone elses opinion. No two people think the exact same thing about God so if you ask me, there are as many gods as there are people. If you count those that worship more then one God then the Gods far outnumber us mere mortals.

Personally, I'm a Spiritual Anarchist. This life has never been about religion or even about God, it's about you. You can decide to be a good and decent human being, making the world a better place and growing in the gift that is your life, or you can blindly follow the dogma of others and drown in the ignorance they force upon you.

Religion is spiritual slavery and only you hold the key to your emancipation. Trust in God, not in the teachings of man. God will not lead you wrong.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   

as posted by truthseeka
Does this mean that the god of the Bible has been perpetuating a conspiracy against the other gods?

This is your conspiracy angle?
That God is " perpetuating a conspiracy" among/with the "other" gods?
How about try the writers of the Old Testament, maybe.
Christianity is a monotheist religion, not polytheist.

The religious beliefs that prevailed during ancient times, as related to the ancient Israelites, were those of polytheists civilizations.
IMHO, I'm not seeing a true conspiracy here but one of a small group [the ancient Israelites] seeking to be different from the 'norm' of the times and instead of worshipping mulitple gods, chose to worship a One, Supreme God.

seekerof

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Abraham is considered the father of monotheism before him by bible accounts people worship many Gods.

As everybody knows Abraham is the link to the Jewish people with his son Issac and Judaism.

Judaism is the one of three Abrahamic religions based on pure monotheism.

Occurs people of the time was still worshiping their other Gods alone with the God of Abraham.

Moses became so frustrated with his people due to the worshiping of other Gods along with the God of Abraham that by bible accounts he was given the ten commandments to enforce the worshiping of one God and for people to have a set of laws to follow in the name of one God, and occurs control the people.

At the end with the birth of Christianity monotheism became the predominant way to worship.

And until this day is the only way by Christian standards.

[edit on 2-5-2005 by marg6043]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
To clarify something, I am not supporting this belief; all I was doing is repeating what someone here who seemed to be a Christian had posted. It caught my eye because I had never heard a Christian say this before. I was only wondering if other Christians agree with this view.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
jake, just because there is only one God you should worship doesn't mean there aren't more than one lesser dieties, that perhaps the one true God created. Doesn't it strike you odd that you call him the one TRUE God? Not saying I believe there are more Gods, just I am open to the possibility, or won't be totally shocked, once I reach heaven if such is the case.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Actually Ryanp555, you are not far from the truth, if you look at Christianity, they have Jesus as their main figure and then God, because in their believes they think is one.

But actually is two in my views.

Also you have the Catholic church with their assortment of deities in the name of saints and Virgins.

In Spanish countries like my island every town has its own saint, and is worshiped every year with "Fiestas Patronales" they last one week and people get to go out at night and enjoy festivities in the saints name.

Also many Catholic worship the Virgin Mary, and in Mexico is the Virgin of Guadalupe, we also have the Virgin of the Mercedes.

So just because is one God like you said many worship also deities under.

[edit on 2-5-2005 by marg6043]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Man, do I ever crave to live in Central America. It just seems so traditional, and holds true some values that we here in the US of A lack. Not saying I hate the US, I love it, but I just love traditions and values that aren't based around money, rather on heart.

But this has nothing to do with the thread, so I appologize for my little statement

[edit on 2-5-2005 by Ryanp5555]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Everything you hear or read about God is nothing more then someone elses opinion. No two people think the exact same thing about God so if you ask me, there are as many gods as there are people. If you count those that worship more then one God then the Gods far outnumber us mere mortals.

Personally, I'm a Spiritual Anarchist. This life has never been about religion or even about God, it's about you. You can decide to be a good and decent human being, making the world a better place and growing in the gift that is your life, or you can blindly follow the dogma of others and drown in the ignorance they force upon you.

Religion is spiritual slavery and only you hold the key to your emancipation. Trust in God, not in the teachings of man. God will not lead you wrong.

Love and light,

Wupy

Well said, homey!

I agree with everything you said, except for the last part. I dunno about religion being spiritual slavery, but I do feel you on the point that we should trust in God instead of the teachings of man. I am probably what you would call a deist or theist, but I don't follow organized religion.

Could you explain more what you mean about being a spiritual anarchist? I get the impression that we have relatively similar beliefs, but I couldn't have said it better myself that no two people have the same view on God.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
marge you and I finally agree on something.
But those lessor deities are not supported by the bible.
The RCC resembles the religion of the roman empire more then israel.

The difference is you call them christian, I do not because I cant find support for what they do in the bible.

Back when the jews did the same thing...and even set up statues inside the temple of ishtar and baal ...

Eze 36:22 "Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord GOD: It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations to which you came.

There was much that they did that they borrowed from their neighbors. They were no longer practicing Judaism. It was a mix. They were no longer keeping Gods word, they were making up traditions instead

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
Could you explain more what you mean about being a spiritual anarchist? I get the impression that we have relatively similar beliefs, but I couldn't have said it better myself that no two people have the same view on God.

Sure, heres a link I once put up on the subject:

The Conspiricy that IS religion

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
He's the only one. I asked any god to show themselves before I believed in anything, but He was the only one there. Don't believe me? I understand. Ask Him yourself.

[edit on 4-5-2005 by saint4God]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
However, all this does raise an interesting question that most have never really pondered.

Where did God originate or come from?

What also really discourages me is that many Christians are so caught up in their religion that they are so afraid to make a move on anything in FEAR of offending God. I know a couple who are miserable for FEAR of offending the Lord. It is really sad to see for they become easily discouraged. One asks them what is wrong, and....

God did not put us here to live in FEAR of him, and not be able to enjoy ourselves within the proper realm. God I fear not. The teachings of God by man I FEAR!!

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseekaDoes this mean that the god of the Bible has been perpetuating a conspiracy against the other gods? Was the 1st commandment his way of turning people against the other gods? Does this suggest that he is about the same, power-wise, as the other gods becaue he couldn't just destroy them, thus guaranteeing (is that a word?
) that all would worship him?
You might say it was the God of The Bible perpetuating the conspiracy, but evidence points elsewhere...to Moses and his father-in-law who, seeing Moses judging the people one at a a time on a daily basis, advises him to teach them new laws and ordinances. So Moses trudges up into the mountain and returns with exactly what Jethro suggested. These were in fact nothing more than a constitution and enforced under the guise of one god not several.

It took a very long time for Israel to finally accept just one god, which one notices if they pay attention to the progression of the Israelites. Contrary to what most believe was the underlying reason for the Exodus; God's pact with Abraham, the two part conspiracy lies in the fact that thousands of the pilgrims left Egypt as polytheists and continued to be polytheists until Moses slaughtered them all. Even then the belief kept surfacing from those days well into the days of Isaiah. Abraham obviously did not do a very good Job of fostering a one god philosophy. Moses' God did not state that he was the one and only god, in fact, he supposedly told Moses that he was the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, so what happened to Noah and even Adam's god? Further, the commandment states that he is "thy God which brought thee out of the land of Egypt;" in other words, the God Moses worshipped. He clearly stated that "thou shalt have no other gods before me, not that there are no other gods but me. he demanded they not serve other gods, where other gods cannot be served if they do not exist, and claimed to be jealous of what idols?

The second conspiracy is in how the story was relayed throughout the centuries, which suggests that these people were slaves in Egypt numbering in the tens of thousands and when pharoah decided to give them leave, their Egyptian masters and neighbours willingly "lent" them hordes of gold, silver, precious gems, utensils, and farm animals. Where exactly were these slaves housed that they had Egyptian neighbours, and why would God grant the Egyptians favour to do this, but play hard and fast with pharoah? On top of which, the Israelites melted all the gold and silver and turned them into articles honouring God by his command, never to return these goods. (There is an interesting story about this concerning a trial during Roman times.)

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I made the statement one day that God put me on this planet to make or have others question. I was told that I was saying that made me "above" everyone else!!

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater
God did not put us here to live in FEAR of him, and not be able to enjoy ourselves within the proper realm. God I fear not. The teachings of God by man I FEAR!!

Fear is the path to the dark side..

I understand what you mean.. I'm fine with any religion so long as it doesn't nurture hate.. fear certainly does not inspire love and compassion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join