It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus Was No GOP Lobbyist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I just read this excellent article from the LA Times discussing Jesus, today's GOP and the big rally the Christian right-wing just had demonizing the Democrats over judges.

They claim that Christians are being persecuted.
I'm a Christian. My faith is not under assault.

It's retarded. Ridiculous. Specious. And downright dishonest. These charlatans should be laughed off the political stage.

I betcha money at least half of today's so-called Christians wouldn't know Jesus - their supposed savior - if he came to them personally. (Of course he'd probly be sneaky about it, like in the form of a beggar or some such guise.) The article makes an excellent point. These right-wing groups want the ten commandments posted everywhere (which I personally don't have a problem with), but they never ever mention the Beattitudes - which is the New Testament's (under the new doctrine of grace) equivalent of the commandments. That speaks volumes for today's "champions of Christ." That would entail having to actually examine what their Lord actually said. Most of them would reject him in human form as a freak and a radical - based on his own words and actions. But then again, most of them are complete frauds.

As a Christian, I say KEEP CHURCH AND GOVERNMENT SEPARATE. It's the only fair way to govern - not to mention the actual constitutional way.

Jesus Was No GOP Lobbyist
By Jack Hitt
The Los Angeles Times

Tuesday 26 April 2005

A tortured version of his message is being marketed for political gain.
What would Jesus filibuster? The question is bizarre, of course, but the fact that many prominent religious and political leaders believe that there is an answer surely marks our time as pretty strange.

How quickly it has all happened - that the media, particularly television, has convinced itself that Christianity is little more than a Republican political action committee. When the pope died, CNN's Wolf Blitzer introduced former Clinton aide Paul Begala and right-wing pundit Robert Novak this way: "Bob is a good Catholic; I'm not so sure about Paul Begala." At the bottom of the screen, CNN ran an informative factoid for the audience: "Many Catholic doctrines are conservative."

Broadcast media prefer to cast Christianity in the role of "right-wing values PAC" because it's so neat and tidy. They don't much like even to say the name Jesus on air because then we might have to talk about his ideas. "Evangelical Christianity" is much simpler because you can treat it as just another special-interest group, like the Teamsters or the neocons.

Leaders such as Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and James Dobson have used the media to redefine Christianity as the "Republican base" - all between commercials hawking family-values videotapes or pleading for more contributions.
www.truthout.org...

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This topic is already discussed here politics.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry ECK, but I got the jump on this. Yep, the poor majority being persecuted because they can't kill someone for eating meat on a friday, poor them.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
No, He wasn't, and isn't. Both sides have created this concept that Christians are conservative. It's just not true. Polls have shown that Christians were as split on the presidential election as everyone else in this great nation was.

Jesus's focus was not on politics of the day ("Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's"), but on religious matters. Both major parties in America have done wonders to cause this concept of religious politics. The Republicans have never been afraid to state that they're religious, and even have some prominant evangelicals on staff. At the same time, the Democrats will say they're religious. However, when it comes out, they say something like, "I'm a Christian, but" and try to hide any symbol of Christianity from view of the public.

Also, while the Religious Right was a term coined by the Republicans, the Democrats have managed to demonize it. With all the rants against "the religious right", it causes people of faith to feel they're not welcome in that party. They feel they have to choose between their faith and their politics, if they're a liberal. When that happens, you get people joining the Republicans or just becoming disenfranchised with American politics if they choose their faith over their politics. Then, on the other note, the people who choose their politics over their faith start to consider themselves a "Christian, but" instead of just a Christian.

The Republicans set out to create this rift, and the Democrats have played right into their hands. It's really too bad, because people of all political persuasions can be Christians, and Christians can be of all political persuasions.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The way the Republicans are sounding these days, with all this "they're persecuting us" nonsense, I don't see how anyone would be drawn to the party. They're sounding more and more shrill and unhinged by the day.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Besides, if Jesus were alive today, and did the same thing he did in those days... associating with tax collectors and a prostitute, to show how you have to love everyone... preaching peace and forgiveness... himself forgiving criminals... today's supposedly-Christian conservatives would condemn him and deny him, not doubt about it.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Whats the GOP or PAC?

Oh....

Jesus was a hippy....bet the right love that!

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Jesus was all about outreach and calling the hypocrits on their hypocrisy. Outreach meant getting down with 'least among us.' Telling the truth! Going out and being with the sinners. He said basically, why would a doctor hang out with those who are well?
As I said before, if Jesus were around today, you wouldn't catch him hanging out at the country club or in some nice gated community. He'd be helping out at the soup kitchen, running meals on wheels, visiting & comforting the sick and addicted and preaching to the homeless. Today's GOP/Christian right have totally lost sight of that reality.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Well, I'll tell you what--if Bush actually obeyed God, he wouldn't be conducting an illegal, unconstitutional war based on lies. He'd obey the Constitution (God gave us governments--and ALL have to play by the rules).

I voted for a Christian candidate--and it sure wasn't Bush. It was Peroutka.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Back in 2000 I was so disgusted by 8 long years of Clinton PC BS, I wouldn't even contemplate voting for Gore. I didn't dislike him personally, per se; but, just the fact that he was a Democrat and associated with Clinton made him unacceptable.

In a TV interview I had heard George W. say he had accepted Jesus Christ as his savior and it changed his life. I took him on his word. So few leaders ever come out and say that, so it was nice to hear. Back then I was a very staunch conservative and voting for him in that election was a no-brainer.

The unfortunate thing is I got fooled. Fooled by the worst sort. The wolf in sheep's clothing. He seemed like an affable, capable enough guy who seemed to share my faith and realist politics. But I have learned in the years since, he is anything but what I thought he was. There is nothing more wicked than a man who could look you in the eyes and decieve in the ways he has. To claim to know the Lord, to use Him for political gain, and then to turn around and push the abominable agenda/policies he has, is sacreligious. Worse, he has allowed his presidency to be co-opted by ideologues who have gotten us into an illegal war of aggression and who have basically destroyed our once-great reputation and legitimacy around the world.

And Abu Ghraib... sanctioning the policy of torture. There has never been a more wicked US administration in my entire life. LBJ, Nixon and the boys would be proud...

George W. Bush can say he's a Christian all he wants. He can say it till the heavens fall. But that will never make it true.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
Well, I'll tell you what--if Bush actually obeyed God, he wouldn't be conducting an illegal, unconstitutional war based on lies. He'd obey the Constitution (God gave us governments--and ALL have to play by the rules).

Also, what does this say about all those Christians who blindly support him?

top topics

join