It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic Pads for Climbing Metal Surfaces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Hello, this is my first post, so don't rip to to shreds totally
I'm sure all of us have at some time thought 'God, it would be awesome if people could use magnets to climb up walls', or something to that effect. However, i just assumed that although, the technology was (possibly) there, noone was using it, or had made any such device.
However, i was reading a book about the British SAS and their involvement in Iraq. It was talking about a group assualt between the special forces of America, Britain, and Poland. Basically, they were taking control of oil platforms on the gulf. Just after listing their equipment, the book reads, 'Scaling the legs of the platform using ropes and magnetic pads that enabled them to climb hand-over-hand, the Poles reached the top of the platform's legs...' ('Midnight in some burning town' 190).
This is the only mention made of the pads in the entire book. I have not been able to find any information about 'magnetic pads'. I was wondering if anyone out there knew anything about these amazing sounding devices.? If anyone does, a reply would be very appreciated.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
What's so amazing about them? Its probably an electromagnetic pad turned on and off by the climber so he can move. Kind of like controlled suction pads that allow humans to scale buildings, and walls..

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I think what would be amazing about them would be the ability to generate a strong magnetic field with a lightweight power supply. I'd have to look into it a little more but my gut instinct is that to generate fields strong enough to hold a man, the batteries required to power the electromagnets would be at least as heavy as the man's own weight. I'm not sure a battery can be used to create a magnetic field strong enogh to lift the battery and elctromagnet, let alone additional weight.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
What's so amazing about them? Its probably an electromagnetic pad turned on and off by the climber so he can move. Kind of like controlled suction pads that allow humans to scale buildings, and walls..

As the next person pointed out (sorry, forgot your name), there is the power issue. That is what made me go 'whaaa?' I know this sort of thing is possible, i just wonder how something could be made so small and powerful that it could be used like this. The special forces would haave been carrying a lot of equipment; this means 1) that the devices would have had to be quite small, and 2) they would have to be capable of carrying the weight of the soldiers and their equipment. Damn...i need to see a picture of this thing.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
www.spiderclimbing.com...

tada! Goo0.0ogle

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   
'Using the super strength of rare earth metals and modern engineering, the Spider Climbing gear clings securely to special wall panels.' - www.spiderclimbing.com...
You need a special wall for that. Though, thanks for looking into it
. I did orignally google it, but was unable to find anything. I still think this site is my best bet.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
they have that in the video game metroid prime and the 2nd one echoes...there are spider ball magnetic tracks in the game and u roll up the walls on the tracks..definitely a kool idea

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Suction technology is much more versatile than magnetic climbing gear.

Suction cups are used by various human flies, who scale tall buildings, sometimes in the nude, to make a public spectacle.

They can latch easily onto glass and plastic, as well as metal.

If you're going to go climbing, I suggest suction cups rather than magnets.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I would have to agree that suction cup technology would be your best bet, example, lets say you're scaling something with these magnetic pads and you get half way up and your batteries die, that's a long fall. With suction cups pretty much the only thing that's gonna screw ya over is operator error.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I know some of you think this is a bit outside, but I have seen this equipment and it is incredible stuff. The company only sells to the public with the "so called" special walls as a way to handle the liability issues. But they actually started by climbing local water towers! I think that ended when the police took an interest. When I spoke with them at a science conference, it was reported that they were testing new versions that would be for miltary use. The gear is capable of climbing up the side of a tanker ship or any other ferrous metal structure. The wall they sell is just painted steel plate. They were climbing all over it, upside down and everything. I must say it looked like quite a workout.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I forgot to add that they were "not" electromagnetic. Also Suction cups?? They'll only work if you have a complete sealable surface like glass. That's basic physics, atmospheric pressure has to be maintained outside the suction cup to work. Break the seal....you fall!

The physics behind the magnetic climbing equipment is facsinating. They use the vectors of the forces in conjunction with the magnetic field and friction coeffient.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CatchersCan
I forgot to add that they were "not" electromagnetic. Also Suction cups?? They'll only work if you have a complete sealable surface like glass. That's basic physics, atmospheric pressure has to be maintained outside the suction cup to work. Break the seal....you fall!

The physics behind the magnetic climbing equipment is facsinating. They use the vectors of the forces in conjunction with the magnetic field and friction coeffient.

Thanks CatchersCan

Damn, they sound so awesome. I had no idea the 'special wall' was just painted metal, that's hilarious! I want a pair!

So you say they aren't electromagnetic?...well that's good i guess. Imagine what an EMP could do to someone using a pair to scale a building

It's gadgets like these that restore my faith in sciene. Now, imagine those pads were to be incorporated into one of those exoskelton prototypes...I'd be unstoppable!

How long ago did you speak with representatives at the science conference? If it was a while ago the military might already be using their versions of these?

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I think it was back in November. Nope it's definately not electromagnetic. it also not just one big huge magnet. They use a bunch of little ones in a special configuration that are custom made and then super charged. It really very cool. Because when the gear engages the wall surface and you step down on it, it's rock solid. But if you just lift your knee or twist out your foot at the toes or heel, it pops right off. It's the same with the gloves. I was able to hang by both hands, like trying to do a pull-up, and then I stood up and they just peeled right off.

At the time, someone in their company was talking to the coast guard about being able to climb up the side of a ship. But who knows....

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
New vertical wall video posted. Take the time to download the broadband link and wait through the training junk. This looks pretty awesome...

www.spiderclimbing.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I suspect magnetic pads only work on metal surfaces. Try climbing a brick wall or a cliff face and you might need another approach.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
For everyone here questioning how much it takes to power a magnetic field stron enough to hold a person, The answer is a D cell battery. Some physicists from NAIT came to our school and demonstrated an electro magnet tht with a D cell and a switch, couldnt be pulled aprt by several people. Technology is so advanced these days.

new topics

top topics

join