It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

somebody gimme a name and picture of this F-15

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
There was one F-15 model where they added Thrust vectoring to it and Canards and stuff. Can someone tell me what it was called and give me a picture of it

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
F-15 ACTIVE
F-15ACTIVE
NASA Dryden F-15 ACTIVE
F-15 ACTIVE

seekerof

[edit on 23-4-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Yeah, thats the one, but they just wanted to develope the F-22 and JSF intead, they scrapped the "Super Tomcat" project too.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
That ACTIVE is pretty sexy looking, I wonder what it would look like with camo rather than funky stripes...

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Yeah, the striped camo is a pain to the eyes, and also, the canards look very rectangular in shape, if you know what I mean.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I can understand why they scraped the F-15 Active to go for the Raptor but I'm sad the Super Tomcat was cancelled too

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Yeah, the Tomcat was the pride of the USAF...well...not really, but it is basically a symbol of the USAF/USN. After all, it looks sexy and mean, and if a movie requires military planes, they will probably get the F-14.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
You must mean only the USN, since the USAF did not fly the Tomcat

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
One Air force used them but they werent American AF

Imperial Iranian Air Force

Oh BTW That F-15 Active looks sweeeet.

[edit on 24-4-2005 by S1LV3R4D0]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Canards and thrust vectoring... that's exactly what they did to the Su-27 to make the Su-37. What a coincidence.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantompatriot
...Can someone tell me what it was called ...

It was known to it's friends as Harold, I believe...

Sorry, it is Monday and I have not taken my medication yet!!

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
There is a delusion on this thread that the F-15ACTIVE was abandoned in favour of the F-22 etc. This is absolutely NOT the case. The F-15 ACTIVE was never intended as a service fighter at all. It was an experimental programme into fighter control and agility and the technologies it explored were all ones that were being considered for future US fighters, ATF among them.

It is parallel and equivalent to other similar 1980's programmes based on older types both in the US and overseas such as the Rockwell HiMAT (USA) F-16CCV (USA) Mitsubishi F-1CCV (Japan) MBB F-104CCV (Germany) and ACT Jaguar (UK) all of wich were configuration and control experiments for future all new designs, not intended for service.

[edit on 25-4-2005 by waynos]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Ah, well ok then. Anyway, most people still subconsiously believe that the F-14 is flown by the USAF. People who know nothing about military aviation.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I knew it was the F-15 active but i wanted the actual designation which is F-15S/MTD

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantompatriot
I knew it was the F-15 active but i wanted the actual designation which is F-15S/MTD

Where does this designation come from and what does it stand for? Every source I have seen refers only to 'F-15ACTIVE' even NASA's own site only carries that designation so I'm curious.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Its ok I did a search. 'Short take off/Manoevre Technology Demonstrator.

Actually every single site I found that showed that designation was either Japanese or Russian, kinda tells me that it wasn't really called that at all. F-15 ACTIVE is however official.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
i watched a video on it and it reffered to it as F15S/MTD but apparently F-15 Active is official and F15S/MTD is something unofficial.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Oh... it was an experimental project to test out new and multiple systems and tech, I guess it makes sense now, that NASA was doing it.
I’m curious to see some specs of its performance if anyone can find them.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Oh... it was an experimental project to test out new and multiple systems and tech, I guess it makes sense now, that NASA was doing it.

the maneuverability was incomprehendable almost .

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

the maneuverability was incomprehendable almost .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join