It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-15ACTIVE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I have only recently heard of this plane, ahs anyone else heard of it and if so could you tell me a little about iit,like capabilities. I would get a picture but i dont know how.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I'd never heard of it, and there's nothing on the Boeing IDS (Integrated Defense Systems) site when I did a search.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I would guess, Maybe F-15 + AESA?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
i know it exists because if you do a google search of F-15 ACTIVE you can get real pictures of it.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
www.dfrc.nasa.gov...

here is a link to pictures of it....

[edit on 22-11-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyTheBear
I have only recently heard of this plane, ahs anyone else heard of it and if so could you tell me a little about iit,like capabilities. I would get a picture but i dont know how.
This was a technology demonstrator and development platform for various TCV systems, etc.

From NASA Dryden
The ACTIVE aircraft is a modified F-15, originally built by McDonnell Douglas in 1971 as the first two-seat F-15 or TF-15A #1. In the late 80's, F/A-18 stabilators were added as canards along with F100-220 engines, pitch (2D) thrust vectoring/thrust reversing nozzles, stregthened landing gear and a quad-digital fly-by-wire flight control system for use in the USAF STOL/MTD (Short Takeoff & Landing/Maneuver Technology Demonstrator) program.

When NASA acquired the aircraft in 1993, F100-229 engines with Pitch/Yaw (3D) thrust vectoring nozzles were added.

[edit on 22-11-2004 by engineer]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
F-15 Active is a Upgraded F-15 with new avionics and computers and all that, plus it has thrust vectoring like the F-22, also has canards right behind the cockpit. Not sure if it has new engines though.

The plane is just a concept plane, for now at least, if for some reason they needed too keep the F-15's now and upgrade them then that would be a good route too go. I'm sure it would give these other next gerneration fighters a run for their money still.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
That's a neat airplane, and I didn't know anything about it at all.

But like my colleague said, it was a technology demonstrator with a whole bunch of things added to see what would work.

I gather thatthe idea of canards seemed not to have panned out, since the newer generations of aircraft haven't incorporated them (at least, not here in the US).

The fly-by-wire and the replacement of the original steam gauges with a glass cockpit -- obviously that's caught on, since even the re-manned Lockheed C-130s (being done by Boeing, by the way) have glass cockpits.

[edit on 22-11-2004 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I'm afraid that the F15 Active isn't (or at least wasn't the last I heard) any kind of new develpment that may see production. It was purely an experimental NASA backed project to explore control methods for damaged aircraft. I believe that the project stemmed from an F15 that managed to recover to base safely after loosing the best part of an entire wing. This set people thinking about how modern flight control computers might be able to save otherwise doomed aircraft and the Active was simply a project to explore what kind of systems could be developed to achieve this.

The canards are simply modified tailplanes bolted on to the front of the aircraft, and the idea was to see how a digital flight control system could allow a pilot to achieve controlled flight using all available control surfaces plus engine thrust to retain control of an otherwise mortally damaged aircraft that has lost one or more of its normal flight control surfaces.

It certainly was never claimed to be any kind of combat capability enhancement or development. A very interesting project in its own right though in my opinion, which demostrated with some degree of success that digital flight control systems could compensate reasonably well for the loss of traditional elements.

In a sense I guess it proved the claim that digital fly by wire systems could keep a grand piano in the air if the software is good enough. But hey, anyone who knows much about the Eurofighter Typhoon's total lack of conventional aerodynamics could back that theory up.

Very smart piece of engineering the F15 Active. Very smart indeed.

E_T

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badger
In a sense I guess it proved the claim that digital fly by wire systems could keep a grand piano in the air if the software is good enough...
And if there's enough thrust.

Research flights with the F-15 HIDEC began in the summer of 1990 on a program to optimize total aircraft engine performance during steady-state engine operation
Several accidents in which part or all of an aircraft's flight control system was lost prompted Dryden to establish a research program to investigate the capability of a "propulsion controlled aircraft" (PCA), using only engine thrust for flight control.

The NASA F-15 was modified to serve as the first-ever aircraft to intentionally demonstrate this PCA capability.

Initial flight studies with the pilot manually controlling the throttles and all F-15 flight controls locked showed that it was possible to maintain gross control. Altitude could be maintained within a few hundred feet using both throttles together. To climb, thrust would be added; to descend, thrust would be reduced. Heading could be controlled to within a few degrees, using differential throttle to generate yaw, which resulted in roll.

These initial flights also showed there was not enough precise flight control capability to land on a runway. This was due to the small control forces and moments of engine thrust, difficulty in controlling the airplane's shallow dive and climb motion, and difficulty in compensating for the lag in engine response.
www.dfrc.nasa.gov...
With thrust vectoring that would propably work well.

But F-15 ACTIVE is different project.
www.dfrc.nasa.gov...
www.dfrc.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

join