It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

somebody gimme a name and picture of this F-15

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
hah! shameless bump on this so old thread .. lol

here's some info on the F-15 ACTIVE (S\MTD) that i posted on another thread

here's what they thought it would look like in camo (grayscale pic)

oops .. almost forgot the vid

[edit on 26-4-2007 by toreishi]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos

Originally posted by phantompatriot
I knew it was the F-15 active but i wanted the actual designation which is F-15S/MTD

Where does this designation come from and what does it stand for? Every source I have seen refers only to 'F-15ACTIVE' even NASA's own site only carries that designation so I'm curious.

The F-15S/MTD (Short Takeoff and Landing/Maneuver Technology Demonstrator) was the first of three projects using this aircraft. This same aircraft would later be used in the F-15 ACTIVE (Advanced Control Technology for Integrated Vehicles) program from 1993-1999 and the F-15 IFCS (Intelligent Flight Control System) program in 2002.

Here is a webpage about it

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantompatriot
i watched a video on it and it reffered to it as F15S/MTD but apparently F-15 Active is official and F15S/MTD is something unofficial.

There are two versions: The first is F-15 S/MTD (STOL (Short Takeoff and Landing) / Maneuver Technology Demonstrator) who had 2D thrust vectoring, working only in the vertical axis (the nozzels have rectangular shape)

f104.ath.cx...

The second version is F-15 ACTIVE (Advanced Control Technology for Integrated Vehicles), who has 3D thrust vectoring, working in all angles (the nozzels have round shape).

en.wikipedia.org...:F-15-vector.jpg

As a comparison, the russian equivalent of the Eagle, the SU-27, has the following versions with thrust vectoring : Su-37 "Flanker-F", Su-30MKI "Flanker-H", Su-30MKM "Flanker-H", who have only 2D thrust vectoring.

edit on 4-6-2011 by kondor because: type error

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
two versions indeed but only one aircraft,

This same aircraft would later be used in the F-15 ACTIVE (Advanced Control Technology for Integrated Vehicles) from 1993–1999, and later in the Intelligent Flight Control System programs from 1999 to 2008. With the help of thrust vectoring nozzles, this aircraft can perform the famous Pugachev's Cobra maneuver.

Linky

top topics

<< 1   >>

join