It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PBS Under Attack By Conservatives?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Republican appointees to the commision that governs the Public Broadcasting System have started to implement changes aimed at promoting fair and balanced reporting at PBS - long acknowledged as having a very liberal slant even though it was being financed with taxpayer's money.

PBS Article (may require free registration)

Partial article:

PBS Scrutiny Raises Political Antennas

By Paul Farhi
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, April 22, 2005; Page C01

Liberal commentator Bill Moyers is out on PBS stations. Buster the animated rabbit is under a cloud of suspicion. And right-wing yakkers from the Wall Street Journal editorial page have been handed their own public-television chat show.

Some observers, including people inside the Public Broadcasting Service, see these recent developments as troubling. PBS, they say, is being forced to toe a more conservative line in its programming by the Republican-dominated agency that provides about $30 million in federal funds to the Alexandria-based service.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Its about damn time

That has been the most liberaly biased station on TV for years.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Its about damn time

That has been the most liberaly biased station on TV for years.

Damn "Sesame Street" and it's "tolerance" BS! LOL

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Amazing, we have to got with the ruling majority, actually I care Less for PBS, I pay for my liberal channels.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I really think Big Bird and George W. Bush have a lot in common... hmmm

Makes you wonder.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Aside from the fact that making a Public Broadcasting Station another arm of propaganda for your political party being criminal, I say that we make two PBS's, one having a purple flag with decorators commenting on political events, showing evolution theory, and discussing world cultures (liberal). And then the occasional bashing of Religion with Bill Maher saying, "If you have a brain, use it and don't let religion abuse it."

The other (Conservative) PBS channel should have Jerry Falwell attacking the Liberal PBS programming heresy proclaiming as he has on CNN, "If you understand plumbing, then you'll understand its a morality problem." As we listen to a panel of experts with Bill O'Reilly, Brit Hume, and other debate whether his statement on Plumbing is correct while they all wear American flags attached at the neck as though it is being worn by King's.

And then there should be a contribution-only channel that discusses REAL issues and citizens can happily make a tax-deductible contribution to it and all monetary contributors can give input on the programming of the channel, that way everyone is happy.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Whats next, re-examining school textbooks to teach kids to rat on their parents if they disapprove of creation theory and the policies of GWB?

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enigmatic_Messiah
Aside from the fact that making a Public Broadcasting Station another arm of propaganda for your political party being criminal, I say that we make two PBS's,

How about this, do away with pbs all together. I can think of 101 different things that my money could go to and actually help people. Typical leftist response, all about fighting the man but can only come up with ways to increase his power, more of your money to tell you what to think. Never give money to the govt. to report the news! Put it back in your pocket and choose for youself.

Fact is there are plenty of news and education channels now a days that just plain do it better. Can pbs all together. I think I'll survive without the "sometimes" cookie monster.

Govt. funded education and news channel, no thanks.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by notbuynit
Typical leftist response, all about fighting the man but can only come up with ways to increase his power.

Typical Rightest response, all about rewarding criminality with abolishing the ways to be criminal. (removing pbs)

Also, did you read furthur down my response to this:

And then there should be a contribution-only channel that discusses REAL issues and citizens can happily make a tax-deductible contribution to it and all monetary contributors can give input on the programming of the channel, that way everyone is happy.

[edit on 22-4-2005 by Enigmatic_Messiah]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Can you imagine the hoots and howls if the government funded FOX News? However, it's just fine to liberals that NPR and PBS is funded by the government and spews forth the most liberal biased news by any American news source.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Can you imagine the hoots and howls if the government funded FOX News?

If they funded the same amount to CNN (my fav), i'd be happy with it.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
If you don't like PBS, don't send them money. If you don't want your children watching it, don't let them

I grew up on Sesame street. It is a quality, wholesome program. I was NOT pleased when the news came out the Postcards from Buster was going to have a lesbian couple on it. NOT that I am homophobic, but because my kids, at age 4 are not old enough to understand and there is NO REASON to bring that up at this time.

So, the piddly little donations I have sent over the years just won't be sent. Doubt they will hurt from my little tiny donation not being sent. I screen TV fairly closely and not everything they watch is educational. I draw the line at most anything on Cartoon network(is that really for kids??) and a couple of other shows.

Vote with turning the channel. Vote with not donating. Yes, it is liberal and getting moreso. I don't listen to the news off of PBS mainly because it is drier than burnt toast.

Maybe the government should just get out of funding news altogether

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by llpoolej
I screen TV fairly closely and not everything they watch is educational. I draw the line at most anything on Cartoon network(is that really for kids??) and a couple of other shows.

LOL! I used to think the Cartoon network was for kids also, it gets really raunchy at night on Cartoon Network!

Other than that, I commend you with two thumbs up for being an exceptional parent. (
:up

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Governments shouldnt run or fund media outlets wheather its PBS or Foxnews.
Why would Republicans need to ensure PBS tows the line when Fox News dose a pretty good job of it alreadly?

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It seems to me that NPR and to a lesser degree PBS just does not offer the full spectrum of views that I would expect from public broadcasting. The majority of the programs are fine but when it comes to political/social views, to me it seems that there is gap in the amount of material from the conservative side when it comes to shows and interviews. To claim that PBS is "under attack by Conservatives" just further proves my point. What is wrong with hearing equal coverage from the Left, Center and Right when it comes to issues? Why are people afraid of hearing other's viewpoints and then basing their own viewpoint on research that they conduct on their own as well as "what they heard on TV/Radio" ?
One-sided dialogue is not much of a debate of ideas.
Just My Opinion.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The majority of PBS broadcasting is NOT news. It's social, arts, educational and documentary programming with little bias, liberal or conservative. What little reporting occurs DOES have a massive liberal slant, the majority of the programing should be unaffected.

DE

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by notbuynit
[

You have voted notbuynit for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
What would one expect?

Ignorant people are going to support enlightened intelligent programming?

No, Ignorant people want brain-dead stupidity increased and all lights of brightness and intelligence to be stamped out immediately.

Conservative people want to conserve ignorance.
Conserve stupidity.
Conserve Dogma.
Conserve Superstition.

Don't be curious and DARE to ask questions about the world you live in.

Accept everything on blind faith.

Like instant coffee, have all your thinking done for you. Only listen the what you preacher is telling you, he has a direct line to God doen't he? Are there really other perspectives out there?

Take note, the majority of PBS funding comes from viewers, maybe cutting the government ties altogether may cause hardships, but could be worth it in the long run.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
If I had any votes left for above top secret award, I'd vote for slank.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
What would one expect?

Ignorant people are going to support enlightened intelligent programming?

No, Ignorant people want brain-dead stupidity increased and all lights of brightness and intelligence to be stamped out immediately.

Conservative people want to conserve ignorance.
Conserve stupidity.
Conserve Dogma.
Conserve Superstition.

Don't be curious and DARE to ask questions about the world you live in.

Accept everything on blind faith.

Sigh, this is what I am talking about. Why the name calling and belittling of others? Not very "enlightened" now is it? Should not a person be able to listen to what others have to say, be able to disagree with them without sometimes without being the focal point of someones anger for not agreeing with the other persons views? I really don't see what's is so hard with that. Please explain why this can't occur without the usual tirades happening.

Thank You

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join