It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PBS Under Attack By Conservatives?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Why is this issue a right left thing and not a corporate vs public debate?

Don't we already have enough programming beamed into our heads produced by large multinational conglomerates and defense contractors?

PBS is supposed to be the last bastion of corporate free and commercial free (the reason ALL programming exists on other stations!) programming.

And because of the fanatical divide people can't see that the conspiracy here is that the corporations and influential money people (political and business) are taking over the last place that CAN criticize the government without answering to corporate sponsors and the level of control they wield.

Do you pay any attention to the funders of the programming on PBS listed at the start and end of each program? Liberal? Republican? Look again... and then remember that it doesn't matter which side pays if your getting what THEY paid for rather than what YOU paid for. The P in PBS stand for PUBLIC not PROFIT.

[edit on 4/23/2005 by Gools]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Slank, I have met just as many less than brilliant liberals as I have conservatives. Your party affiliation does not determine your IQ, no matter what you believe or have been told.

It always seems those that must call others names, are really just building themselves up, by tearing others down. Build yourself up in a better way, one that supports your viewpoint vs trying to discredit anothers.

During the election, all I heard was "Republicans are stupid!" "You would have to be an idiot to vote for Bush" "Bush is a moron". RARELY did I hear what was GOOD about Kerry. That may be where the Dem's and liberal views are losing out. They are not showing what is good about their beliefs, just what is wrong with everyone elses.

Want to turn someone's listening off?? Call them stupid. You can be assured they won't hear a single thing you say

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
So what!? If you don't like PBS...turn the damn channel! There will always be a sway towards one way or the other.....get over it. You have a brain, you have movement of your limbs....avoid PBS, block it out, whatever..... no one is forcing anyone to watch it if they don't like it.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
So what!? If you don't like PBS...turn the damn channel! There will always be a sway towards one way or the other.....get over it. You have a brain, you have movement of your limbs....avoid PBS, block it out, whatever..... no one is forcing anyone to watch it if they don't like it.

Yeah.. kinda like avoiding those threads that you really don't like.. Right LadyV?

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Can you imagine the hoots and howls if the government funded FOX News? However, it's just fine to liberals that NPR and PBS is funded by the government and spews forth the most liberal biased news by any American news source.

EXACTLY! My tax money supports this crap. It's about time that
it got a major overhaul. I wouldn't even put NPR into a 'news
source' category. You were generous. It's just propaganda...
paid for with my tax $$.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
no one is forcing anyone to watch it if they don't like it.

Normally I'd agree with you on this. But PBS is different. The funding
is different. Government $$ - OUR $$ - is supporting it. If it were
CBS, NBC, ABC or whatever I'd say turn the channel or get a group
together to write letters and complain about something. But with
PBS and NPR the funding is different and therefore we all have a
right to complain about it more strongly.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
PBS was the onliest station to show Wal-Mart for what it really is. Destroying small town businesses, U.S. production (because of Wal-Mart there is only one television factory left in the whole U.S.) and U.S. jobs. Furthermore, practically all their stuff is mad in China (with inhumane cheap labor) and sold to the U.S. IMPORTED.

And furthermore, the Wayne Dwyer show on PBS, about creating your desired reality with your mind was good. Do they want to take that off too?

It would be a shame. They want only corporate controlled television stations on the air.

[edit on 23-4-2005 by TheBandit795]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I don't dislike PBS, In years past, it was the only channel to run programs that were educational. Like Nova. I used to watch that all the time growing up. It was interesting and alot better to view than something like "three's company".

Nowadays, there is educational TV all over. The news on PBS reaches so few, I really don't care. It truly is B O R I N G. I think the majority of news has a liberal bias. You aren't going to find *unbiased* news anywhere. I just don't really believe ANY of it.

I have a friend who doesn't own a TV. She gets all her news from NPR and I quote her "It is the only true and unbiased news source, it is who I believe". Suuuure, but then she has no other source, so she is a sheeple to NPR. Love her to death, but, don't agree with her on current events. Though I get mine from many sources and mediums.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Fox News is supported by the government, in fact one of the main big boys is GWB's cousin. Not only that but all but 1(now 2, Washington Post was going to expose Bill for being a registered republican for over 30 years while saying he was moderate so he switched his reg. card to a third party) are registered republicans. The Dark Knight of the GOP was hired to fire anyone who wasn't a registered republican. And even today they are going on about the WMD threat of Iraq even though the white house said there was none. According to people who don't watch Fox News, there is no link to OBL and Saddam, and Iraq never had WMDs, but people who watch Fox News think the opposite, which is wrong. OBL and Saddam hated each other, OBL thought Saddam was to Liberal, and as we know Iraq has no WMDs. But Fox isn't going to let the truth get in the way of a good story. Also, they sued to make it legal to lie and call it news, and won. Also fired 2 reporters for not lying as ordered. Yes, they are so non-biased.

Also, PBS does news? What? "Going to the field reporter with the latest on this 3 car pile up. Count, what is going on?" "There are 3, count them 3 cars, Mwahahahahaha!"

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
People don't like to hear the truth. It hurts. It makes people feel uncomfortable. People don't want to believe that their government could do wrong. It makes them feel insecure. They want to feel protected. So any source that tells the truth, that includes the fact that their government may be wrong at times, is going to come under attack by those who aren't intellectually curious. Unfortunately, since it is human nature to have a pack mentality, that includes a lot of Americans.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Curme, as most know by now, Ed Singer has even stated that the truth is liberal. That's right, according to someone who worships Bush/the GOP, the truth is liberal. Wow, well, I'd rather be a gay/black/jew/liberal then a white/rich/christian/republican if being a republican meant following lies and BS.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I wouldn't even put NPR into a 'news
paid for with my tax $$.

Damn...I never realized that jazz programs or Prairie Home Companion was liberal propaganda! What next, you going to claim that National Geographic and Nature are anti-american? Such total BS. There's like 3 news shows on PBS, and one of them is hardcore economics.

I find this hilarious. 'PBS is such liberal propaganda... I hate it. Let's make it government funded conservative propaganda!'

DE

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Wait you say that PBS is Liberal but isnt Tucker Carlsons show on PBS also
www.pbs.org...

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Ya know, there are more than one side to the "truth" Have you ever thought that maybe the truth is NOT reported at all?? Or maybe partial truths? What I see on the news is usually spin from whatever side it is being spun by.

I know some higher ranking soldiers. The truth is NOT reported. If you feel that the liberal spin is intellectually superior, knock yourself out. If you feel that the conservitive slant is correct, enjoy that version of "truth".

Personally, it is all entertainment. All about ratings. I like Fox as it is the most entertaining to me. I don't believe any of it.

As far as I know, Fox is NOT supported by the government financially. Sounds more like friends of GWB privately invest in a corporation, more power to them.

Your choice is to turn off the tv or watch it.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Yeah.. kinda like avoiding those threads that you really don't like.. Right LadyV?

Exactly! Have you seen me around a whole lot lately? What about a lot of other older members......

Oh yeah...forgot my winkie eye...

[edit on 4/23/05 by LadyV]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
EXACTLY! My tax money supports this crap. It's about time that
it got a major overhaul. I wouldn't even put NPR into a 'news
paid for with my tax $$.

And they say liberals are angry... pshaw.

The argument about liberal bias vs. conservative bias is unwinnable. Neither side wants "fair and balanced" reporting. Both want their bias to be favored... for the conservatives, it basically means they want TV stations to tell the "truth", which in their minds happens to be their point of view.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
And I forgot my quip... changes coming to Sesame Street... those righteous conservatives will have Burt finally marry a real Gawd-fearin' woman and have kids instead of hanging around with that homosexual Ernie

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Rush Limbaugh is on umpteen broadcast channels.

If it isn't Bible Thumping it isn't an objective viewpoint is it? Its that bogeyman liberal media.

Its fine if you are addicted to Rush, just don't force the rest of us to listen to him.

i would like just one channel that presents science and cares more about people than Religious dogma.

You want to God's willing slave or sycophant, that is your choice.
I want to be an independent, logical, thinking person and that is my choice.

If you need your daily confirmation that you are not alone in your bigotry and denial of scientific facts, just tune in to Rush.

Interestingly some PBS stations did for some period broadcast Rush.
But I don't suppose that goes into your equation. It has to be YOUR viewpoint all the time and no other viewpoint, . . . EVER.

If you ever watched PBS you would find many different viewpoints are expressed, Not just a narrow caustic Religious tirade you get elsewhere.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Slank, don't you see how you sound *just like* those you are attacking?? I, personally, see much more liberal bias on the TV than I do conservative. If I want a conservative bias, I turn on Fox. I don't see that much on PBS, as I just don't watch that much of it. The kids like Dragon Tales on it and that is about it. They watch alot more animal planet than anything. This morning the TV is tuned to discovery about sharks.

Back to the news. Even in my southern town there are liberal stations on the radio. Granted, you have to turn to the AM dial, but they are there. I have listened to them. If you hate Rush, by all means, do NOT turn him on your dial. If you have too little programming for your taste, anty up and get satellite radio, plenty of *whatever* you want to hear.

I hear alot more complaining, picketing, protesting from the liberal side of things than I ever hear from conservatives. You might see a TV evangelist espousing their viewpoint, but then, so does alot of Hollywood personas for their viewpoint

Whatever your arguement, it is better done with facts and positive points of your viewpoint vs calling the other side stupid, derogatory names ect;. Let the facts stand on their own. If you have to destroy your adversary before you can state your viewpoint, obviously it isn't strong enough to stand on its own

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
What bothers me about this thread is that nobody is questioning why the US government is running a TV station.

If PBS turns a profit it shouldnt need government funding. PBS should sink or swim with the free market along with other media outlets.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join