It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian activist and Putin critic Alexei Navalny dies in prison

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 06:06 AM
link   

The Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny has died in jail, the country’s prison service has said, in what is likely to be seen as a political assassination attributable to Vladimir Putin.

Navalny, 47, one of Putin’s most visible and persistent critics, was being held in a jail about 40 miles north of the Arctic Circle where he had been sentenced to 19 years under a “special regime”. In a video from the prison in January, he had appeared gaunt with his head shaved.

The Kremlin said it had no information on the cause of death.

Source

This is just breaking so there's not a lot of information. Russian media is reporting that Putin's chief political rival Alexei Navalny has died in prison. This comes after he was moved from one prison to another without informing his lawyers. After the move they were in contact with him for a bit but haven't had any contact with him for the past few months.

While I'm sure the Kremlin will claim he died from natural causes or some other BS reason, I think we can all agree this is just another political assassination that can be placed at the feet of Putin.

It will be interesting to see if this causes any unrest. Navalny was a fairly popular figure.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Killing opponents is business as usual in Russia .

Putin killed him ....

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Threadbarer

He seemed reasonably healthy considering his circumstances in the last video I watched of him.
More blood on Putin's hands.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 06:11 AM
link   

I can't say I'm surprised by his unfortunate demise, but I have to wonder if that was a smart move by Putin if it was indeed his call.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 06:15 AM
link   

RiP Alexei Navalny , Putin's blood lust continues.

He would be so proud.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Putin's chief political rival Alexei Navalny has died in prison

It’s funny that you are mourning this guy when you would cheer endlessly if the same thing happened to Biden’s chief political rival, Trump.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

His stoicism and continued good humour , as seen in that clip , were the hallmark of the man , a strong man murdered by an imp.

Putin moved him as far from Moscow as he could but that wasn't far enough, I hope he suffers the repercussions and suffers them hard.

US secretary of state Antony Blinken says that, should Alexei Navalny's death be confirmed, it underscores the "weakness and rot" at the heart of the Russian government.

"Russia is responsible for this," he said, according to the Reuters news agency.

Separately, White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan said the US was working to confirm the death of the Putin critic, who the Russian prison service died after falling ill on a walk.
news.sky.com...

Poisoned again.
edit on 16-2-2024 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Those Russian prisons are lousy with Novichok. What a terrible, unavoidable, accident.
edit on 16-2-2024 by Threadbarer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Edit: My bad.

I'm surprised he lasted this long to be honest.

There has got to be some fallout from this surely.
edit on 16-2-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I thought he was gone when they moved him to a different prison and his lawyers lost contact with him.

I'm sure there will be some protests but Putin will be sure to stomp them down.

The question is, why now? What is Putin trying to pull attention away from?

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Yep , the sad truth in Russia is ....good people get murdered there .

Via Telegram, reportedly the last photo of Navalny alive.

So many journalist also killed

List of journalists killed in Russia

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Thank goodness though that Tucker had such a perfect interview with Putin that clearly shows how good he is and how much better Russia is than the USA.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 07:45 AM
link   

The question is, why now? What is Putin trying to pull attention away from?

The list is long, that's for sure.

It's maybe just to reinforce the point that he can do whatever he pleases whenever he pleases without any sort of repercussions within his own nation.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

A signal to everybody in Russia , " dont cross the line or "

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I can’t help but to question the timing.

Seems pretty blatant. Almost like there was a PR run up to have more eyes on it by staying in the headlines.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I can’t help but to question the timing.

Seems pretty blatant. Almost like there was a PR run up to have more eyes on it by staying in the headlines.

Presidential election coming up in Russia, perhaps an act to highlight that Putin will not tolerate any dissidence?

Ultimately, he probably is in his own world where he does want he wants. The Tucker interview shows how he tries to twist and dominate the conversation.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Rather than jumping to conspiracy theories one has to take note that men do die pretty young in Russia. It's an unhealthy society for males.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 08:35 AM
link   
what navalny was told by fsb prsion guard imposter, just a few minutes before his death,

in a thick rusian accent while delivering his breakfast,

fsb prsion guard imposter: comrade alexei great news, glorious leader valdimir fartin.... opps valdanir putin has decided that his treatment of you has been a little to harsh. so for breakfast specially seasoned grenki topped with clostridium botulinum tainted raspberry jam, salmonella porridge, to finish off this filling breakfast, sweet piroshky fried to a golden brown sprinkled ground polonium-210 mixed with powered sugar. is nice no.

then for a even more special treat we're going to take a walk in the sub zero frozen prison yard, seeing how there's no 100 story buildings around that we can hold a kamikaze from the hundredth floor swan dive to the street competition for you to compete in.
but fear not, you'll still win.
edit on 16-2-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

I can be as sceptical as the next man and I frequently say we should wait until there's more information available but howay man, given Putin's opponents and those who have fallen out of favour with him track record for meeting untimely demise's surely you can see that this is incredibly suspicious?
And would you honestly believe any word coming out of Russia?

His death just before Russian 'elections' will serve as a clear reminder to all Russians that any opposition to Putin and his dictates will not be tolerated - I'm sure all those vocal defenders of freedom who support Putin's authoritarian rule will excuse away this death.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join