It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida House passes a bill to ban social media accounts for children under 16

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96
a reply to: quintessentone

Yeah yeah yeah start backtracking when people call you out, get over yourself bud

People can "deem" something unconstitutional all they want, but as I said before, ultimately its up to the high courts to decide. Either way, not unconstitutional in any way, but if you feel so feel free to explain it for us all.

You still refuse to answer a simple question, what a surprise. You'd think you would eventually learn the etiquette for being here but I guess not.

Back at ya bud, read the rules about harassment and bullying.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

Mandated morality?

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Asking questions is far from that bub

But if you answered questions people asked you instead of ignoring them or going off on your bs tangents things would actually get done around here.

Maybe you should take a look at them, don't think we don't all see your backhanded comments and insults.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Asking questions is far from that bub

But if you answered questions people asked you instead of ignoring them or going off on your bs tangents things would actually get done around here.

Maybe you should take a look at them, don't think we don't all see your backhanded comments and insults.

My right to select to whom and how I reply to is being exercised right now.
edit on q00000023131America/Chicago4343America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I seems it's gone from "letting kids be kids without the woke brainwashing" to "Make kids stay kids, through suppression of woke brainwashing"

Why not just create a freaking intranet at this point?

Create an "Under 16 Florida-approved" social media... Like The North Koreans.

edit on 26-1-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

Mine is parents better educate their children about being safe online. Schools could as well. Block the creeps and groomers. Problem solved. I had my childhood and teenage years in the 00s and early 10s, everyone could manage it when I was at school, I don't see why they can't now.

I am against further government restrictions because parents refuse to pay any attention to what their kids are doing or who they are talking to.

Absolutely, they can find ways now but are choosing the restrictive and/or to be determined taking away of parental rights to make those decisions.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33
a reply to: DBCowboy

I seems it's gone from "letting kids be kids without the woke brainwashing" to "Make kids stay kids, through suppression of woke brainwashing"

Why not just create a freaking intranet at this point?

Create an "Under 16" Florida-approved social media... Like The North Koreans.

I fight the evil leftists (online) all the time about parental rights, parental responsibilities, individual responsibilities.

Never thought I'd be fighting republicans as well.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Kind of hard to get a debate going when you only respond to those that you know you can "win" against.

Pretty sure that's called a bias.....oops

Good luck in your dream world bud

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Kind of hard to get a debate going when you only respond to those that you know you can "win" against.

Pretty sure that's called a bias.....oops

Good luck in your dream world bud

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: quintessentone
It's the new way, but only in Florida. Coming your way soon, big brother.

I'm hoping politicians in Florida pass more laws that usurp parental authority, parents are mostly stupid and politicians are mostly not.

They have not passed a law yet about not sticking my hand into a food processor!

HA!

FREEDOM!

(I typed this one-handed)

I know you're being facetious but a food processor doesn't require a user agreement while a media platform does. That's because the media platform is the proprietor and is liable for damages, especially when idiot parents want to pass the buck instead of owning their bed ethics.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Society shouldn't bear the cost for idiot parents.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:43 PM
link   
An interesting article:

Not surprisingly, parents are fed up. According to a recent U.S. survey led by Parents Together, an overwhelming 95% of parents say that they want stronger regulations for social media companies. And 93% think these companies aren’t doing enough to keep children safe. Tech companies have the tools and ability to monitor their platforms and make real, meaningful changes to respond to this ever-growing threat — and yet — they have done nothing.

It’s also past time for lawmakers to act. Fortunately, there is growing bipartisan support in Congress to address online safety, although legislation so far has failed. Just last year, President Biden established a task force to address online harassment and abuse, bringing the issue of online safety to the fore. These are important steps toward meaningful change, but the momentum needs to continue until effective legislation is passed and tech companies are finally held accountable.

Until then, parents are helpless to protect their children from online abuse, and children are left to suffer the consequences. Technology created this monster. Only technology can take it down.

The responsibility should fall on many shoulders to tackle this problem and parents are not helpless to protect their children from online abuse as the article implies because there is tech out there for parents to use to surveil their child's online activities, maybe that's what parents and schools need - education in tech. I do agree with the idea that technology created this monster and only technology can take it down. But I also read articles where social media platforms don't follow their own T&C so there is that too.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:51 PM
link   

a reply to: TzarChasm

Society shouldn't bear the cost for idiot parents.

Not society, just Florida. Those parents must have really dropped the ball to warrant legislation. Just like the elementary schools did.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:58 PM
link   

An interesting article:

Not surprisingly, parents are fed up. According to a recent U.S. survey led by Parents Together, an overwhelming 95% of parents say that they want stronger regulations for social media companies. And 93% think these companies aren’t doing enough to keep children safe. Tech companies have the tools and ability to monitor their platforms and make real, meaningful changes to respond to this ever-growing threat — and yet — they have done nothing.

It’s also past time for lawmakers to act. Fortunately, there is growing bipartisan support in Congress to address online safety, although legislation so far has failed. Just last year, President Biden established a task force to address online harassment and abuse, bringing the issue of online safety to the fore. These are important steps toward meaningful change, but the momentum needs to continue until effective legislation is passed and tech companies are finally held accountable.

Until then, parents are helpless to protect their children from online abuse, and children are left to suffer the consequences. Technology created this monster. Only technology can take it down.

The responsibility should fall on many shoulders to tackle this problem and parents are not helpless to protect their children from online abuse as the article implies because there is tech out there for parents to use to surveil their child's online activities, maybe that's what parents and schools need - education in tech. I do agree with the idea that technology created this monster and only technology can take it down. But I also read articles where social media platforms don't follow their own T&C so there is that too.

Very interesting indeed.
More rational valid reasons why this bill is a good idea.
Thanks for posting👍

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
Not society, just Florida. Those parents must have really dropped the ball to warrant legislation. Just like the elementary schools did.

They are ensuring the future population of more Florida Men to make comical news items. A society raised by government is a society of idiots.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vermilion

An interesting article:

Very interesting indeed.
More rational valid reasons why this bill is a good idea.
Thanks for posting👍

Not really, it shows that the responsibilities need to be taken on by social media platforms and governments too in high tech ways, not to take the easy way out and force laws that tech saavy children will easily circumvent any way. That bill/law will solve nothing.
edit on q00000001131America/Chicago4242America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

A society raised by government is a society of idiots.

That should be placed on a statue.

Then knocked down, because. . .. statues.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I 100% think that statue should be knocked down if it's naked and in a book.

I saw David at the Accadamia in Florence when I was 7 and I never recovered.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 01:09 PM
link   

What if the statue was a half-naked Plato?
edit on q00000009131America/Chicago2828America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I saw a naked guy named David when I was 7, but it was my scout leader.

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join