It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Baby Boomers Are Falling Into Homelessness - Fastest Growing Segment of Homeless Population

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: RonnieJersey

My wife and I talked about illegally crossing the border if we fly to Mexico.

I'll be El Guapo and she'll be Esmirelda, a forlorn flamenco dancer.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: RonnieJersey

My wife and I talked about illegally crossing the border if we fly to Mexico.

I'll be El Guapo and she'll be Esmirelda, a forlorn flamenco dancer.

And then are you going to open the 'Old Farts & Floosies' nursing home?

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 08:22 PM
link   
If you go Mexico and denounce your citizenship in the US.
Then sneak across the border seeking asylum? nThe 2200
dollars a month you'll receive from the federal gov. will
likely be quit a bitmore than your Social security. So I say
go for it.

a reply to: DBCowboy

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

I dont understand what you mean by sacrificing for their children so as to not live in poverty. She gets SS on his earnings anyway, and half of everything acquired over the long term relationship.

If parents are in poverty, how can they be subsidizing adult children?

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

I didn't suggest mandatory. Just supportive.

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels

I dont understand what you mean by sacrificing for their children so as to not live in poverty. She gets SS on his earnings anyway, and half of everything acquired over the long term relationship.

If parents are in poverty, how can they be subsidizing adult children?

One paycheck (? amount) does not cut it, even with government subsidies. Children are expensive. She also assumes half of all marriage debt.

It is termed 'gray divorce': (most women have the burden of being the prime caregiver to children and stay in the unequal/unhappy marriage until they become empty nesters then high tail it outta there).

As Baby Boomers enter retirement, their divorce rate is creeping up. In fact, here's what the data shows about couples within this age range.

Adults aged 55 to 64 have a divorce rate of 46%
Adults aged 65 tp 74 have a divorce rate of 39%
Adults aged 75 or older have a divorce rate of 24%

69% of Divorces Are Initiated by Women
Women are far more likely than men to initiate divorce. In fact, nearly 7 in 10 marriage dissolutions are initiated by the female partner. This is based on research involving heterosexual couples.[23]

Women often carry more of the mental load in a relationship, and also take on a primary caregiving role for children. The added burden they face—especially when they feel their support system is lacking—could help to explain why they are more likely to initiate divorce.

www.forbes.com...

I didn't say parents are living in poverty and subsidizing adult children. I was referring to any parent who has to subsidize an adult child that government should take that into consideration and offer tax credits.
edit on q00000035930America/Chicago0404America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 08:39 AM
link   

So you are proposing extending the family tax credits now given to dependent children to full grown adults.

If all they can find is flipping burgers, like you say, they should be out flipping burgers.

Or picking cotton.

Why should the govt subsidize full grown able adults.

People are too good to work?

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   

So you are proposing extending the family tax credits now given to dependent children to full grown adults.

If all they can find is flipping burgers, like you say, they should be out flipping burgers.

Or picking cotton.

Why should the govt subsidize full grown able adults.

People are too good to work?

Government nor anyone else should be pushing slave wage jobs that keep people in poverty. Governments made this economy they need to fix it.

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 08:56 AM
link   

So you are expecting a govt solution to a govt created problem????

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

People that don't want to work, shouldnt expect to eat. And any work is better than having your elderly parents support your lazy ass.

My son has struggled since the pandemic. He works maybe 2 or 3 shifts per MONTH as a longshoreman, which he just managed to get hired on after 5 years on the hopefulls list. Then the pandemic came, and the longshorman strike on the west coast. So he works three nights a week bartending. Its hard to juggle two jobs with different schedules. He often has come from a full night of bartending and gone directly to the port to perform a very dangerous job in the damn rain.
His wife is cleaning rich ladies houses. My young 15 year old grandson has a 'button business' for a couple of extra hundred a month. They make business cards. They have an embroidery machine and make custom ballcaps etc. They have a t-shirt printing machine. They work fairs.

They WORK. Both of them. To feed their family. They get tax breaks.

WHat they haven't done, is ask their retired mom for a dime. My son is too PROUD to accept money from me. They know I'm a safety net, but will have to be down to the kids being hungry before they will ask. So Im saving up for that day in case things get even worse and the bar he works in closes, or he gets hurt at the port, or any other castastrophe occurs.

This 'govt need to support capable adults is for the lazy, and is absurd.
edit on 9/14/2023 by CoyoteAngels because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

The authorities reduced the number of elderly, using Covid19. Worked a little.

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

You sound like my Mother.

I belong to a family of 10. 5 brothers and 4 sisters. We were blessed to have come from a loving family and have remained close.

My sister got sick a long way back and my mother sold everything and moved in with me to help me raise my sister's three children. She has always been our rock.

She will be 90 next year but is still highly functioning, sound of mind, and sharp as a tack. She is terrified of being a burden to her children.

My siblings and I have this conversation often. There are only 8 of us left. She has recently been diagnosed with cancer so we talk almost daily. My siblings have already made plans to alternate their time with helping to care for Mom when needed. Even some of the grandchildren have offered to help.

I know exactly how you feel. I understand completely the fear of being a burden to my family and would try to do anything I could reasonably do to avoid that, outside of suicide.

But the crazy thing is, that I would be devastated if my Mother did not allow us to care for her, and to supply her with the love and support that she would need in whatever time she has left.

Not one of her remaining 8 children see her as a burden. Like my baby brother says, "How could I not bathe your dirty behind, when you have washed my soiled behind, washed my dirty draws, feed me, housed me, took care of me when I was healthy, and when I was sick.

You have held my hand till I could stand, lifted me when I fell, and have cried for me and prayed for me when, I was happy, when I was sad, and stood by me when I was wrong and when I was right. So why would you not allow me the honor of caring you a few steps along your final journey?"

There is no doubt in my mind that every one of my siblings consider it an honor and a privilege to care for our Mother.

There was 10 of us. Mother had the magic of making all of her children believe that she loved them best. If she should take care of all of us, all of us can take care of her. It is the least we can do.

I understand not wanting to be a burden, but don't be so selfish that you steal the joy from your children if they "want' to care for you.

edit on 14-9-2023 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Clean up on aisle 3.

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 10:08 AM
link   

So you are expecting a govt solution to a govt created problem????

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

People that don't want to work, shouldnt expect to eat. And any work is better than having your elderly parents support your lazy ass.

My son has struggled since the pandemic. He works maybe 2 or 3 shifts per MONTH as a longshoreman, which he just managed to get hired on after 5 years on the hopefulls list. Then the pandemic came, and the longshorman strike on the west coast. So he works three nights a week bartending. Its hard to juggle two jobs with different schedules. He often has come from a full night of bartending and gone directly to the port to perform a very dangerous job in the damn rain.
His wife is cleaning rich ladies houses. My young 15 year old grandson has a 'button business' for a couple of extra hundred a month. They make business cards. They have an embroidery machine and make custom ballcaps etc. They have a t-shirt printing machine. They work fairs.

They WORK. Both of them. To feed their family. They get tax breaks.

WHat they haven't done, is ask their retired mom for a dime. My son is too PROUD to accept money from me. They know I'm a safety net, but will have to be down to the kids being hungry before they will ask. So Im saving up for that day in case things get even worse and the bar he works in closes, or he gets hurt at the port, or any other castastrophe occurs.

This 'govt need to support capable adults is for the lazy, and is absurd.

I think Biden has the right idea, that being, wealth creation from the middle out and the bottom up and the rich start paying taxes. People need motivation for working and I can't think of anything better than a living wage and actually being able to obtain that dream.

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

I think Biden has the right idea, that being, wealth creation from the middle out and the bottom up and the rich start paying taxes. People need motivation for working and I can't think of anything better than a living wage and actually being able to obtain that dream.

I’m asking sincerely (not being sarcastic) what exactly has Biden done to that end?

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

I’m asking sincerely (not being sarcastic) what exactly has Biden done to that end?

My point was for stating that idea was replying to how government could fix what government has broken. How that can be achieved is a whole other discussion.

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 11:17 AM
link   

- Biden hasn't done a damn thing for anyone except himself.
- "Living wage" means paying burger flippers the same as engineers, and that's not fair.
- Rich people DO pay taxes. They pay the most.
The bottom half of wage earners pay next to nothing in taxes.
Rape the rich doesn't work.

EASILY GOOGLED - High-Income Taxpayers Paid the Majority of Federal Income Taxes. In 2020, the bottom half of taxpayers earned 10.2 percent of total AGI and paid 2.3 percent of all federal individual income taxes. The top 1 percent earned 22.2 percent of total AGI and paid 42.3 percent of all federal income taxes.

CBS News Who Pays the Most Taxes

Because of the system of tax benefits and transfers, such as taxpayer-funded programs like Medicaid and public housing assistance, the lowest-earning Americans actually receive more from the government than they pay in income taxes, according to a recent analysis of tax data from the Tax Foundation

The highest-earning Americans pay the most in combined federal, state and local taxes, the Tax Foundation noted. As a group, the top quintile — those earning $130,001 or more annually — paid $3.23 trillion in taxes, compared with $142 billion for the bottom quintile, or those earning less than $25,000.

edit on 9/14/2023 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 11:19 AM
link   

www.cnbc.com...

Just for a start?

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Dbl

edit on 14-9-2023 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 11:59 AM
link   

www.cnbc.com...

Just for a start?

I think you may want to cite a different example. Even Biden has acknowledged that it didn’t do what they said it would (and also says what we were told was not the actual purpose).

Biden Admits Inflation Reduction Act failed

Biden regrets calling it Inflation Reduction

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

This is actually my great fear - being old and homeless. We have done everything 'right'. Worked. Saved. 401K and pension at husbands work. But by my calculations we will be out of money at age 85 and that's only if everything goes alright and there are no surprises.

No worries FlyersFan - the eugenicist psychopaths at the Rockefeller's Hastings Centre and the 'WEF Future of Health Care Committee' have got you covered.

Apparently the Hippocratic Oath should become 'obsolete' and people should 'choose to die at the age of 75'.

Nazi Eugenics Rebranded As 'Bioethics'.

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Well that is some BS.
How hard is it to make a younger person move to the top bunk?

As far as the rest of it, we stopped giving the proper care to the elderly, when we stopped having multi-generations all living together.

It really was a great set up. The older people took care of the children, and usually helped around the house, while the middle aged either farmed or worked.

Why did we stop doing this?

First thing that came to mind was society convinced itself being a loose spinster of either gender was Peak Freedom?

Kinda hard to keep all that going when someone didn't bother to build their own family despite allllllll those decades to do so.
edit on 9/14/2023 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join