It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homunculus or emergence behind your person?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2023 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Homunculus or emergence behind your person?

Sometimes I think both especially when my gut (intuition) is telling me one thing and my intellect is telling me another.

posted on Aug, 27 2023 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Never mind

Apologies to whoever starred the post before I removed it.

edit on 27/8/23 by Astyanax because:

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cwantas

The universal definition of consciousness is "state of being aware of and responsive to one's surroundings".

So it's levels of consciousness.

That’s the Oxford rudimentary definition of the word. But if you take it a step further. Where (if anywhere) does your consciousness reside, and how does it relate to your person?

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33
a reply to: Consumer

I view the conscious mind like a computer. We have evolved inputs (senses) and a CPU to process a real time feed. And much like a computer I feel we defer our "totally free" decision making to a preprogrammed preference. Consciousness like the .exe on our program.

Ok, so would you say behavior is mostly automatic? And your consciousness generally work as a spectator?

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

I think this is a hurdle neurosciences need to tackle in order to find a satisfactory answer to that age old question.

So true. But in the mean time, we can always engage in the age old ways of discussion and thought experiments

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

No one can be a Dennet fan, lol.

Neti neti.

Daniel would disagree

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 06:50 PM
link   

If there is no one behind the mask (person) then who can have freewill?

To be or not to be? Is that the question?

Yes, that’s definitely part of the crux. And what appears in fmri-studies.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Have you heard the term non duality before?

Absolutely, to me it’s quite close to the Jungian concepts.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Consumer

The universal definition of consciousness is "state of being aware of and responsive to one's surroundings".

So it's levels of consciousness.

That’s the Oxford rudimentary definition of the word. But if you take it a step further. Where (if anywhere) does your consciousness reside, and how does it relate to your person?

Our consciousness is that of a child's consciousness, or maybe not....where does it resides? everywhere, how does it relate to our "your" person, ask a down syndrome for the most truthful answer.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Consciousness would seem a necessary precondition for free will to exist. But is it, really? Might it not be possible, depending on how you define your terms, for you to exert free choice unconsciously?

Interesting. So here the terms of how consciousness relates to free will has to be decided. If you’re not consciousiously involved with decisions, in what way are they “willed”, as it were?

Your second post is an articulation of what is infamously known as the Hard Problem. It has bedevilled thinkers since the days of Anaxagoras --

I really appreciate your honest and thought out engagement here. I’m also well aware of the prior discussions as to the hard problem and certainly have no illusions of solving it in this thread
. What I am interested in however, is intuitive - rather than predefined or formal thinking and discussion - on the subject.

My own position is that there are aspects of the Hard Problem that will remain forever beyond the reach of empirical investigation. We shall never be able to say with scientific authority what consciousness is…

I’m curious as to what your intuition tells you; lacking a final and definitive scientific truth to lean on?

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: UtIntusSicForis

My suspicion is that consciousness is what the line "made in the image of god" is referring too.

That’s interesting. So would that mean consciousness is shared?

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

you mean Daniel Dennett? I don't know doesn't he deal more with memory than consciousness per se?

Um, yes, Dainel is the Dennet I was referring to. If you’re actually interested in his positions on the subject, you’re in luck. He wrote a book, very Dennet-like, humbly named: “Consciousness Explained”.

Aside from that we stumble upon the first issue in the discussion:
intelligence, awareness, memory, consciousness

Are they seperate things, interconnected, does one emerge from the other and how do we define the basic three (intelligence, awareness and memory) and what influence does it have on our view of consciousness?

We’ll look at you, you’ve found additional questions originating on the original inquiry. Excellent. So how would you try and answer them?

what are your thoughts? Since this is a rather lazy OP, show me yours first

Lol? You need my view, before you’ll share yours..?

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
Sometimes I think both especially when my gut (intuition) is telling me one thing and my intellect is telling me another.

Yes, interesting. This speaks to the classic dichotomy of intuition and rational thought.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Our consciousness is that of a child's consciousness, or maybe not....where does it resides? everywhere, how does it relate to our "your" person, ask a down syndrome for the most truthful answer.

I’m not sure I get your point here, so borrowing your perspective of a child; please try and explain what you mean by this as straightforwardly as possible?

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I don't think so.
In my opinion the verbage would be different.
Perhaps, "of the image of god"?

I think the whole idea of "consciousness = god" is more of the human psychology getting in the way.
Something we do often.

Based, in a way, off the idea that "Well if everyone believed/saw things the way I do.
We'd have utopia." which in my opinion hopelessly myopic at best.
edit on 2/9/2023 by UtIntusSicForis because: Can't sleep. Clowns will eat me.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: UtIntusSicForis

Utopia means no place or nowhere.

Now/here is all there is.

edit on 3-9-2023 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

We seem to have no clue where/what/how/when consciousness really is and there are many different assumptions as to what the word even means...

That which is created as an experience in our brain seems to have an influence beyond our brain. I think this is a hurdle neurosciences need to tackle in order to find a satisfactory answer to that age old question.

Consciousness is the ability to have an unsolicited thought. It is the essence or self-awareness, which is a biological process not possible in any form of AI or machine.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Consciousness is now.......it is aware of itself.

It's the seer and seen......'they' are not two.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Not possible, yet.
Most likely consciousness is a emergent phenomenon.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

O_o
Funny thing is you're serious....

<< 1  2   >>

join