It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Progressive Insurance Sued for 'Patently Unlawful' Racism Against White Man

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This is a hot potato. Progressive insurance, the one with the Flo commercials, is being sued by a white man who says he was discriminated against because he isn't black. Progressive was offering $25,000 grants to blacks only to help them buy vehicles. They said the man couldn't get one because he is white. Progressive said it was for blacks only because they have had it harder to access capital for business'.

Daily Mail

Progressive insurance has been sued for 'patently unlawful' racism by offering $25,000 grants to help black-owned businesses buy vehicles — but barring white, Asian, Latino, and other entrepreneurs from applying.

The lawsuit was filed by the conservative group America First Legal (AFL) and others on behalf of Nathan Roberts, the owner of Ohio-based Freedom Truck Dispatch, who couldn't apply because he's white.

Progressive, which is known for its quirky adverts, did not answer DailyMail.com's requests for comment. They have said the grants were there to help black-owned firms that have historically struggled to access capital.

AFL lawyer Gene Hamilton said the case was part of a broader assault against big corporations that inject 'racial considerations into every aspect of their business operations, employment practices, and so much more.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Another reason why I Turned my back on the Democratic Party.

They are the True Slave owners , They replaced real Chains with Invisible Chains in the form of Government assistance .

People will wake up , not WOKE .
edit on 18-8-2023 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I am really curious as how this case will pan out? I got a feeling there will be appeals upon appeals and it will make it to the Supreme Court someday down the road.
edit on 8 18 2023 by Ilikesecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Yes would like to see how this plays out as well....Sad part is these things just keep happening and no one thinks anything of it

Liberty Mutual discriminates against white employees - LINK

‘Best Buy manager training program not open to whites’ - LINK

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 04:22 PM
link   
That's why I haven't wanted to go with "Progressive" ever, no matter how badly I 'need' insurance. The name says it all.
Insurance is a giant scam anyway, fear based alot of it IMO.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight
That's why I haven't wanted to go with "Progressive" ever, no matter how badly I 'need' insurance. The name says it all.

It's a scam until you need it. And BTW, it's required.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

you are right, its required. i have thrown countless thousands of dollars into the wind over the years with progressive. but still less than it would take with other companies. my car is so old now that even if i did require their assistance i would never be able to buy another car, mine is not worth much any more. so why do i keep throwing money at them? i really dont know anymore.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: ancientlight

It's a scam until you need it. And BTW, it's required.

Crazy right , It's the Law to pay these giant fraud machines every month

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 06:22 PM
link   

It's a scam until you need it

Hahahaha .
That would be a correct statement .
But you never know when you will need it .
So , is it really a "scam" until then ?

(bold by me for emphasis.)

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I had Progressive insurance for about 10 years .
Kept full coverage on my vehicles there. (paid off or not)
Until one day I called for a cracked windshield and got what appeared to be a call center instead of a Progressive agent .
I ended our relationship as soon as my windshield was repaired .
edit on 8/18/23 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Hahahaha .

We have easy metrics, quantatives and analog.

Auto
Health

What did they cost before mandated insurance versus after?

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: Gothmog

Hahahaha .

We have easy metrics, quantatives and analog.

Auto
Health

What did they cost before mandated insurance versus after?

You are replying to "The Million Dollar Man"
No joke.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
This is a hot potato. Progressive insurance, the one with the Flo commercials, is being sued by a white man who says he was discriminated against because he isn't black. Progressive was offering $25,000 grants to blacks only to help them buy vehicles. They said the man couldn't get one because he is white. Progressive said it was for blacks only because they have had it harder to access capital for business'.

Daily Mail

Progressive insurance has been sued for 'patently unlawful' racism by offering $25,000 grants to help black-owned businesses buy vehicles — but barring white, Asian, Latino, and other entrepreneurs from applying.

The lawsuit was filed by the conservative group America First Legal (AFL) and others on behalf of Nathan Roberts, the owner of Ohio-based Freedom Truck Dispatch, who couldn't apply because he's white.

Progressive, which is known for its quirky adverts, did not answer DailyMail.com's requests for comment. They have said the grants were there to help black-owned firms that have historically struggled to access capital.

AFL lawyer Gene Hamilton said the case was part of a broader assault against big corporations that inject 'racial considerations into every aspect of their business operations, employment practices, and so much more.

If these are grants, that means they are gifts. A company like Progressive (or any other insurance company) cannot discriminate against customers on the basis of race. That means they have to offer the same insurance policies to whites as they do to blacks or any other racial group. But I don't think there's any law that says they can't give gifts to whoever they want for whatever reason they want and not give those gifts to other people.

There's also no law that says customers who are offended by this can't take their business elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Not sure if that will go anywhere considering a lot of places, have programs for minorities; such as education. Not sure if I have a take on this beyond that black folks had a long history of getting screwed over; so by having some grants to increase black-owned business' doesn't sound like a big deal.

At the end of the day, progressive probably can't afford to give everyone $25k grants for all business owners and i don't see the harm in helping a minority groups that was historically opressed from financial success until recent history.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51

you are right, its required. i have thrown countless thousands of dollars into the wind over the years with progressive. but still less than it would take with other companies. my car is so old now that even if i did require their assistance i would never be able to buy another car, mine is not worth much any more. so why do i keep throwing money at them? i really dont know anymore.

Because of liability. If your car is old you should be able to drop collision and comprehensive and save quite a bit. They will never give you more than Blue Book, regardless of how well you have maintained the car, and if your car is too old, it won't even be in Blue Book. If your car is over 25 years old you may qualify for "Vintage" insurance, sometimes called "Collector Car" or even "Horseless Carriage." There may be a mileage requirement, but in my experience they never checked. (I had a 67 Jaguar for a few years.)

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I hafta disagree on this.

I could develop a grant for left-handed Gingers.

It's a Grant.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Progressive Insurance has ALWAYS Been WOKE . What did You Expect ?

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer
But I don't think there's any law that says they can't give gifts to whoever they want for whatever reason they want and not give those gifts to other people. .

Pretty sure you are right.
However it would be nice if they offered it to ANYONE hard up, not just black people.

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Doing anything based on race is racist, I don't care if there's a legal loophole.

I hope they get slapped hard for this, and then I hope the schools are next- loans/ discounts/ financial aid based on race is racist

At work, hiring people/ promoting people based on race is racist.

This is dumb and should have been stopped by now

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 08:59 AM
link   
When State Farm bailed on not being able to fulfill their debt from hurricane Katrina? Other underwriters of other insurance agencies bought out some of State Farms debt and company and did payouts that State Farm could not deliver. In doing so many of the other insurance companies have started mirroring State Farms corporate model knowing they could do the same thing like a pyramid scheme and that other insurance companies and underwriters will buy them out when they can't payout from some major occurrence as well.

As having been a customer in the area where Katrina hit for well over a decade and seeing discount applied but no amount change of less in payments and then after Katrina and my rates went up when they tried to cover that debt? Is when I decided to go to another place and get a different policy; Seeing that new one starting to become like State Farm was is just making it the same people as State Farm with just a different name is irritating.

Say for instance you only have one that covers autos and are pros at it and not divided with other types... GREAT! Then everything else starts getting added? It means your service and your rates are going to reflect on all that other stuff not autos... meaning NOT great.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join