It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are the people in your world doing financially?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:06 PM
link   
What a rollercoater these last few years have been.

I'm around a lot of young people and the only reason many of them are floating is that they have parents helping.
Multi generational homes are going to be here for a while.

These kids are no freeloaders either. Almost all the kids I'm talking about have a more than full time job, and many have second jobs. Many are hustling even doing those things, and it's not enough to afford a place of their own.

This isn't a discussion so much about wages, but more so the cost of living. I'm talking about the US, but I hear similar things from places like the UK, Germany, France, etc. Some Americans are choosing to permanently leave the US for Southeast Asia, or Central America just so they stand a chance at a normal life.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Living within your means , makes a huge difference, especially now. Many want the latest phones, take outs , eating out, newest appliances, holidays , a bigger place than they can afford etc. It all adds up. I used everything until it stops working. I drive a 2005 car , my phone is second hand galaxy s9, appliances are 20+ years old , always cook from scratch etc.

I would love to get take-outs , a newer car , shiny new things off course, but I make sacrifices. Constantly , every day.
Sacrifice now and feel better later.
Saving and investing (real estate, index funds etc) are esssential . Also an emergency fund.
edit on 9-8-2023 by ancientlight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:25 PM
link   
We are entering retirement.
The pay cut measured against the cost of living is frightening.
Sometimes I can't sleep at night from worry.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Some Americans are choosing to permanently leave the US for Southeast Asia, or Central America just so they stand a chance at a normal life.

Oh, the irony! People moving to a country that is moving here for the extra perks America offers to 'migrants' seeking a better life.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Here, everyone that wants a job has one, wages are up but cost of living has gone up enough that young people are struggling, However some are being very creative in their cost cutting endeavors. Down in the valley, 3 young couples have bought a 100year old ramshackle adobe, are living in it and working on it, huge garden, old unkempt orchard, perfect for a B&B when they finish the project.

The economy is basically doing well here in the Land of Enchantment even with tourism down. Big industries moving in and expanding. Like google, intel, Netflix, NBCadvantage, Kellogs, Halliburton, the ever expanding government/military/defense/ logistics/ research facilities, oil and gas, and entertainment production.

I was retired back in 08 but lost everything in the crash. Back to work..... livin the dream!

edit on 9-8-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:30 PM
link   
it depends...

I can now afford a room in a nice apartment in a nice but affordable area

the downside is that a lot of groceries are still expensive, even in the small markets, and the money i have left over from rent goes very fast

for example, a few days ago, I had to stop at a small grocery store. two bottles of milk, a lunch meat and cheese combo pack, tortillas, pasta, green sauce and mustard cost me 46 soles, and these aren't fancy brands either

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight

Living within your means , makes a huge difference, especially now. Many want the latest phones, take outs , eating out, newest appliances, holidays , a bigger place than they can afford etc. It all adds up. I used everything until it stops working. I drive a 2005 car , my phone is second hand galaxy s9, appliances are 20+ years old , always cook from scratch etc.

I would love to get take-outs , a newer car , shiny new things off course, but I make sacrifices. Constantly , every day.
Saving and investing (real estate, index funds etc) are esssential . Also an emergency fund.

I totally subscribe to living within your means, which is something I have learned to do. However, the problem is if you are working a full time job, you should be able to reward yourself with all of the above, as well as being able to pay your bills. The fact that many people can't because rent and utilities are skyrocketing shows where the problem truly lies. We only live once, and it's not right or fair that people have to spend their entire week working to get some rich people even richer while struggling. What a waste of life.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Super ,thanks for asking , plenty money to get wired out of their faces , business is booming

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

well, I kind of did that, but I have at least integrated with the local populace.

the ones that are causing problems are the ones that stay in their "expat" enclaves, refuse to learn the language most times, and are driving up the prices.

my dream after I am done working in Peru is to move permanantly to Mendoza, Argentina, but being part of the expat groups, i can see that house prices are going up and most rentals are starting to want dollars instead of argentine pesos

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Not many "kids" in my family; the youngest is a twenty-something. He's been married about a year now, and just purchased a house with his spouse late last year in a Sierra Nevada foothills town. No kids yet, they both have good jobs.

The rest of us are retirees, one couple just moved in to a newly built home in AZ, just before Phoenix started its record heatwave.

Cost of living could always be lower...but then we could always be richer, thinner, more attractive, etc...

edit on 9-8-2023 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

i try to limit take out to once a month, but sometimes you just have a day where you are tired and want to eat something quick and fast.

i try to opt for something that i can have leftovers for the next day

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Your post reminded me of a posted video that has a twenty something woman complaining about not being able to live on under 100k per year.

I couldn’t find the one I was looking for but found other examples.

Here’s one…

twitter.com...

It seems that some people have lost perspective and don’t quite understand what broke is anymore.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOfStuffx2

Your post reminded me of a posted video that has a twenty something woman complaining about not being able to live on under 100k per year.

Here’s one…

twitter.com...

It seems that some people have lost perspective and don’t quite understand what broke is anymore.

I’m torn on this… When I grew up we lived in a different time, some things now are considered the norm. For example, having indoor air conditioning. Having a cell phone.

I remember when microwaves first came out and they were very expensive. Now it would be rare for someone not to have one. Having a microwave doesn’t make me think someone is spoiled or that they have lost perspective. They are living in these times, not the 1970s.

Growing up we all thought 100K was the level of richness, that you made it. In some places now that would be average at best, in others that would be lower middle class.
edit on 9-8-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I'm fine. I have been working hard, saving, and I'm generally pretty good with managing my money.

Banks and credit cards pay me to do business with them, and never the other way around.

Fyi, student loan repayment goes into effect September 1st. A lot of people are in for quite the wake-up call.
edit on 9-8-2023 by IndieA because: spelling

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:52 PM
link   
You know, this is one of the disturbing things about life these days -

I mean, that despite the fact we are drowning in media, I feel as though it is harder than it's ever been to really know 'what is going on' outside my own area.

And it seems to me that - thanks to internet algorithms, which curate the news according to interest - very few people are even aware of how uninformed they are...which is why I'm so glad that ATS is still operating, because I can come to the New Topics section and see info on current events 'outside' the parameters of my internet newsfeeds.

Whoops, sorry for ranting a bit, it's not really 'off' topic though...

But in answer to your question:
Here in central Florida things are bad, but not so terribly bad that people can't make do, at least those who understand how to live on a budget.

My 25 year old daughter works two part time jobs - six days most weeks and is able to make ends meet, including her half of the $2600 per month rent for the two bedroom, two bath apartment she shares with a friend.

When I was her age, back in the late 80s, the same apartment was probably $500 a month.

My husband and I are retired, and we are ok financially, having lived somewhat frugally and got our mortgage paid off about ten years early.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I read that as, "Not so good, but I haven't quite gone under yet."

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MetalChickAmy

I totally subscribe to living within your means, which is something I have learned to do. However, the problem is if you are working a full time job, you should be able to reward yourself with all of the above, as well as being able to pay your bills. The fact that many people can't because rent and utilities are skyrocketing shows where the problem truly lies. We only live once, and it's not right or fair that people have to spend their entire week working to get some rich people even richer while struggling. What a waste of life.

True, and I agree. But many have debts and debts accumulate more debt (interest) so it makes sense to live within your means , at least while you're paying off debt. Once you have an emergency fund and are out of debt, it should be possible to save/fund investments and live a little. At this point I could affort to do more , but I'm so used to living with my means now I would feel guilty if I spend anything on take-out etc. Also, I'm not materialistic at all, so I have no problem in that area. But I 100% agree with you. If you're able to off course you should splurge too.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOfStuffx2

Here’s one…

twitter.com...

Exactly. My income is nothing near that and I have no debt and savings. All about priorities

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deplorable

I read that as, "Not so good, but I haven't quite gone under yet."

How so? I can easily afford to do so , I just choose not to, in order to save up for more investments.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 01:35 PM
link   
My husband and I are on disability and have to move in with his parents at the end of our lease because of the rent increases in our area...we simply cannot afford anyplace on our fixed incomes anymore.

We are about to go to the grocery store and make 40 dollars stretch far enough to cover the rest of the month.

We live in one of the poorest states in the union and there are no renters rights here.

Because of the rent hikes from out of state property owners the homeless population had doubled locally...mostly elderly and disabled on fixed incomes.

Social programs are underfunded and waiting lists can take years to process.

It's not good and most people have no idea it's happening.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join